What did you do to your bike today?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: What did you do to your bike today?

Post by Mouse »

Don't fret Wyly.
I missed an oppertunity on Wednesday last, to photograph 4 TVR's going by. I was too stunned at the sight to think clearly. Haven't seen a TVR in Canada since the 80's and then see 4 in a row? :shock:

(*Edit , WOW! just googled TVR Calgary and discovered there's half a dozen in the area, they must have been heading to Radium BC for the car/hot rod gathering.*)
Last edited by Mouse on Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Mouse wrote:Don't fret Wyly.
I missed an oppertunity on Wednesday last, to photograph 4 TVR's going by. I was too stunned at the sight to think clearly. Haven't seen a TVR in Canada since the 80's and then just see 4 in a row? :shock:
that must be what people think when we team up and three or four CBX's appear at the same time....

we're both victims of "old people's syndrome!" unlike millennials we forget we have cameras with us now 24/7
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

WATCH IT BUSTER! Who you calling old? :lol:

I did have to prove how old i was to a co-worker the other day. He thought I was 10/15 yr's younger. :D

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

What did I do to my bike today?

Opened the garage door. Looked at It. Shook my head. Went back inside to a warm fire and a good book.
Its 2 degrees and there's snow on the ground, Ya I know... mid September and we got snow this week... :roll:

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

wyly wrote: a D type Jaguar, have been selling for $3-$20 million!
That is, if it is an original "D". We had one for sale last year. Unfortunately, it was a replica, like almost all of them out there are. Very well done, though.
Looking at the street legal plate on this one, I assume it is a repop also.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

EMS wrote:
wyly wrote: a D type Jaguar, have been selling for $3-$20 million!
That is, if it is an original "D". We had one for sale last year. Unfortunately, it was a replica, like almost all of them out there are. Very well done, though.
Looking at the street legal plate on this one, I assume it is a repop also.
i wasn't aware of reproductions for the D, I've seen this one a few times, next time I'll find the owner and ask him...still it wouldn't surprise me if it was the real deal there are a number of wealthy car collectors/oil barons in the area...

this one was real with a rare option, E type v-12 with the optional removable hard top, I've never seen that option in person
it was immaculate and sounded "nearly" as good as my 6 into 6...nah! my six sounds way better! :D ...

and then there was this MG, a restored racer originally from Ireland with a Supercharger option
too immaculate according to the owner he losses points in shows because the paint is "too good" to be period correct...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

wyly wrote:i wasn't aware of reproductions for the D, I've seen this one a few times, next time I'll find the owner and ask him...still it wouldn't surprise me if it was the real deal there are a number of wealthy car collectors/oil barons in the area...

Before you talk to the owner and believe everything he tells you, arm yourself with some facts:
The Jaguar D-Type is a sports racing car produced by Jaguar Cars Ltd. between 1954 and 1957. Although it shares the basic straight-6 XK engine and many of its mechanical components with the C-Type, its aviation industry influenced structure was radically different. Innovative monocoque construction and an aeronautical approach to aerodynamic efficiency brought aviation technology to competition car design
Engine displacement began at 3.4 litres, was enlarged to 3.8 L in 1957, and reduced to 3.0 L in 1958 when Le Mans rules limited engines for sports racing cars to that maximum. Jaguar D-Types won the Le Mans 24-hour race in 1955, 1956 and 1957. After Jaguar temporarily retired from racing as a factory team, the company offered the remaining unfinished D-Types as XKSS versions whose extra road-going equipment made them eligible for production sports car races in America. In 1957 25 of these cars were in various stages of completion when a factory fire destroyed nine of them.
Total D-Type production is thought to have included 18 factory team cars, 53 customer cars, and 16 XKSS versions.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Some nice looking cars there Wyly, and here i thought all the oil money had left the province.

I carry a camera in a backpack on every ride and sometimes i am too lazy to go through the rigmorale of getting a photo.
Mostly i just forget that i have it with me.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Here are some pics of our copy:

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Thanks for the pictures guys, all amazing machines and workmanship!

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:Some nice looking cars there Wyly, and here i thought all the oil money had left the province.

I carry a camera in a backpack on every ride and sometimes i am too lazy to go through the rigmorale of getting a photo.
Mostly i just forget that i have it with me.
oil business cooled down but the money is still here...the number of rare vintage sports cars on view at our local Show and Shines are impressive...

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

EMS wrote:Here are some pics of our copy:

that's yours? very nice...
your explanation of the various D type versions would explain the wide range of auction prices I saw ($2-20 million), thanks that was good info.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

EMS wrote:Very nice. Especially a "Speedster". Have been dealing in vintage cars the last couple of years and prices for these are going in the stratosphere!
I didn't know that much about the car and had no idea of the value.
When i got home after the ride i did the usual Google search and came up with a $100,000- million range. Wow.
A couple other pics now that i have sort-of figured out the blurring feature.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:
EMS wrote:Very nice. Especially a "Speedster". Have been dealing in vintage cars the last couple of years and prices for these are going in the stratosphere!
I didn't know that much about the car and had no idea of the value.
When i got home after the ride i did the usual Google search and came up with a $100,000- million range. Wow.
A couple other pics now that i have sort-of figured out the blurring feature.
Im no vintage Porsche expert but that paint looks too good to be vintage...even today's new cars like BMW and Mercedes have surprisingly unimpressive paint, the quality paint I see are usually found on restorations...

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Oh, i have no doubt that it is a repaint, he did say it was not entirely original.
The exhaust tips and of all things a cassette deck were easily spotted by this untrained eye. haha.
I suspect the big value comes from the year and matching original engine and frame?

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”