Total Number of CBXes Made

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Amgcbx
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Re: Total Number of CBXes Made

Post by Amgcbx »

Heels gents.... Michael from bklyn,NY
Recently re- registered here too. Original owner of a 79/80 combo bike. Bought the 1980 new that year and ended up with a 79 parts bike. The 80 worked motor ended up in the 79 frame.... it’s a story!
Just wanted to check in and say hello....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Amgcbx

Post by Amgcbx »

And the motor # .....bike is apart, sat for 25 years and will be back one day soon!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Amgcbx

Post by Amgcbx »

A work in progress..... and well deserved, this bike in its day in Brooklyn and surrounding boroughs was tough to beat!!!!
After a 25 plus year unplanned sleep. Brake calipers and masters were wiped out, and my tank is a mess but it is worth the work and time to me , lots of great street racing memories, I’m getting old! Ha ha 58 yrs young , just bought a Yamaha MT09!!!

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Cool, Michael! Welcome! For your info 1979CBX serial ..09562 resides in Alabama, last thing I knew.

Amgcbx

Post by Amgcbx »

Thanks for that bit of info on my 79 frame and motor... Does anyone have any experience with a Cal Fab swing arm.(leaning on my bike in the photo). If I remember correctly,after numerous chain adjustments, I was having chain and roller issues,I was debating trying it again.....looks trick and definitley kept the rear end planted...The 1100F swing arm was my fix 35 yrs ago.!!!!

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

That is an ATK swingarm.
It should have a sort of honeycomb pattern on the underside. The rollers were an issue and made a racket.
You can remove the roller and use the swingarm . Might have to rig up a slider/protectant.

Amgcbx

Post by Amgcbx »

Thanks for the quick response Steve, Yes it does have that honey comb bracing pattern underside. I could use it without the rollers . Also debating welding lower shock tabs/ mounts to a Honda Blackbird swing arm to keep the twin shocks.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The Blackbird swingarm will present you with two more issues: 1 - the swingarm axle diameter is larger than the 14mm that is in your bike currently. 2- the width of the swingarm between the frame is wider than what will fit in your bike.
Some machining required for both.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

As a side note: If you wish to increase the swingarm pivot holes in the frame to accept a later model swingarm, Don't just drill it out. It will not be round, nor will it be true to the other side. Use a reamer. I know, most of us don't have a set of those, but if you want it right.......

I believe Jim Zemanek has put a CBR-XX swingarm on a CBX. I'll see him Saturday and ask.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Amgcbx

Post by Amgcbx »

Thanks for the input gents, not to keen on altering the frame even though it is far from original.quick measurement told me the blackbird swing arm was wider which is no problem, the axle diameter is another story. As it sits now ,1100F front end and swing arm, may leave well enough alone , will have a tough time just waking her up!!
( some old club memorabilia laying around my tool box, Clint Hooper is a name that stands out in my mind.....)

oldbikerdude
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by oldbikerdude »

I just purchased a low km 82. The last digits of the VIN are 2364. From previous threads that I went through, I take it the bike was built in Oct of 1981, one of the last 500+ bikes built. Did see a post for the latest 82 VIN exactly 500 higher than mine at 2864, but not sure how high they actually go before actual end of production. Don't have an engine number yet, or the data plate, but once I get the bike, I will post. Love this info.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Yes, your 82 was built in October of 81. Numbers went into the 2800s through January of 1982. Highest number I heard of is 2914 but I cannot verify that it is real. Some people are not truthful about the VIN numbers. Would like to hear more details. Engine serial, odometer, any changes/options?

oldbikerdude
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by oldbikerdude »

Currently, the odometer reads at 35,472 kms. The seller bought it 26 years ago with 29,332 kms. Pulled this info from the bill of sale. He put on a whopping 236 kms per year. The bike is being shipped to Ontario where I live from Alberta, and will receive the bike by 2nd week of July. Once I receive, I will update with more information.
You mention options, I did not realize that there were options to be had? Such as?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Factory Hondaline accessories were: three fairing gauges to pick from, clock, altimeter and ambient air temperature, all red-faced. Turn signal relocation kit. Relocates turn signals in rear to the fender if bags are removed. A green, CBX logo dust cover for the bike. Color-matched helmets in all sizes. I think that's it.

Dave

shiskowd
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by shiskowd »

EMS, below are the details on the two non-running '79X bikes I have. Do you have any insight as to the build date and where they were first sold?

A Bike Details
Frame Number: CB1-2013609 (no frame tag, no numbers stamped on the frame, previous vehicle registration in hand)
Engine Number: CB1E-2013750

B Bike Details
Frame Number CB1-2018985
Engine Number CB1E-2019185

2022 KTM 890R, 1982 Pro-Link, 1979 CBX 'Z, 1975 Moto Guzzi 850T
Long Sleeping '79 CBX Restoration > viewtopic.php?f=102&t=11699

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”