What did you do to your bike today?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: What did you do to your bike today?

Post by Syscrush »

Is this our first glimpse of that project bike? Did you pick it up like that, or do the VFR swingarm swap yourself?
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by desertrefugee »

Steve, are you doing that in your living room??? :o

You cannot be a married man (and I envy you!) Neat way to spend a Canadian winter!
'86 VMax, ‘83 ZN1300-6, ‘78 GL1000, '75 750K

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Phil, i acquired that CBX about 8? years ago from a guy in Toronto. It had been sitting for years.
Priorities, my lack of mechanical skills and lack of funds have delayed me finishing it.
It is a VFR front and rear end and extensive frame mods.
The work was done by Leitner and Bush, the famous superbike shop from years ago.

Living room indeed.
The bikes came in the house the same day the ex-wife left the house. haha.
Besides, no heat in the garage.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

desertrefugee wrote:Steve, are you doing that in your living room??? :o

You cannot be a married man (and I envy you!) Neat way to spend a Canadian winter!
that was my first thought the first time steve posted a picture of his living room...the best I've accomplished is carb cleaning in the dining room :lol:

I have a local "married" cbx buddy who had a bike displayed in his living room window...but his wife has a collection of vintage of about 10 rides as well :shock: so there wasn't any resistance
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

I'd have mine in the living room, (for the winter) as well, but wrestling 600+ pounds of bike up some stairs is not my idea of fun :lol:
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I do prefer storage away from the house, with some room to hang out and tell lies to friends...

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

What a great looking set-up, Mike.
I am assuming the Japanese bikes have their own stable?

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Mike, it's long been a personal goal of mine to roll up to your place on my 'X with some Burning River Ales. That photo serves as extra incentive. :)

As for what I did to my bike today... I took my wife's Monster out for probably the last little ride of the year - a commute to and from work. It was about -5C for the ride in, and to be honest, it was a bit hard on me and on the bike - it ran on one cylinder almost the whole way, with the second coming to life only intermittently. Hopefully it'll clear its throat on the warmer ride home today. If not, I'll limp it home and then into storage and put some fresh plugs in it when spring comes.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Phil:

Today would have been a good day! 7 of us convened after breakfast to smell some fumes...

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

I look forward to the day I can be in one of those photos. :D
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

cbxtreeme
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by cbxtreeme »

Dusted off the cobwebs..... :(
Still waiting on my head to come back from Xtreeme Performance.
The stainless valves I bought from TimsCBX were the wrong length when Xtreeme looked at them.
I emailed REV yesterday to see when they were going to get the correct size valves to Xtreeme.

Still thinking about some CR or FCR carbs.....just to torture myself more.
___________MY TWO STROKE ADDICTION_____________

RGV VJ21 L___________________RZ 350_____________
RGV VJ22 FL__________ GT 750 long term cafe project___
RGV VJ22 N ________________RS 250 Cup Bike_________
RGV VJ23 T__________And one for the water...SX-R 800_
____________________RZV500R______________________

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Mike - give me the low-down on the /2s. Do you have one of each there?

Dave

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

took some time off from my seat conversion but I got back to it today,

this came off a 79 that also had an old WindJammer as well, not for me I want something sleeker that suits a Honda CBX Supersport not a Lazyboy recliner...others maybe okay with that laid back style but it's just not for me

my first thought was to toss the old foam but I thought I'd try slice off the offending bits and see what there would be left to work with

filled in the pillion dip in the rear then the pilot's, slight rise behind the back gives a little back support that I never had before...pillion position isn't very comfortable but I rarely have a passenger so it doesn't matter it's good enough for a short ride, if I need to do a longer ride I can put the old seat back on in 10 minutes.

one more layer of 1/2'" foam to smooth out the surgery and extra foam and it should be ready for recovering...
I initially intended to take it to a professional for the finished covering but my daughter has a sewing machine so I'll borrow her machine and some basic sewing lessons ... I'll practice on a simple fabric coverings first to see if I can produce an acceptable quality before I attempt to use leather or vinyl...if not I can still take it to a pro...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Looks like a nice shape. Note that sewing vinyl or leather generally requires special tools - needles and machines - it's great if you wanna learn to sew, but you probably need help from a pro to make a cover for this seat.

BTW - I also dig that fancy no-sided swingarm! :lol:
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Syscrush wrote:Looks like a nice shape. Note that sewing vinyl or leather generally requires special tools - needles and machines - it's great if you wanna learn to sew, but you probably need help from a pro to make a cover for this seat.

BTW - I also dig that fancy no-sided swingarm! :lol:
my daughter advised I'd need a stronger needle and that I'd need to turn the machine by hand when I got to the tough parts...sewing wasn't high on my skills to acquire but I like learning new things, my paint turned out well...I'll give it a try and if I fail I have the name of a quality upholstery guy... being on forced medical retirement with much reduced income requires I do as much as I can on my own in order to spend the available cash on things I can't build myself, like Ohlins shocks...

no-sided swing a great concept but it has one or two drawbacks :doh: so I put on a '82 GS1100 arm instead...I still need to do some minor surgery on the fender to adjust for the longer arm length, cut off the brake line guides and try fit chain guard of some sort...and then there's my new chain that's now too short :shock: :lol:

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”