What did you do to your bike today?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Mello
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: What did you do to your bike today?

Post by Mello »

Ouch Wyly. I feel your pain - dropped a valve on my '82 a while back. Head, piston, rod, sleeve, valves and few other bits and bobs later she was ok.
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." - Enzo Ferrari

Mello
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Mello »

I rode up to meet my car mates for the annual train race.

Here's a great pic of my '79 :P
Lucy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Nice! and the X looks good in the background!
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

Is that a Merlin engine? Looks very like it. I have a buddy who takes one around the uk on a trailer and lets it rattle the windows for miles around!!
Bikes since 1960,BMW R27,Calthorpe 350 twin port, 50cc Maserati,C110,S90,CB92,CB77 webco 350 racekit,C72,CB450,TS125,GT380,GT750x2,Harley 45,Ariel Sq4,Vincent Rapide,NorVin shadow,GPZ750turbo,GSXR1100H,FJ1100,RC30,Moto-Martin cbx x4,CBX specials x3,79cbx x 20 & GL1500

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

had my two sad days of grieving and ordered the most difficult to find part a "single" overbore piston to start the rebuild process, thanks to Phil and Dave who've offered to help with parts I may need them yet..

new parts for the GS( stator and R/R) will be here early next week to get me back in the saddle but in the meantime the HELLA dual horns I was intending to put on the CBX I'm now installing on the GS...I did a quick hook up to test them :o :shock: they're wake up the dead loud and annoying :lol: they'll have no problem getting the attention of oblivious texters in their SUVs :D
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Mello
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Mello »

cbxmel wrote:Is that a Merlin engine? Looks very like it. I have a buddy who takes one around the uk on a trailer and lets it rattle the windows for miles around!!
Quite an interesting story to the engine. The intention was to obtain a Merlin but the search for one in useable condition turned up this 1943 Liberty unit. It is similar to the Meteor tank engine (Merlin derivative) - Also a V12 of around 27litres. The chassis is a from 1933 Rolls Royce - I wont say which as this seems to annoy the RR faithful :laughing-rollingyellow: that and the noise :D

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Mello, getting to see and hear that project in person would be wonderful.

There are several clips on Youtube about "Lucy".

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

finally figured out how to wire dual horn Hella Sharptones with relay today....seriously loud and annoying, I love them :lol: 8) 7280
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Sorry to hear it, wyly. I have had good experience with a Canadian vendor of used CBX parts named James something. If you want to avoid cross-border shipping, you may want to hit him up. Let me know if you want his contact info.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

There's a Canadian guy called James Elliot who used to be a source of chrome plating and I think spares. Met him at ICOA rally at Deals Gap many years ago. Owns a very low vin number 79 number 37 I think. Lived near Komoka. ELLIOTT@SKYNET.CA

cheers Mel #1876 :flags-wavegreatbritain:
Bikes since 1960,BMW R27,Calthorpe 350 twin port, 50cc Maserati,C110,S90,CB92,CB77 webco 350 racekit,C72,CB450,TS125,GT380,GT750x2,Harley 45,Ariel Sq4,Vincent Rapide,NorVin shadow,GPZ750turbo,GSXR1100H,FJ1100,RC30,Moto-Martin cbx x4,CBX specials x3,79cbx x 20 & GL1500

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Haven't heard from James in a long while. Assume he's still alive and well?

Dave

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

Wyly. Seems I've missed reading about the trials you've been having. :o :no
Let me know if you need a temp six fix and I'll haul my X in for you to ride.
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Mouse wrote:Wyly. Seems I've missed reading about the trials you've been having. :o :no
Let me know if you need a temp six fix and I'll haul my X in for you to ride.
thanks mouse that's a generous offer :-) but way too much to ask of you, Fred offered me his Water Buffalo too...the first of my GS parts arrived yesterday and the remainder will be here tuesday/wednesday and I'll be on the road again...

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Syscrush wrote:Sorry to hear it, wyly. I have had good experience with a Canadian vendor of used CBX parts named James something. If you want to avoid cross-border shipping, you may want to hit him up. Let me know if you want his contact info.
absolutely! the more contacts I have the easier the rebuild will be...the most difficult part is one of more common ones the head, shipping cost is a killer, I'll do my best to source that locally first...

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

many thanks for all the offers of support it's really appreciated :D

I'll start a new thread in the Projects, I know how everyone including me loves a new project :-) ...in this case "me" not so much :(

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”