Non-CBX post---Uh-oh!!!'72 H1 Kaw dyno pulls-8/8/03

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

Non-CBX post---Uh-oh!!!'72 H1 Kaw dyno pulls-8/8/03

Post by sr71cbx »

----OK,just did some dyno work this evening over @ Spec II on my friend's H1,torched off right around 60 HP 1st pull @ 10,500 RPM and misfiring.2nd pull w/fresh B9HS NGK plugs netted around 62 HP,mains at 105's.3rd pull w/B8HS plugs netted 64 HP @ same RPM and same mains.Dropped mains to 102.5 and B9HS plugs,jumped to 67.2 HP @ almost 11,000 RPM.102.5 mains and B8HS plugs netted the best pull at 68.4 HP @ 10,800 RPM!!This is rear wheel horsepower........crank ponies estimated at 80 HP.Test done with VP C-12 race gas...metal mites not an issue.Not bad for starters!This bike is also very rideable and docile until 6 grand,then hang onto your ass and climb on the gas tank,'cause you're going for a RIDE! :twisted:

This H1 runs a set of ported barrels w/transfer work & reaiming and recut squish bands in the heads and .008 in the hole w/Wiseco pistons and Spec II custom-made tucked pipes,fed w/30mm carbs from an H2.This bike gets with the program bigtime!Stock CDI handles ignition chores and the bike looks otherwise stock except for bitchen pipes and individual K&N's.Clutch duties are handled with a Barnett unit with extra plates and actuated by a ball bearing late-model clutch pusher,and the stock H1 trans is shimmed and shifted with H2 hard-chromed shift forks.Suspension duties are taken care of with Boge/Mulholland shocks out back and fresh seals with stout fork springs and air fork caps to top it all off.Tire issues are not one with Dunlop GT501's front & rear to put the power down and hold the line on a winding road,with help from bronze swingarm bushings and tapered-roller steering head bearings,with stock steering damper to eliminate any heebie-jeebies on top. :shock:

--This cherry orange '72 H1D,5 years in the making,is a sleeper and a 1/2!Look out,Hogs! It's wicked........!! 8) ---Wish it were mine,glad to help my buddy out and get this project rolling!! :)

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

The motorcycle world as I knew it changed when.....

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

hi mark/all

1. in the mid 70s (i think) when a friend of mine were in boston and took a test ride on the ...then new...suzuki 250 two stroke. i think it was called the samuri i knew after this ride all i have ever known about motorcycles and motorcycling had just changed forever. i was riding a bsa 650 at the time and this bike was superior in most respects but the acceleration was shocking .....literally almost threw me off the bike.

2. i was so impressed with the suz sometime later...dont know...it might have been years......i went down to see kevin cameron who worked at boston cycles at the time and in his spare time hand building the 500cc kawa triple road racers and ask him what it would cost to put together a 750cc kawa triple that would handle, stop and had a bit more power (never enough power right).

i hated the two stroke haze upon startup and kevin showed me the klotz street synthetic oil which would cure it. the deal was set.....$1500 or so for the full race suspension setup, new shocks, frame gussetting and i think putting alloys on with an extra brake rotor on the front. specific details are to me now

3. something happened ...maybe he didnt have time to do it ....or maybe the new ducati desmo twins caught my eye...or maybe i had a lead on a g50 matchless....who knows now but i wish it had bought it .....or on second though if it had i wouldnt be here today........because the 750 kawa triple was almost too fast ....is that possible

so there you go...........woulda, shoulda, coulda, mighta once again

thanks for your post

mike

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”