What did you do to your bike today?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: What did you do to your bike today?

Post by Syscrush »

Holy smokes, wyly. You've apparently lucked into my dream rear wheel. :o
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Syscrush wrote:Holy smokes, wyly. You've apparently lucked into my dream rear wheel. :o
if only I had known that sooner...I've seen a couple since I started my search, but only rear wheels and I wanted a pair, I found the front seems harder to find...are you looking for gold or silver? ...I'll keep an eye open for a 3x18 and let you know when I find it...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

If you get a line on a gold 18x3 I wanna know about it, thanks!
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Syscrush wrote:If you get a line on a gold 18x3 I wanna know about it, thanks!
that’s what it was ....it was listed but the add expired and no one bought it, I’ll see if I can find the seller.
Last edited by wyly on Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Last edited by EMS on Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

that's even a better price than the one I located(if it hasn't been sold)...I think the euro equipment is less expensive there because of better supply, although I did see another 3x18 boomer listed for $300+ :roll:

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

quite a range of prices...I'm good with the 100 pounds I paid for the pair, 20 lower than what the seller was asking for...

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The more expensive ones are new. They may have scratches from storage however.
The RC15 rear wheel is a very common part there. I bought several of these in the past
Few people buy them, because the matching front from the same bike is a 16" and nobody wants that. Consequently, demand for gold boomerangs is not really there.
CB1100F had a f18/r17 combo, CB1100R had a f18/r18 and the CX500 Turbo was a shaft drive rear. Those were the only bikes with gold boomerangs. The VF1000F had a black boomerang.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

the seller I dealt with was unsure whether the ones he sold were off of a CB900FC or CB900FD. So
I looked up the specs for the CB900FC and wheels were listed as silver comstars... the specs for the CB900FD wheels are listed as gold

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

EMS wrote:The more expensive ones are new. They may have scratches from storage however.
The RC15 rear wheel is a very common part there. I bought several of these in the past
Few people buy them, because the matching front from the same bike is a 16" and nobody wants that. Consequently, demand for gold boomerangs is not really there.
CB1100F had a f18/r17 combo, CB1100R had a f18/r18 and the CX500 Turbo was a shaft drive rear. Those were the only bikes with gold boomerangs. The VF1000F had a black boomerang.
Are the cush drives for the 17" and 18" rears interchangeable?
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

wyly wrote:the seller I dealt with was unsure whether the ones he sold were off of a CB900FC or CB900FD. So
I looked up the specs for the CB900FC and wheels were listed as silver comstars... the specs for the CB900FD wheels are listed as gold
Only gold wheels on the 900f were very early 5-spoke Comstars (like CBX). They were the same wheels as on the CB1100Rb (1st generation)
And the rear wheel was not a 3.00. The rear tire was a 120 or 130/80 (4.00x18) which Honda did not mount on a 3.00. That's why I asked if you were sure and from what bike it was.

http://www.hondaboldor.nl/cb900f/

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

I think you also said at some point there were no other 19" front wheels so I couldn't get one for my cbx but your link from a Netherlands website lists a 19" front on the 900FC, and a picture of silver boomers so ...

:think: I'm no expert but with all the contradictions I suspect there are more options available then it would readily appear, I've seen the specs on other sites for a 3" rear and other spec sheets for the same model that that do not...and then there was the web site that said the gold boomer was available on the FD but not on the FC(silver), are they mistaken? I've seen the photos too but there's no way to verify the model or originality of the set up...and I have my seller who claims the wheels I purchased came off a CB900 either FC or FD he wasn't sure which model but the rims are clearly stamped 2.50x18 and 3x18 so what are to we make of that? are the wheels a stock item, a factory/dealer option or a later owner conversion?

there were at least 8 versions of the CB900 and how many unlisted options? and how many countries may have specified a different spec just for their market? ...what do other regions of the world have? Japan, Australia? ...you have a 3.5", I've never seen a listing for that anywhere but yet you have one so they do exist :?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

My comment regarding no 19" front wheel referred to the gold boomerang. And there isn't any.
I have not seen a 3.00x18 on a Bol d'Or and I hope you are getting the right wheel and not a shaft drive version. You may want to pose that question to an expert in the DOHC-F bikes. The only 900f wheels I have seen (and I am sure I have not seen all of them) were 2.15x18 front and 2.75x18 rear. You are right, there were many different varieties for different countries, but everything is pretty documented.

The 3.5x18 wheel is listed in the Honda parts catalog for the 1982/83 CB1100R as an option. 8)

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

EMS wrote:My comment regarding no 19" front wheel referred to the gold boomerang. And there isn't any.
I have not seen a 3.00x18 on a Bol d'Or and I hope you are getting the right wheel and not a shaft drive version. You may want to pose that question to an expert in the DOHC-F bikes. The only 900f wheels I have seen (and I am sure I have not seen all of them) were 2.15x18 front and 2.75x18 rear. You are right, there were many different varieties for different countries, but everything is pretty documented.

The 3.5x18 wheel is listed in the Honda parts catalog for the 1982/83 CB1100R as an option. 8)
ahh 19" "gold " boomerang, if I'd known there was a 19" silver I would've kept looking for that..just as well the 18" front gives me more tire options.

I haven't found a 2.50 front on anything, the 3.0 is scarce, both maybe an optional like your 3.5 ...or exclusive to one country.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

So, here is the "solution" to the "mystery"

According to my buddy at Honda of Germany, for the last run of the CB900F Bol d'Or, the SC09 (which would have been the 83 FD) Honda 'spiffed" the model up for the European market.
It received the 39mm fork (37mm before) and a box profile swingarm (like the CB1100F) and silver boomerangs that had indeed a 3.00x18 rear.
At one point, gold boomerangs had been announced but remained unique to the CB1100R and CB1100F.
Come thinking about it, I believe Jan Ringnalda used to own a CB1100RC with silver boomies that he sold at one time. This bike popped up a while ago for sale from a collector/dealer in Vernon, CT (Kaplan Cycle)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37tQVewlLSw

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”