Motorcycle cover - good idea or bad idea?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Motorcycle cover - good idea or bad idea?

Post by Syscrush »

We've had plenty of rain lately - this weekend I'm going out for a ride and will finally find out how well this cover has protected my bike from the elements (including a LOT of airborne dirt/dust).
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Well, my wife was unwell last weekend so the bike stayed parked under the cover for another week - my little experiment ran for 3 weeks covered up. I uncovered it yesterday and took it for a short maintenance ride, just to make sure it still starts, run some gas through it, spend some time at operating temp, and get the battery 100% charged - about 20-25 miles.

The cover works fine. There was no sign of moisture or condensation on the bike - it was clean and dry. There was a bit of lint or dust from the cover itself on the bike, but overall it looked pretty good - definitely better than if it had spent the last 3 weeks out in the elements.

I'm pretty pleased with the cover and I'm ordering another for my wife's Monster.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Glad to hear it is working out for you.
None of the brats in the neighbourhood have tagged it yet?
On second thought, the proper tag might be an extra layer of security. haha.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Incidentally, we've found a surveyor to get a good official survey of our place so we can get the ball rolling on adding a garage out back, but getting that approved and built won't be a quick process because we'll need some permissions to exceed the regulated coverage on our lot, and build a bit too close to a mature tree on city property, and saving up the scratch while my wife is on parental leave might not be doable.

I'll tell ya, I'd rather have a cool bike without a garage to store it in than have an empty garage!!! ;)
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

OK, for those who are interested, I've been using this cover for a bit over 3 months now, and I'd say that so far it's performing quite well. I like it enough that I ordered a second one to cover my wife's Monster 620.

It got a lot of dirt on it from a mix of construction dust/dirt, rain, and living under a tree, so I ran it through the laundry at home. It seems like it had no problems after going through the wash/dry cycle, but it's big enough that it's hard to get it thoroughly washed/dried in a home laundry setup. Out of concern for the technical fabrics, I washed it with the same gentle detergent that we use for baby clothes (no scents or fabric softener), and dried it on a low heat setting with no fabric softener.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Little mate
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Little mate »

Many years ago we had a attempted breakin at my house. We called it in and a nice officer arrived to take a report. When he arrived we were on the garage. His first words were nice cbx don't se many of these around. Then proceeded to take the report. Side door to garage had been tampered with and 2 weeks before my remote was stolen from my car. He told us they were not trying to get in to the house they were after something in the garage as he looked over his shoulder at my 79 cbx .so be ware .

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

I wouldn't even consider leaving my Z outside overnight particularly in the same location night after night. It would be only a matter of time before it's full time location is noticed and it becomes a target, it'll be stolen, stripped and sold off for parts.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

The intent of this post was to get/share info about covers. I ended up doing my own research, sharing what I found out, buying a cover, and sharing my experience using it.

Here's a new thread where people can cluck their tongues about parking a CBX on the street. Go nuts there, let's keep THIS discussion focused on covers that do (or don't) work for the CBX.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Syscrush wrote:The intent of this post was to get/share info about covers. I ended up doing my own research, sharing what I found out, buying a cover, and sharing my experience using it.

Here's a new thread where people can cluck their tongues about parking a CBX on the street. Go nuts there, let's keep THIS discussion focused on covers that do (or don't) work for the CBX.
when has a thread ever stayed on topic?

I have two covers one is an 30yr old OEM honda and the other a Princess Auto and I still only park in the garage. I'm amazed that people park their prized babies on the street or in the open anywhere. If you don't have a garage there's no other choice I guess.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

A quick update after continued use of the covers for both bikes:

They do keep the elements off the bike, but it's really important to keep them clean. We're at the bottom of a hill, and there's always someone uphill from us doing some kind of renos that result in some dirt on the street that washes down to our place. That dirt ends up on the bottom of the cover as mud when it rains, and then can deposit dust on the bike when it dries out and flaps around in the wind.

However, there's no sign of the covers themselves doing any damage to the bikes. I do recommend this brand of cover for outdoor motorcycle storage.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

it's great that it works for you I just don't know how you sleep at night having it out in the open like that :? you've got nerves of steel...

a local acquaintance kept his prized water buffalo stored outside then some neighborhood hooligans destroyed it :( he was devastated ...as would I be had that happened to my 79...

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

Have to agree with W. I think I would move house as a cbx parked in the street anywhere near one of our larger towns and it would be gone in a trice. Broken for spares most probably. Even with a cover and locks. Does it have an alarm?
A friend of mine who is a cop left his 82 special on his driveway locked overnight and as he was so tired from riding from Northern France left it there. Not there in the morning!

All the best. You are very brave.

cheers Mel #1876
Bikes since 1960,BMW R27,Calthorpe 350 twin port, 50cc Maserati,C110,S90,CB92,CB77 webco 350 racekit,C72,CB450,TS125,GT380,GT750x2,Harley 45,Ariel Sq4,Vincent Rapide,NorVin shadow,GPZ750turbo,GSXR1100H,FJ1100,RC30,Moto-Martin cbx x4,CBX specials x3,79cbx x 20 & GL1500

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

For Christ's sake, guys - please knock it off. I've asked for such comments to be left out of this thread, and even went and made another thread for that kind of discussion and linked it from here so you can have at it.

Start your own thread about where is a good or bad place to live and how important it is to have a garage.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Goss
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Goss »

Syscrush wrote: Also, I kept getting paranoid that someone may have stolen the bike when I was gone or asleep - I kept opening the cover to see if the bike was actually in there.
Bit harsh! Perhaps you are a victim of your own paranoia?
Onboard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqWSsdKtd64
Bike http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofjFhEd3

Chrisorg
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Chrisorg »

I'm often out of town at my friend's house. She doesn't have a garage or a place where I can park my iron horse. That's why I use the cover. Owners of different vehicles can use it. My friend, let's say, bought RV covers class c here. He generally says that this is such a protection. It is especially useful for motorists living on the city's outskirts or even out of town. It will be useful to protect your car with a tent. After all, such an area is characterized by a constant wind, which brings dust, sand, leaves of trees, and other debris. Small particles settle on the car, so it must be washed more often. The best solution is to cover the car with an awning. It also sometimes helps against carjackers and thieves.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”