Spring Fling or Border-to-Border Insanity

Post all your rally questions here so the Rally Hosts and others can help you. RALLY WRITEUPS: Tell us all about how you liked/didn't like any rally. RIDES/TRIP REPORTS: This is the place and note you can list your ride/event on the ICOA Calendar (Click Calendar at the top of the Forums page)
cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

The Iron Butt Association considers a border to border an extreme ride. If you havn't done an Iron Butt ride, they won't acknowledge an extreme ride as a first ride. Check out their website if you want to be credited with a border to border. There's no reason why you can't do it if you've never done other iron butt type rides but you can't get the certificate for the ride. I'll have all the paperwork required for the ride before we go. I'll also have a map for the beginning and end with fuel stops listed all the way by exit number. I will try to list only 24 hour stops with receipts available at the pump. It can be fun BUT you have to really concentrate on riding at the beginning (early on) so when you get to the end you're within the alloted time. Now you can do the b2b and list it as a ss1000 for a first IBA ride or you can do a few extra miles (in 36 hours) and have done a bun burner 1500. I think. If everyone leaves together Saturday morning, we should all be there sometime Sunday (or late Sat night if you really haul a**). This way you can still do an iron butt ride even if you can't make the b2b in 24 hours.
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I really don't want to stereotype and generalise, but I am little wary of most Iron Butt guys. I have contact with a lot of them through my BMW affiliation. I always wonder: What's the point? Are they doing it, just to be able to brag about it? Put an Iron Butt association license plate frame on the bike to let everybody know: Hey, look at me! I am over 50 and I am a more serious rider than most 25 year olds!

It is one thing, going on a ride with a friend or two and go as far as you can to really breathe, eat and drink motorcycling. But just doing it to get that certificate that will make you a member of a preceived elite club? I am not sure. I know, I could do it. I rode 650 miles out to Vermont one Wednesday in 13 hours and 650 miles back to Ohio in 12 hours the following Sunday. Got off the bike and felt fine. No aches and pains on Monday. Good enough for me. Now, being able to hang with George for a 3,000 mile trip :shock: :shock: Totally different story :!:

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

Some want to do the ride, some want the certification to show they did it. I've done many rides over the years that would qualify for iron butt certification. I've done one I've turned in the certification. I want everyone interested in doing it to understand what is required for certification. It takes months to get your certification after turning in the paperwork because they check your paperwork to make sure you really did it.
YOU'RE THE ONE

dan1995
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by dan1995 »

i think the pin is really cool that's why i'm doing it :lol: oh and george check out the iron butt site and read my posts about insurance
Dan 1995

Triple x owner 79,81,82
Ironbutt member #24745
Coast to coast and border to border on a CBX
My goal was to ride farther and faster than my wife could bitch....
I needed a faster bike....
So I got a BUSA!!!!!

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

Did it. It is a cool pin. Reading the rules it looks like for a first ride you can do a border to borderand you have 36 hours to accomplish it. B2B Insanity gives you 24 hours to do it. If you're starting out, I don't think anyone will complain if you do a regular B2B and accomplish it in under 24 hours accidently. And if you discover that it's more difficult then you initially thought it would be to do in 24 hours, you still have 36 hours. They also have border to border to border. If I knock the first off in under 24 hours, I might give that a try.
YOU'RE THE ONE

dan1995
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by dan1995 »

well for the first ride by doing the b2b they also do a ss1000 (1000 miles in 24 hours) which is the entry level ride

so george border to border to border that's just insane :lol: :lol: hhhhuummmmm could not find that on the iron butt site ....is that pin just as cool :lol: :lol: :lol: i'm willing if you are
Dan 1995

Triple x owner 79,81,82
Ironbutt member #24745
So I got a BUSA!!!!!

Chris
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Chris »

dan1995 wrote:well for the first ride by doing the b2b they also do a ss1000 (1000 miles in 24 hours) which is the entry level ride

so george border to border to border that's just insane :lol: :lol: hhhhuummmmm could not find that on the iron butt site ....is that pin just as cool :lol: :lol: :lol: i'm willing if you are

I couldn't do the b2b2b in my car. :shock: :shock:

dan1995
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by dan1995 »

well maybe chris you could rent a plane ....we could use some air support .. :lol: :lol:
Dan 1995

Triple x owner 79,81,82
Ironbutt member #24745
So I got a BUSA!!!!!

Chris
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Chris »

dan1995 wrote:well maybe chris you could rent a plane ....we could use some air support .. :lol: :lol:

That would be the only way I could do it. :wink:

dan1995
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by dan1995 »

lets not tell george he will want to jump out of it :roll: :D
Dan 1995

Triple x owner 79,81,82
Ironbutt member #24745
So I got a BUSA!!!!!

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

Could I rappel out of it?
YOU'RE THE ONE

dan1995
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by dan1995 »

you could if chris would rent a helicopter :D
Dan 1995

Triple x owner 79,81,82
Ironbutt member #24745
So I got a BUSA!!!!!

Return to “Rally & Ride Questions & Post Event Reports”