Any Clue On How To Install Raask Rearsets?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
CrispyTurtle
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Any Clue On How To Install Raask Rearsets?

Post by CrispyTurtle »

I got a 1980 CBX recently, and I've been dragging peg a little too easily.

I went ahead and found a pair of Raasks for the cheap, looks great! all the parts are there.

Went to start on the shifter side, and I realized something. It looks like the bolt to the swing arm holds on the plate that attaches all of the foot pegs and tidbits. The same for the brakes too.

Am I correct here? Just making sure. Anything else I should know about before performing what I would thought be a easy peasy modification?

CrispyTurtle

Re: Any Clue On How To Install Raask Rearsets?

Post by CrispyTurtle »

Just who were just curious what I am talking about, big bolt above the peg.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Yep, that is the swingarm pivot bolt and it has to come out. The bottom engine mount also as I see yours is a Marysville '80 with the bolt-and-nut instead of the earlier bolt and two nuts. They can be tough if they've been in place for a while, especially the engine mount one. What exactly are you dragging? If you are running stock tire sizes and stock exhaust, you'll never touch anything but the footpeg feeler nuts.

Dave

CrispyTurtle

Post by CrispyTurtle »

Haha! I'm not dragging peg at all! I'm dragging my side stand on the left side! The foot rest for it that is. I'm taking it off since that's the case and I just use center stand anyhow.

Maybe I'll hold off on the rear sets for a moment till I figure out more of riding this thing really.

I have a 120 rear since I couldn't get a 130 that I liked. But yeah I'll just skip the rearsets for now. It's one thing to remove a swing arm. Engine mount bolts? That kind of worries me because I could have trouble lining the bolt back up if I take it out. Thanks for all the help.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Even dragging the side stand is surprising to me.
Very aggressive riding and/or suspension needs firming up?

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

I would not be put off Crispy as the mod is quite straight forward. The engine will not drop just because you remove the swingarm bolt. Whenever I remove that bolt I have a piece of copper rod that I use to tap it thru' with my rubber mallet. It has a bend on one end so I can't inadvertently knock it all the way through and it is soft enuf' not to damage the thread on the bolt. It holds everything in line including the spacer and chain follower that can be fiddly to reinsert if they fall out.

I have attached a pic of my right hand side Raasq rear set to give you an idea of how far back they place your feet. They are not too radical by modern standards and will push your weight a bit further forward. That will improve handling too. Another good mod is to find an early SL Honda gearchange at a wreckers and reverse it doing away with the overly fancy, vague feeling CBX gear lever linkage that can make selecting neutral harder than it needs to be with a hot motor.

The sidestand is handy on a roadbike not only for everyday utility but also if you have to pull the cam covers off and drain the oil from around the cams. There are a few service procedures like this where retaining the sidestand is useful. Also handy for setting sag.

I presume your 1980 bike is a prolink so you could try upping the suspension air pressures to improve ground clearance or fitting a modern rear shock. If you do that you can easily lift the bike overall by over an inch to improve ground clearance. You can drop the front forks substantially and play around with dogbones to get the perfect 12-13 degree swing arm angle for better drive and also speed up the steering which is a bit lazy with the stock 28 degree rake. These are all relatively minor things that can greatly improve the handling and operation of a CBX.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Here is an old pic of the installed LH Raask rear set that should be similar to yours. I ran this set up for a few years before further improving it. As I mentioned above the linkage can be a bit fiddly and vague feeling. Unless you get the angles exactly correct the gear lever can foul the linkage rod. Much easier to ditch the lot and replace the linkage with an old school simple lever, just reversed on the spline. Put it in a vice and bend it to wherever suits your foot. It may not look as fancy but it will work better.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Hmm. pic did not load. hopefully this will work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

If you are dragging the sidestand foot catch, the sidestand is bent. Straighten the stand and re-curve the foot catch so it contours with the pipe and you'll never come close to touching it. Simple fix.

Dave

CrispyTurtle

Post by CrispyTurtle »

daves79x wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:17 am
If you are dragging the side stand foot catch, the side stand is bent. Straighten the stand and re-curve the foot catch so it contours with the pipe and you'll never come close to touching it. Simple fix.

Dave
I dare not say its bent because its a very clean bike. I do ride extremely aggressive, as by this picture. vvvvvv Thats me :scared-eek:

I do push it to its limits. If it kills me or not, its just too damn fun. But regardless, i will be taking the side stand off until i need it for servicing. I can get it on center stand no problem on flat ground so im not worried about issues pulling it up. I can always reattach the side stand with a single bolt.

As for the replacing with the raask rearsets, I need it because I ride like a complete idiot and I want the bike to do the same. Of course within reason. Im not swapping the front forks, swingarms, or the brakes, or anything of the sort. Just have line upgrades and good pads. Besides, the fun is if you live and tell the tale.

That copper rod and mallet trick is a great idea! thanks for whomever suggested that. I will try replacement with this in mind. Thank you for the pictures! They are 10x more helpful than you might think ;) Any more tips are apreciated!

Some more of me riding. Literally the funnest bike i've ever ridden. I've ridden new stuff and this thing just wants to kill you. Such a blast.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

There are plenty of simple tips to make a CBX go well Crispy. You can find most of them on my blog, CBX Racing here:-

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10003

My racer is basically a refined '82 Prolink with pretty basic tuning and it is competitive with the 200hp replicas at the International Island Classic. In the right hands it can lap Phillip Island in similar times to a modern superbike and yes, its a real hoot to ride. Most people are amazed that a 38 year old air cooled production bike that looks a bit like a block of apartments can go as well as it does. Plus it doesn't need re-building between every race like most of them do.

There are a handful of CBX's racing in historic events around the world and we are fairly supportive of each other so many of my tips have been handed on over the years from other CBX racers and tuners like Roly Skate but ICOA has also been a very solid supportive organisation as well. Every time I grumble about giving the racing away (I'm 68) members give me another reason to soldier on.

These extraordinary bikes inspire loyalty across a very wide demographic.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I've straightened the side stand on nearly CBX I've worked on. Most are bent, but the wire foot catch is apparently the problem for you. Again, it will never touch if the curve of the wire loop is anywhere near right. Plus, it should be retracting even further than stock since you have no pipe on the left side to catch it. The left footpeg feeler will touch way before the stand, and by the looks of the feeler in your first pic, it's never touched down.

There are more than a few of us who have been dragging the pegs on these for 40 years.

Dave

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Here is a pic of a 'clean' bike with sidestand.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

S'truth Dave how long have we been trying to shake off the 'street racer' bad boy bikey rap? You don't need to admit it mate, even if it's true.

I say unto theee, ' Stop practising to go slow on the street, join a club, get a competition license, have more fun for longer and don't get killed scraping on the public roads...' is something like my sermon to the wannabe boy racers out there.

No that I necessarily do what I say all the time because like old CBX side stands I'm a bit bent too.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

What a bunch of Hooligans! :lol:

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”