What did you do to your bike today?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: What did you do to your bike today?

Post by Syscrush »

Very impressive. Good luck with everything that comes next.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Upper fairing permanently riveted together. Worked out some blemishes on the english wheel today, now I only need to bring to a mirror polish, attach new LED indicators and fully mount it to the fairing frame.
IMG_2511.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

AshishNJ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by AshishNJ »

Stunning !
1979 CBX (faster Red)
1981 CBX Streetfighter
2017 Aprilia Tuono.
Past rides : FZ1, BMWS100rr,S1000r,k1300S,YAMA RD350,Enfield 350

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

Wow! Just beautiful. I don't know what you are considering for turn signals but I installed these Moto gadget led turn signals on one of my bikes,
Amazingly bright and almost unnoticeable when installed.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/mot ... gJpIPD_BwE

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

hondaman160mph wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:04 am
Wow! Just beautiful. I don't know what you are considering for turn signals but I installed these Moto gadget led turn signals on one of my bikes,
Amazingly bright and almost unnoticeable when installed.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/mot ... gJpIPD_BwE
Thanks, I had know idea how it was going to turn out when I started or even if I could pull it off.

Blaze-M...That's exactly what I bought, they arrived last week I'll add two more for the rear later. I wasn't prepared for how small they were :shock: a considerable weight saving vs the oem indicators. Weight reduction was one of my objectives 35-40lbs so far, every oz reduced matters.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

I wasn't pleased with one of my earlier side panels and it had developed a stress fracture as well so I pounded out another yesterday. Only needs the quick release mounts and a polish now.

Next I'll either make a new tail cowl or chain guard.
IMG_2519.jpg
IMG_2524.jpg
IMG_2525.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dohc24
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by dohc24 »

LOVE the clip Faster!
Took my instrument cluster off today and pried the first black bezel off the speedo that was not working. What a hellish job taking those things off is. Actually broke a small screwdriver in the process...
:arrow:

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

It is a good idea to "clamp" the outside of the bezel with a suitable device. e.g. a large "hose clamp" to prevent distortion. I made myself a wood board once with a hole the diameter of the instrument and sat it inside when I pried the ring off.

Michael Vidovic
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Michael Vidovic »

impressive can do attitude. Have you thought of making the mirror shrouds in the same way?
...always walk out of the room smarter than you walked in...

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

To much spare time on my hands thanks to covid so my fairing project is nearly done, I spent 5 hours polishing today it'll be ready for a shakedown ride on the weekend. Another two maybe three winters and I'll be done. The GSX is a great ride, when I want to go out for a days ride it's always a difficult decision CBX or GSX :?
IMG_2770.jpg

AshishNJ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by AshishNJ »

Speechless :)
1979 CBX (faster Red)
1981 CBX Streetfighter
2017 Aprilia Tuono.
Past rides : FZ1, BMWS100rr,S1000r,k1300S,YAMA RD350,Enfield 350

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Fairing conversion complete. I'm 90% pleased with what I accomplished, hand shaping alloy is something I've never done before I had no idea what I was doing and no one to guide me. Could it be better, yes. Does it work yes. It's lighter than oem plastic, less buffeting around my head at speed, it doesn't shake rattle like the oem so it's quieter. Nothing fell off or came loose on the shake down ride. I expect I'll be more visible, so fewer excuse of "I didn't see you!"

I fabricated a matching tail cowl but I prefer my red fibreglass cowl it has a more balanced look. Spent a day painting what was visible of the frame in matching red, when it comes time for the overbore I'll do a proper frame repaint.
IMG_2836.jpg
Today I'm grinding off the 37 year old 630 oem chain and converting to a 530.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

That's a remarkable accomplishment, wyly.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Robert, when you stop for a coffee i bet your blue CBX gets a ton of attention.
Its going to happen again.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

The Blue machine still does get a lot of attention, I'd guess there are probably 30 more CBX in the city but very few are being ridden so it's still unique. There are far nicer examples than mine that never leave storage. Shiskowd is building a beauty that will far surpass mine, I'll need to ride to the southern reaches of the city and pay him a visit once covid recedes and I'm vaccinated.

The GSX allows me to do modifications I'd never do on the CBX, I figure at least two or three years more before I'm done. Surprisingly few people recognize the GSX as the grandfather of the GSXR's, and those that do are old geezers like me. I expect the shiny fairing will attract a few more curious visitors.

I'm aiming for a final dry weight of 450-460lbs and 150-160 hp. Not sure I can attain the dry weight but hp goal should be easily exceeded if I add NOS, 180hp is a definite possibility.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”