Poor mistreated CBX…

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Poor mistreated CBX…

Post by hondaman160mph »

This is a good example of why the ICOA is such a valuable
resource. Many people don't have the experience or expertise
to know what to look for when buying a used CBX.
Good job Nils.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

RIP 19. Someone deserved hoosegow time for that kind of abuse. Let's hope your new home includes a miracle worker.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Gee Nils, I'm sure glad I've never made any critical comments on BAT (or anywhere else)!!!! Seriously, that bike IS a turd, and that's being charitable. The one thing I didn't see mentioned was that it is wearing '79 forks as well. It is a poorly-done hodge-podge with a half-decent paint job to catch your eye and distract from all the rest. Probably worth what was paid, but not to me. Someone is going to get a few surprises, I'm sure.

Dave

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Ya, Dave, I saw the 79 caps, but don’t know the other telltales. Was the entire assembly 79?

The “community” there apparently enjoys seeing the auctions result in high prices for sellers more than anything else, and I suppose I spoiled their fun.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

We could have some fun kicking the tires at Mecum some year if you could make it!

Dave

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Haha - you guys are on another level. I look at that and think: "SHINY!". The only thing that caught my eye was the seat and tank not fitting together correctly.

It's great seeing those of you who really know your stuff go to work like this.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Dynamohum
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Dynamohum »

Was it anyone’s business if they weren't interested in buying it?

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Dynamohum wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:42 pm
Was it anyone’s business if they weren't interested in buying it?
Not sure who you might be referring to. I definitely WAS interested in buying it, which led to me really looking closely. There’s a “community” of characters there that toss garbage bids on auctions and never buy anything, and I think they are just entertained by high prices, as I am sometimes. So I spoiled their fun I suppose. But as above, if these guys that professed to know and love the CBX thought it was such a great bike then why didn’t they bid it higher and flip it, if it was so valuable?
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

The low serial number is what brought a lot of attention to the auction, the rest sorted itself out thanks to Nils, Dave and a few other honest BaT members who had some pertinent questions, questions that someone owning a CBX for ten years should have known the answers to.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

We ask questions and point out issues we see as IF we were bidders, things any buyer should want to know. And I will guarantee you, there were far more issues with that bike than the cosmetic stuff Nils and others pointed out. I have straightened out more 'mint' restorations than you can imagine, at significant additional cost to the new owners. The CBX community as a whole usually does not want to see someone's first experience with a CBX be a turd like that one. But if you want to look at it as none of our business, we might as well throw 40 years of experience out the door.

Dave

mrcbx
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by mrcbx »

I was in agreement with Dynamohum .... I have had several bikes in auction and been frustrated by non bidders/buyers pick the bike apart because it had a wrong bolt. Never claimed it was 100% perfect. BUT... after reading Nils and Daves post I have to agree with comments that help the buyer make an informend decision. Who says an old dog can't learn new tricks...
79 CGR CBX, 01 CBR1100xx, 84 VF1000F Interceptor, 82 CB1100R, 82 GS1000SZ Katana, 83 Kawasaki KZ1000R ELR, 82 Kawasaki GPZ1100B2, 83 Suzuki GS1000s Wes Cooley, 86 Yamaha FZ750, 86 Honda VFR750F, 95 Honda CBR900RR Urban Tiger...

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”