What did you do to your bike today?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: What did you do to your bike today?

Post by wyly »

I have these aluminum extenders to install on the carbs so that they'll reach the oem airbox. The supplier said I should use Loctite 620 but that's a permanent bond. Thinking ahead what if I want to sell on these carbs to someone who may want to install velocity stacks, I'd prefer a less permanent option. The supplier suggested a two component adhesive that would loosen with heat but he didn't suggest a product name.

Is anyone aware of another loctite product that will seal the extenders to the carbs, not shake loose from vibration and yet allow removal without a hacksaw?

CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

This isn't an answer, but keep in mind that it'll also have to be stable in the presence of gasoline.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Syscrush wrote:This isn't an answer, but keep in mind that it'll also have to be stable in the presence of gasoline.
yeah I've been checking the specs of various adhesives for that issue. My mechanic says he uses Loctite 620 on forks and it will release with a heat gun. I think 620 is extreme for the carbs, operating temps on the rear of the carb will come nowhere near 620's upper tolerance(230c), the supplier figures around 60c at most. I'm not enthused with the idea of heating the carbs to 230c + to remove the extenders.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

With no job to go to I finished my project for this winter, reduced weight by 35 lbs, forks rebuilt, fabricated a new tail cowl and back pad, new paint, polished tank, new Mikuni flatslide carbs, Hindle 4-2-1 headers, SS brake lines. A much faster, more torque, better handling GSX1150ef.

At least I'm done until next fall when tear it apart again and add some more power, porting and maybe a overbore, it's gonna be a brute :D

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

I put in a new battery last weekend and went for a nice ride with few friends on their ZRX’s. I didn’t have a whole lot of time to work on my bikes as I’m still working.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

Duffey Lake rd.
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Duffey Lake rd. »

Added Over Racing billet finned cam covers, motor mounts, and sliders.
from Webike Japan. June 21: added Tim's Alternator
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Duffey Lake rd. on Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Artie
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Artie »

7FD15323-8FAC-418A-8E33-D80BAB3B77D3.jpeg
Installed SiX Center clutch rubbers, made a big difference it did have some slack at hub and they were a hard as rocks,
Going to put a 100 ish miles in the AM

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

Put a recently powdercoated mini-luggage rack on it. After admiring it for a bit, I turned around and noticed I had acquired a new house pet that was a few feet from mine! Yikes!

Steve

82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Great camo on that old boy.

Like the rack, Steve.
Subtle, fits the lines of the bike. imho.
Where did you purchase it?

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

What Steve said, that is super tidy!
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

He is just a baby! Was still slimy from his winter nap, too.

I like the way the rack fits too. It was a late night (hic!) eBay session where I stumbled across it. There are no brand markings on it, and it definitely is NOT for heavy-weight items. A cooler bag for day drinks, or a light duffle is about the limit.

Steve
82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

Artie
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Artie »

There not too happy when you help them along
I dragged a big one 25lbs plus across a paved road by the tail and he hissed and squirmed the whole way
I was saving his life afterwards I couldn’t get the smell off my hand no matter how many times I washed them for it seemed a week

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

We were thick with those things where I lived in the town where SteveG and I both grew up. We had a great big swamp very nearby my house and one day the road was blocked and there was a police car stopped. The officer was out of the car and an enormous snapping turtle was in the middle of the (Farmingville, Steve) road, making ugly faces at him. The officer wisely went and fished a stout stick out of the nearby brush, waved it in the old boy's face and sure enough SNAP! He latched onto that thing HARD. And that is how he was dragged off of the road and to safety :-).
Nils Menten

Z Grand
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Z Grand »

Yeah - snapping turtles can move pretty quickly, too. Several years ago I came to a stop sign and saw a large snapper trying to cross the road -- his shell was at least 12 inches on the diagonal. I got out to try to help him across. My (ill conceived) plan was to approach him from the rear, pick him up by the shell, and carry him on across the road. As I bent over to do so, he spun around, hissed, and snapped at me faster than I could say "HOLY CRAP!!". I must've jumped, oh, three feet in the air. I looked back at my wife in the car, who was, of course, laughing hysterically. Needless to say, he had to find his own way across!

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Not exxagerating when I say the guy I saw dragged off the road was minimum 18-24 inches on the diagonal. A prehistoric beast.
Nils Menten

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”