What did you do to your bike today?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: What did you do to your bike today?

Post by Syscrush »

NWI_Ken wrote:Someday it will run as it should. Cant wait.
Hey, that's my motto! :laughing-rolling:

Welcome - can we see some pics of your bike?
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Welcome! I see you're in the opposite corner of the state from me. Good luck with tracking down the issues you mention. The hard starting suggests a carb rebuild is in your future.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Think you may have a burned valve. These things run pretty well on 5 cylinders. But you should really investigate further.

Dave

NWI_Ken
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by NWI_Ken »

Bike is a work in progress. Haven't tried posting any pictures. It has unpainted re-pop side covers and tail piece for now with a DG exhaust. At the moment, just taking my time to go through a bug at a time. Picked up a fresh set of plugs, ordered one boot and wire to start troubleshooting the lack of fire in #3. Clutch cover gasket will be here Thursday. Even playing it by ear to piecing it back together for the short term. I have an old Ultra on the lift that needs the return spring replaced and my house needs some outside attention. Currently, most will not agree with me, but I still have my favorite bike ever to ride, 2011 Triumph Speedmaster. Its setup for solo now with a "mudflap" for a rear fender. I need to work out something with the tach too on the CBX. It truly won't be fun until I know how fast its turning. Hey Dave, Hi neighbor!

Crazy Canuck
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Crazy Canuck »

Over the last couple of weeks I disassembled, sand blasted, primed, and today sprayed three coats of catalyzed paint on the front and rear master cylinders, and all three brake calipers. They turned out fantastic with no runs or drips, and look like new. I have all new kits to rebuild them so that will be my next project.
Forrest Miller :thumupp:

Honda CBX 1000- "A cosmic haymaker of a motorcycle" -Mr. Tadashi Kume

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Not much to do on the '79 other then routine maintenance :think: but the GS1150ef was on the table was taunting me, sooo...I converted it to a solo ride like the mid 80's Suzuki slabies. I removed the pillion seat and molded a fiberglass tail cowl and painted it, then I made a back pad. I've removed the 30lb oem 4-2 headers and replaced them with 10lb stainless steel 4-2-1 Hindles. Still to come Mikuni RS36 carbs with push pull throttle. Lighter, more hp and torque, looking forward to riding season!

CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Cool! That looks almost like a CB1100R cowl and pad. You could go into business making reproductions!

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

It does look nice. More pics please.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Rick Pope wrote:It does look nice. More pics please.
I wanna see that stainless Hindle too, please. Their systems for vintage bikes always look great.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Syscrush wrote:
I wanna see that stainless Hindle too, please. Their systems for vintage bikes always look great.
The Hindles fit under the belly pan but I needed to remove the center stand. A tiny hp gain but a considerable weight saving. The benefits of the Hindles should be more evident with new carbs. Still weighing the wisdom of buying the carbs($925) but the Hindles become a waste of money if I don't :think:

With the new Hindles should I still have a belly pan that hides them? Do I need a full fairing at all? I could switch to a 1/4 fairing and 8" light that I have on the shelf...I could also put them on the CBX :think: so many decisions
Last edited by wyly on Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

sure, how about the build process.

Went to my favourite parts supplier and they were dismantling 1150e for ebay, they had a pillion seat that was torn so I took that home because I don't like destroying perfectly good parts, the perfect oem seat is in a bin.
I wrapped with cling wrap and packing tape.
Then I added the height I required for the back pad with plant foam I found at Micheal's and sanded it until I found a shape that I was okay with.
more cling wrap, packing tape, foil heat tape and duct tape which I waxed so the fiberglass would release.
cowl with three layers of fiberglass
sanded back and identifying low spots
last bit of spot filler before priming/paint
5 + primer coats, another 5+ coats of base coat, 3 clear coat, will add another 5 clear coats when everything is done still haven't decided best method to attach it all) and then wet sand.
I made the pad from the salvaged seat's foam and there was enough good material to make another cover.

I did this mostly out of boredom. Also this particular model doesn't have a great resale so if was going to have project to modify this was the one(and it's still very fast :D , soon to be faster). And since I'll never see a return on my investment I plan to give it to my son-in-law, with the pillion seat gone he can't take my daughter for a ride.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Nice. Looks factory.
Rick Pope

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

wyly wrote:I plan to give it to my son-in-law, with the pillion seat gone he can't take my daughter for a ride.
I wanna send my father in law to you for lessons on how to treat a son in law! :lol:

Beautiful work, thanks for sharing!
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Took apart my back pad today I wasn't happy with how it fit together, some modifications and it'll be much better.

Also a late xmas present arrived today in the mail, new carbs :D didn't install them I just went over the instruction booklet becoming familiar with how they operate and generally fondling them ...lot's of fondling :lol: I didn't realize that I can now remove the oem choke and control cable. The throat opening vs the oems is impressive, it'll breathe better and no doubt use a lot more fuel.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Very nice, Robert.
Who cares about mileage. Those big throats will get you to the gas station that much quicker.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”