Prudhoe Bay in 2010 (mebbe)

Post all your rally questions here so the Rally Hosts and others can help you. RALLY WRITEUPS: Tell us all about how you liked/didn't like any rally. RIDES/TRIP REPORTS: This is the place and note you can list your ride/event on the ICOA Calendar (Click Calendar at the top of the Forums page)
cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Prudhoe Bay in 2010 (mebbe)

Post by cbxtacy »

I appreciate the offer, David. I was also going to drill new holes in my front fender to mount it higher incase the road turned into pablum. I wouldn't want the front locking up. Would the Alaska Highway Patrol give me grief if I had no headlight in July going between Fairbanks and Prudhoe?
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

solarmoose
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Prudhoe Bay in 2010 (mebbe)

Post by solarmoose »

cbxtacy wrote:I appreciate the offer, David. I was also going to drill new holes in my front fender to mount it higher incase the road turned into pablum. I wouldn't want the front locking up. Would the Alaska Highway Patrol give me grief if I had no headlight in July going between Fairbanks and Prudhoe?
Not likely. I don't believe the Troopers patrol the Dalton highway and it is unlikely they would stop you for that. However, more thought on the subject says that a headlight is a good idea to help you be seen in dusty conditions.

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

that's what I was thinking after I posted. I've heard when the road is thawed out it's either muddy or dusty. And when it's muddy there's a considerable amount of dust also. Sounds like fun.
YOU'RE THE ONE

solarmoose
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by solarmoose »

Are you familiar with ADV Rider? Its dedicated to long distance touring (like Horizons Unlimited.)
http://www.advrider.com/forums/
Then select Regional forums and select Alaska within that.

I mention this because the Alaska regional has local riders posting to it plus riders from elsewhere wanting to know about ride conditions/etc. Good source of info.
Prudhoe Bay is a popular ride and there are a lot of riders coming up every summer to do it. The BMW GS has been a major contributor to that though Wings, Ultras, KLRs and everything else make the journey too. Several shops have opened in Fairbanks and Anchorage just to address the summer riders needs for oil/tire change, gear drop-off and etc.
Another good source of info is the Milepost, worth the coin to get.
http://milepost.com/

Despite our short ride season Alaska is a rider friendly place and the riders here are serious riders (well except for polish-every-day crowd.)

I've ridden the ALCAN highway 6+ times and driven it in cages many more. Drove my pickup/trailer over it last summer. Guess I'll have to do the Dalton one of these days. BTW, the highways in Alaska have names and no-one here knows them by the highway number.
Let me know if and when you come through, I'm not home all the time...its the retired finally have time to ride/fish/boat/etc. thing.
David

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

I've read about Alaska on LDRider and Iron Butt (I'm a member) forums. My wife's a BMW owner and keeps me up to date on the Beemer adv rider stunts. She wants to know where all the motorcycle titles for the bikes that are in the garage incase I go. I think she's hoping a Polar Bear eats me.
YOU'RE THE ONE

solarmoose
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

animal viewing

Post by solarmoose »

Well there were the persons (on two separate occasions) who got too close to the polar bear in the Anchorage zoo and the bear took a bite outa them. There was a T-shirt featuring Binky the polar bear, the shoe and the words "Send more tourists - this one got away." So anyway, come on up!

Actually the chances of seeing a polar bear from the road system are nil. Black bear? yes along the ALCAN. Grizzly not likely. Buffalo, moose, caribou, mountain goat, sheep and fox are very likely. Wolves not likely but there was recent wolf/human contact that resulted in death of the person. I've been threatened by bears on two occasions. Wished I'd had a CBX underneath me then. But I think driving I5 is far more dangerous...

Return to “Rally & Ride Questions & Post Event Reports”