Radford Virginia Rally - WT ???????????????????????????????

Post all your rally questions here so the Rally Hosts and others can help you. RALLY WRITEUPS: Tell us all about how you liked/didn't like any rally. RIDES/TRIP REPORTS: This is the place and note you can list your ride/event on the ICOA Calendar (Click Calendar at the top of the Forums page)
Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Well Harvey, heres your chance to help everyone out, give Mike C. the help he's looking for and get back to us.

jeff

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

harvey wrote:Since the 22nd of April, I have been on a trip to Galena, IL. I have had a wonderful time riding out and back, not on a CBX, but still riding. Then today I check this website and see that Mike C. has actually posted on the Forum! WOW, this is a new event!

Because I am also on the Brewer Mailist, I know Mike's distaste for websites and forums so I see his post and think this is a positive thing. Okay, his post deals with not being able to find info easily on the site. But does anyone offer to help him, NO, everyone who posts just attacks Mike except Larry. And what follows is a petty argument. Frankly, If I were considering joining the ICOA, after reading the pis--ng contest that followed, I would have the attitude of who needs you guys!

The upstart of this seems to be that if you and I disagree, we need to drive each other away. FALSE

Folks, if we are going to grow as a Club and as individuals we need to find ways to work through differences, and enjoy our primary mutual ground as folks who like to own and ride CBXs. And that includes not knocking any website that also supports CBXs. We all have our own views on many subjects and learning to get along together for the preservation of the CBX and having fun while doing it is more important than whether we communicate on the Brewer List, the ICOA forum or on CBXWorld.

Bravo Harvey, I agree with every single thing that you wrote. Thank you for speaking up.

I dearly aspire to help the club with it's online communications, and I think that happier days are indeed ahead of us, but only if the childish bickering, provocation, and innuendo comes to a halt.

I'm totally fine with disagreement, discussion, argument. Very productive at times. If it turns personal, and then childish sniping and tit for tat BS starts up, folks are going to get warned, privately. I want no part of 'holding the umbrella' for anyone that refuses to act their age, or treat this forum, the club, or each other with courtesy and respect.

The new board has a feature in users' control panel allowing them to define 'foes' and 'friends'. Defining someone a 'foe' effectively killfiles them, you will not see their posts. I respectfully suggest that if any of you are so provoked by somebody that you must engage in childish bickering that you either do it in PMs, or off the forum altogether, or killfile them. But don't do it here.

To be clear, if you get 3 warnings from me you are off for the forum for 3 months. Be nice or be gone.

As of 6 tonight we are cutting over to the new site, and it's a new day. Go with it, and please contribute to creating good content and a better atmosphere.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Mike Cecchini
Power Poster
Power Poster

Working together is what it's about.

Post by Mike Cecchini »

Hello Harvey,

Thank you for the kind words and a balanced perspective.

Second, I admit to a degree of responsibility due to my Forum frustration comments and how Forums separate people with pigeon hole commentary, when we should be striving to keep everyone together like the CBX List does.

Third, what those in support of the Forum fail to realize is that there's nothing basically wrong with having both the Forum and the CBX List (aka Brewers List). Most (many?) on the forum express "it's the Forum way.....or the highway". This mentality is what separates the Forum and the CBX List.......and it doesn't have to be this way.

The fact remains that there are a lot of long-time, well established ICOA members on the CBX List that are completely happy and content with it and how it has been run for 10+ yrs.......so why change ? Actually, there are many times when a brand new post is made on the CBX List (usually a question that needs an answer quickly) and the response is immediate and it get's dropped right into everyone's email inbox. The Forum requires members to log-in and go to each new post, so the Forum is so far behind in this situation.....while the CBX List rocks.

Why I (we) can't find things on the Forum.
1. Forum people live and breath there and by sheer repetition and exposure they learn where everything is, but too much on the forum isn't where it should be. There is repeated duplication and over-lapping threads that get bounced back and forth.... which seems to be a non-issue for those who spend enormous amounts of time there.... but for the rest of us that come occasionally to get our information (that should also be posted to the CBX List)..... we are frustrated, shake our heads and leave.

2. It would go a long way to helping occasional ICOA members to the forum if Forum regulars would step-up and make sure posts are posted in the proper places and (when the subject changes on a old thread) ...... start a new thread with the right subject line. This would help us CBX Listers 50%--80% , so if the Forum wants us there..... do what Forum posters are suppose to do and reduce the frustration levels.

All in all.... there are so many ICOA members on the CBX List that never will join the forum for so many individual reasons.....but the main reason is that the Brew List works incredibly well for us and we simply don't need or want to go on the Super Duper Forum and spend hours/days figuring out where everything is.........when we can just simply post on the CBX List.

In conclusion, please note, my Forum rumblings were not aimed at individuals. It was/is about the frustration and the pressure for all ICOA members to come to the Forum, so when I was personally the recipient of slams and slaps..... that is where the line was crossed. Like Harvey says, we can agree to disagree, but there is never a need to get personal, so let's keep posts on issue. If you don't want to read a post..... nobody is making you do it, so the decision is completely and totally yours to read a post about "the same old thing all the time".

The bottom line Ladies and Gentlemen...... there is room for all of us. Personally I see the Forum as a dis-service to many ICOA members that are not there as they prefer a much simpler way of exchaning ideas and information. I think we need to get away from the "either or" mentality because both will work hand-in-hand if we want this Club to stay together and grow.

Thank you........ Mike
It's not what you ride.....it's how you ride.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Mike & others, Thanks to Nils ( & other behind the scenes) hard work & fortitude we are beginning a new dawn. Let us all put the past behind us & move forward. We need to support the future not be mired in the past...

Love to hear your views on "Carburetors, Alternators, Brakes, Forks" etc. etc. etc.... Hey! & any other bike related stuff ?

The rest is......Well, may I be so bold as say "tiresome". You're not the only one mind you. So let's get off the soap box & offer REAL SUPPORT to CBXERS !!

Thank you... :cheers:

PS. It looks like you'll have 3 days to compose your retort but frankly we're not interested... :wink:
ICOA # 656

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Re: Radford Virginia Rally - WT ???????????????????????????

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Mike C. I'm confused here, you say its hard for you to navigate this site but on the Brewer list when you ask a question on there you get an answer within in the day. Its no different here, just look at your post at viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5868 , within two days there have been 15 replies discussing and answering your question. If you could just keep on point and make a post without all the drama you seem to interject into most of your posts members here wouldn't have an issue with your participation.

You must be realistic Mike and realize you have a history of making volatile posts wherever you go and people don't forget that and some just don't have the patience to see past it, me included. Its like trying to eat a coconut with just your teeth, ya there might be something worthwhile underneath the surface but its just not worth the trouble chewing through the hard exterior.

If you need some tips on using the site I'd be more than happy to work with you over the phone while your on the site, just PM me.

jeff

Mike Cecchini
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Mike Cecchini »

Hello Limey,

If you are not interested in this thread and it's positings, then why do you subscribe to it ? :?

Just unsubscribe fron the thread and move on mate.

Some of us need to work this situation out with pro/con discussions that just might allow us to make some progress.

Cheers....... Mike

Mike Cecchini
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Radford Virginia Rally - WT ??

Post by Mike Cecchini »

(quote) Jeff Bennetts »
Mike C. I'm confused here, you say its hard for you to navigate this site but on the Brewer list when you ask a question on there you get an answer within in the day. Its no different here, just look at your post at viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5868 , within two days there have been 15 replies discussing and answering your question.

<snip>

If you need some tips on using the site I'd be more than happy to work with you over the phone while your on the site, just PM me. (end quote)

Hello Jeff,

Actually responses on the CBX List are much quicker than a day..... more like 10 mins..... and at the most 30 mins. And while many times there is no real need for such immediate responses.....when someone needs help right now because they are in a desperate situation working on their bike.... a day later.....or two days later just won't work.

Thanks for the offer of Forum Tips....but I know how to navigate forums. It's the time it takes to navigate them that is the issue....and particularly when a thread is changed mid-stream and the poster dosen't change the subject line so a newbie thread search can find what he's looking for.

Many of you spend 3--10 hrs a day on the forum. This huge time allows you to nearly memorize where to find things at an instant. The rest of us that come here 3--5 times a month become confused and frustrated.

I will say that with Nils new ICOA Forum it alreay looks simplier in many ways.....so we've gotten to a great new start. I just hope you guys stay on topic in your posts so the rest of us can find what we need to find.

And please.....please....if you change topics in a thread..... announce that you are taking the new thread to a new topic thread. This is basic house keeping goes a long way towards keeping things straight for all of us.

Thanks Jeff.

Mike

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Mike I'm going to use this thread as a prime example of how a thread can morph into sub topics. Its human nature during an interaction with someone to jump to another topic.

Here is your first post to a thread that is titled "Radford Virgina Rally - WT ??????????

You posted,
How about somebody waking up and posting something on the 2010 Rally Calendar about the cancellation of the Radford, Virginia :shock:

Time after time after time...... I try to find something and it's a clusterpfugg trying to get even the most basic infomation.

And youi guys wonder why people stick with the Brewer List. :roll:

It only takes you one sentence before you have become off topic in your own post, then through out the thread you yourself address several other topics without changing the thread subject line or starting a complete new thread like your compaing about later.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

.. what those in support of the Forum fail to realize is that there's nothing basically wrong with having both the Forum and the CBX List (aka Brewers List). Most (many?) on the forum express "it's the Forum way.....or the highway". This mentality is what separates the Forum and the CBX List.......and it doesn't have to be this way.
Who ever said anything about that? Who said there is something wrong with having both? Nobody here wants the Brewer List to go away. Nobody says you can only be here or there. It is a fact, that the CBXPress and this Forum here are funded by the ICOA. The Brewer List is not. This automatically leads to the fact that these two communication "systems" are the only "official" club tools that any member has a "right" to, because they pay for it through their fees. The only person who constantly, repeatedly, pushes to have the Brewer List assume "official communication status" is Mike Cecchini.
And as long as the Brewer List is not funded by the ICOA and not "controlled" (whatever that may mean) by the Board of Directors, as a member of the Board of Directors, I see no need for me to sign up there.
I am a member in several other motorcycle clubs/associations and everywhere, as a member, I have to make an effort to obtain information relative to my membership through the channels the club offers.
If you want a different/additional communication channel , submit a formal request to the ICOA and the Board of Directors will vote on it, but stop slamming the Forum for being inadequate to YOUR personal needs. And while we're at it to request a list of e-mail addresses to be included as an information system, how about a list of telephone numbers and the ICOA can make a confernece call to all those who don't have a pc :roll:

Mike Cecchini
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Radford Virginia Rally - WT ??

Post by Mike Cecchini »

Point made Jeff..... so this discussion will move to "ICOA Forum & CBX List" Thread Post.

Thanks..... Mike

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

In re: ..." So when some of us (that have other things to do in life) ......try to find something it's really confusing and frustrating when it's not where it's suppose to be or not clearly headed."

'that have other things to do in life?'

If the forum rules allowed, I'd state exactly what I think of someone who is this insulting to people he knows as well as to people he has never even met, simply to try and get his agenda adopted. Wuz U brawt up bad or sumpthin? :roll: Shame on you :!: :thumbsdown:
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

Mike Cecchini
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Radford Virginia Rally - WT ?

Post by Mike Cecchini »

Please read the post above yours.

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

The post above mine,

"Point made Jeff..... so this discussion will move to "ICOA Forum & CBX List" Thread Post.

Thanks..... Mike"

And?

Mike Cecchini
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Mike Cecchini »

Terry » Sat May 01, 2010 9:18 pm

The post above mine,

"Point made Jeff..... so this discussion will move to "ICOA Forum & CBX List" Thread Post.

Thanks..... Mike"

And?

The topic has changed......so it is appropriate and necessary to move the discussion to "ICOA Forum vs CBX List". Go there.

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

..."The topic has changed......so it is appropriate and necessary to move the discussion to "ICOA Forum vs CBX List". Go there."

What's appropriate and necessary is that you man up and apologize to everyone you've insulted.

Return to “Rally & Ride Questions & Post Event Reports”