What did you do to your bike today?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: What did you do to your bike today?

Post by EMS »

6Pipes wrote:Yesterday I bolted a set of Sankei reproduction exhaust that I purchased on Ebay on to my 79 CBX. I am really impressed with the fit and finish. They look like stock and seem to be just a bit heavier than the stock pipes and they fit perfectly! I kept waiting for the hidden defect or installation problem but it never happened. Couldn't be happier with them!
:thumupp: Good to hear! One could argue about the Sankeis being "reproduction". After all, they were the manufacturer of the original pipes. If there is anyone who could make the pipes as close to the original as possible, it would be them.
Maybe they still had some of the original patterns. :think:

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Michael Vidovic wrote:Hi all
Spent the previous arvo searching for a gremlin that prevented the X from starting. Went through the usual checks-battery, earth, cables, switches etc. No joy. Problem was similar to one I had with my 86FXR which was solved by a new battery. I was preparing to buy a new battery for the X when my nephew rocked up and did a couple of things with the electrics which I call black magic. He deduced the starter magnetic switch was a bit suss. I had considered that but didn't pursue it the way he did. We pulled it apart and Lo and behold the contacts were gummed up. Cleaned them up, fired up like a beaut. All cool, learned something and saved $200 odd dollars on a battery. Pays to do basics and not panic-another valuable lesson in life.
It's the little victories that keep you going.

8) Don't they say "The devil is in the details" or something like that../// :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

The 'on-the-road' fix for that is a pliers handle or screwdriver blade between the solenoid terminals. Always worked for the old flatheads, etc. Works for the X.

Keep the shiny bits up!
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

Yesterday I looked at it and made a plan of all things I need to do over the next 5 months of winter ^.^

Hondell750
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Hondell750 »

Painted it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

Replaced the speedo cable and put it up for the winter. Washed it, changed oil/filter, rode it a good 25 miles to heat it up and dry it out, topped off tank with ethanol free gas (and added Stabil fuel stabilizer), drained carbs, removed battery, and said good night.

It is going to be a long 5 months.

Steve
82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

SteveG wrote:Replaced the speedo cable and put it up for the winter. Washed it, changed oil/filter, rode it a good 25 miles to heat it up and dry it out, topped off tank with ethanol free gas (and added Stabil fuel stabilizer), drained carbs, removed battery, and said good night.

It is going to be a long 5 months.

Steve
I have something for you to consider given my own recent issues with sagged out spring behind the alternator that was a contributor to frying the alternator clutch plates and given the bike will not be used for those debillitating five long, cold months.

I suggest backing out the 3x long bolts out of the alternator as far as possible, thereby completely easing compression pressure on the spring and allowing it to spend all Winter in the 'relaxed' position instead of fully compressed for no good reason. A good spring measures around 29-20 mm in length.

Better yet, remove the alternator completely, after all, it's only a 15 min job to re-sinstall when riding weather returns. I would also coat the alternator clutch plates in your favourite lubricant and store away. Also, before coming out of hibernation, would be the ideal time to replace the alternator brushes too, regardless of whether they need it or not and also check both bearings, cheap and easy to replace. I will be checking my alternator every 5,000 kms from now on until I spring for the Kawa' conversion. Regular checking and servicing may just save major alternator woes later on and avoid being stranded out in the sticks.

Michael Vidovic
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Michael Vidovic »

Hondell750 wrote:Painted it
Looks good
...always walk out of the room smarter than you walked in...

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Tony: I'll finish my thought about your (or any) collapsed alternator spring. Being compressed in place does not collapse the spring - excessive heat does and that's what yours has undergone either since the last rebuild, or before you had it, and you just didn't realize it. My original '79 alternator spring has been in place for 45,000 miles and thirty-five years and still measures 30mm. You can back off the bolts if you like, but I'm saying it has absolutely no benefit on spring life.

Dave

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

Filled the tank with non ethanol gas, added Stabil 360. Changed the oil and filter, Royal Purple 10w-40.
Drained the carbs.
Installed Super Bright led tail light bulbs, 550 lumens each, 30mA current draw
part# 1157-xHP28-T https://www.superbrightleds.com/search/ ... 57/page/2/
Put it in my basement for the winter. Spring in Minnesota is 6 months away , sigh.....

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

daves79x wrote:Tony: I'll finish my thought about your (or any) collapsed alternator spring. Being compressed in place does not collapse the spring - excessive heat does and that's what yours has undergone either since the last rebuild, or before you had it, and you just didn't realize it. My original '79 alternator spring has been in place for 45,000 miles and thirty-five years and still measures 30mm. You can back off the bolts if you like, but I'm saying it has absolutely no benefit on spring life.

Dave
Thanks Dave, I fully understand now re the excessive heat making the spring lose its ability to retain the correct tension. Thinking (way) back to when I saved this bike from a certain death in the early 90's, the original plates in the bike were fried, so as you say, the spring was probably toast anyways without me realising it. So it was really only a matter of when, not if, the clutch was going to fail again, which it now has.
I'll now cheerfully dismount from, and fold up, my soap box and wait patiently for the shipment from Louis to arrive. Thankyou for your patience and will update once I get "de spitzen sparken" flowin' happily again back into de battery.
Cheers..Tony

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

Repaired dent on the Russ Collins Header that is going to Ceramic Coat , Filled the single pipe with partial water ...Put in freezer for 8 hrs and amazing ! pushed it right out ..filed and sanded outstanding results..away they go !

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Hondell750 wrote:Painted it
Sure looks like a Ducati tail.
Please post some details and pics of your build.

Hondell750

Post by Hondell750 »

Yea, Ducati 916 Tail-VFR 750 front end & wheel- Suzuki swingarm-VFR rear wheel- Fireblade instruments -etc.- etc. I'll post the build in the appropriate area. I didn't tear up an easily restorable bike by the way.

Sharpie66
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Sharpie66 »

SteveG wrote:...........It is going to be a long 5 months.

Steve
It sure is Steve! Having lived in Carthage for 2 years, I know first hand that you are definitely in the freezer section of New York State.

Patrick
Don't take life too seriously, you will never get out of it alive.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”