Spring Fling or Border-to-Border Insanity

Post all your rally questions here so the Rally Hosts and others can help you. RALLY WRITEUPS: Tell us all about how you liked/didn't like any rally. RIDES/TRIP REPORTS: This is the place and note you can list your ride/event on the ICOA Calendar (Click Calendar at the top of the Forums page)
cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Spring Fling or Border-to-Border Insanity

Post by cbxtacy »

I'm thinking about a rally next spring. Just before summer vacation (less traffic). If you go to www.irondutt.com you'll see that they have a whole bunch of interesting rides that qualify you for iron butt membership. They encourage long distance riding and safety. One of them is called Border-to-Border Insanity. It's considered "extreme" but there are a lot of "extreme" rides I consider "fun". And there are some beautiful roads in the San Diego area. This rally will be over three days.

On Friday the plan is to go for a nice ride in the country and non-California riders will get a primer on California riding. What's so different about California? You can split the lanes legally. Saturday morning early (2am?) we will leave Tijuana for Canada. Straight up Interstate 5. Late Saturday night we will get to Canada (the B C Province), get a room, collapse on the bed, and beat up anyone (Canadian CBX riders undoubtably) who tries to wake us up before check-out. They'll take us on a nice ride on Sunday and on Monday we can ride home.

Now one of the easiest iron butt rides is the Saddle-Sore 1000 (SS1000). That's 1000 miles in 24 hours. You might try that on your way to San Diego or back from Canada.

If you're seriously thinking about it, that's around 3000 miles in one week. I did a coast to coast and back last fall on my '82 and before I started, I put new tires, sprockets, and chain. They all now have 10,000 miles on them and I need a rear tire. I saved a lot of money on the tires because I put Kenda Challengers on them. I spent a lot of $$$ on the chain and sprockets, I used high end X-ring chain. I just now adjusted the chain for the first time at 10,000 miles. I would put new brushes in the alternater also.

You really don't have to ride a CBX because I know a lot of people like to preserve theirs and have other bikes to ride but I like to ride the c**p out of mine.

By Christmas I should have the particulars all ironed out. I'll also be looking for people on the Interstate 5 corridor who can lend a helping hand if someone has a problem. I'll also try to find someone who can drive behind us to pick up stragglers with serious problems.

Now on a ride like that, the protocal is to usually go at your own pace. If there's a break-down, might stop to make sure they're okay and then proceed. I like to cruise around 90mph+, I have a radar detector, and stock pipes so I can hear the detector. I drive up and down there a lot in a big truck and can help you plan your fuel stops according to how far you want to go between stops. I plan on stopping every 125 to 150 miles.

You can reach me at 910-263-3764 or cbxtacy@yahoo.com

Remember-Preserve your CBX so I can buy it from you when I wear mine out and then I can ride the c**p out of yours. :dance:
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

dan1995
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by dan1995 »

that would be a great ride....if only i knew someone who say drove a big truck that could maybe transport my bike and i to chula vista and back that could be doable mmmmmmmmmmmmmm maybe some one on the board could help :?: :?: :?: :D

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Dan,

It's you turn to supply the truck, I was thinking I might go along if you drive....:-)

Round-boy

PS. I picked up a silver '79 last weekend. It needs a little tlc but it only has 5200 miles. Now I can enjoy an almost new CBX.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

dan1995
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by dan1995 »

i was thinking more like george.... :D i know it's doable when we did the 50 cc we did the first 1000 miles in about 15 hours and that wasn't really pushing too hard we could have done better :D

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

and we did around 1400 miles the second day. TJ to Canada is around 1350 miles. Dan, if you fly out to San Diego, you could borrow my 2004 CBR1000RR for the ride. San Diego is a great place to go riding. I've been going to Deals Gap for almost 20 years and I'd rather ride in the hills east of San Diego. You don't have to ride to Canada to come down to San Diego and ride with us. If there's enough interest, I might get a GPS on my bike and set it up so you can track me on-line. The lady that married me and my wife might try it, she rides a Harley Low Rider and has already done a SS1000 on it.
YOU'RE THE ONE

real6
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by real6 »

I'm in Redding and can be of assistance if anyone needs anything. Also would not mind riding a short distance with you'all. Will be doing a SS1000 this weekend (Sunday) from Redding, Ca to Castaic, CA and return.

"The lady that married me and my wife" wow, do I want to ask for clarification?

dan1995
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by dan1995 »

george meant the lady that performed the cermoney :D :D ...i think :roll:

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Thanks for explaining that Dan, George lost me for a moment there ( again...... :lol: )

Chris
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Chris »

alimey4u2 wrote:Thanks for explaining that Dan, George lost me for a moment there ( again...... :lol: )

Me too :oops:

I thought they had some type of "modern" relationship going on. :shock:

kayeboo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by kayeboo »

He almost lost me too with that one! Thanks Dan!
The devil made me do it...

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

I even confused me.
YOU'RE THE ONE

dan1995
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by dan1995 »

glad i could clear things up :roll: :D

sixofsix
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by sixofsix »

hmmmm.....yuh planning on June? I could truck down to the San Diago area, offload CBX, ride back to B.C., ride back down, truck back. I've done a couple of 1000 mile days before. hmmmm...Just rattled off a 900 km day to Montana last Friday to Plumber Dave's Bible Camp gig... hmmm...

dan1995
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by dan1995 »

we don't have a date yet waiting on george to decide, keep checking here we would love to have you ride along :D

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

I believe May 18-20 is the weekend before Memorial Day. Now some out there believe since my 50cc (50 hours coast to coast) was so easy, this will be easy also. NOPE. We'll be doing the same mileage I did on my 50cc but on this ride we'll want to get through Northern California before dark. The last 80 miles in CA are on a winding road, and there are a lot of areas where it's not fenced. Big animals I don't want to meet (meat) on a dark road. We'll be riding at 4500 feet altitude also. Could be cold. real cold. Could snow. Oregon is another hazard. 65 mile per hour speed limit with state troopers mean as h**l. And the last hazard, Canadian CBXers that want to party to celebrate our arrival when we want to lay down and sleep. Anywhere. I can use some help on the northern end of the run. Does anyone live close to where I 5 hits Canada?
YOU'RE THE ONE

Return to “Rally & Ride Questions & Post Event Reports”