Dyna S

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
CBXTRA6
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Dyna S

Post by CBXTRA6 »

I know this has been debated many times, but ...
I've had one installed on my custom CBX for almost 20 years of trouble free service, but I started having problems 3 years ago when one of the pick up went bad and fried one coil.
So I bought another new set and was back on the road. Recently, I started to loose ignition on a couple cylinders. Upon examination, I have no sparks on cyl. 2 + 5. So, either the coil or the Dyna S pick up, right? I put a brand new Dyna coil in, still no sparks. Which means this is my third Dyna S going bad.
I'm bummed out, anyone had similar experience?
Looks like I'll go and check the Sachse set soon...
JP

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Dyna S

Post by NobleHops »

I’d be testing the wiring before I started shotgunning more parts onto the bike. What’s the condition of the pickup wire, coil power feed, and the spark plug leads themselves? Have you tested them?
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

CBXTRA6
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBXTRA6 »

Yes Nils, all wiring checked OK, coils power fed from the battery with a relay, spark plug wires and connections fine. Bike was running very well before.
JP

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I had #2/5 pickup go bad on a Dyna a few years ago. Maddening because it was intermittent.

Dave

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

I replaced the Dyna S with stock Honda coils and an Ignitech digital ignition on my racer.

The Dyna coils consume a fair bit of power to make a longer duration spark. I understand that it was originally designed for Harleys.

I run total loss so power consumption is an issue for me but for owners with the stock crab claw generator where slippage can lead to a flat battery and other issues, power consumption is a relevant consideration. The higher voltages involved also mean a shorter life.

The Ignitech is relatively cheap and allows easy real time drag and drop tuning on any laptop. Timing can be adjusted anywhere in the range as can duration and dwell. It is not perfect because I have fried one by not properly securing the rotor after removing the mechanical advance/retard which the new system makes redundant. Plus the Czech manufacturer is not that easy to communicate with but for the price it is a mod worth considering an an alternative to the rather dated Dyna.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Thanks for the feedback, Warwick. That's 'good 'stuff'!
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

CBXTRA6
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBXTRA6 »

Thanks all for sharing. I'll take a look also at the Ignitech . I still have "somewhere" the previous Dyna S which went bad, probably easier and cheaper to replace the bad pick up by one of the surviving 2, but ready for an upgrade to newer tech.
JP

AshishNJ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by AshishNJ »

If it matters, I am using stock coils and Sachse ignition
1979 CBX (faster Red)
1981 CBX Streetfighter
2017 Aprilia Tuono.
Past rides : FZ1, BMWS100rr,S1000r,k1300S,YAMA RD350,Enfield 350

CBXTRA6
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBXTRA6 »

Hi Ashish, of course it matters, to me especially now, I was waiting for you to finish your custom X and ride it for a while to get a full report on what the SACHSE is worth, I'm planning on getting one next year when in Europe (if at all possible...) because I have to bring back also a stock advancer in order to get the shaft (most of my CBX parts are now over there)
I'm surprised that you kept the stock coils in view of all the extensive work done on your bike, why not Accel or Dyna coils ?
The stock ones are very old now and many develop visible cracks and have lesser output.
JP

AshishNJ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by AshishNJ »

JP
Though most of work is done, the smaller work takes the longest . Hopefully I will have it running on the road in a couple of months. Coils look to be good and are running well but that does not mean I won’t be looking to change them. For now , it was just to divert funds to other parts of bike and eventually change coils . No visible signs of any cracks and sparks are solid. Motor starts and idles at as low rpm it can with no miss . Frame is out for some minor welding work (I don’t have a welding setup) , once it is back , I will build seat pan, get seat made and assemble everything back
1979 CBX (faster Red)
1981 CBX Streetfighter
2017 Aprilia Tuono.

CBXTRA6
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBXTRA6 »

can't wait to see your bike finished !
JP

AshishNJ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by AshishNJ »

I went ahead and ordered the dyna coils . Frame and wheels are off to powder coat.
Do these coils sit in same position as originals , any orientation?
1979 CBX (faster Red)
1981 CBX Streetfighter
2017 Aprilia Tuono.

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jt »

AshishNJ wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:16 am
I went ahead and ordered the dyna coils . Frame and wheels are off to powder coat.
Do these coils sit in same position as originals , any orientation?
Not sure if this is correct but worked for me. Think your wiring lead is what determines position.
Don't think connectors come with the Dyna's . I have these if you need them, let me know and I'm send them to you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JT In Texas

The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever
have to deal with, watches you from
the mirror every mornin'.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

I would be careful about running the Dyna coils with a digital ignition. The Dynas put out much higher voltage and the dwell will be changed over stock 2.4 amp coils as well.

Dyna said they were potentially compatible but that word potentially implies extra care and I found that there was some residual feedback that damaged my Ignitech digital ignition. It may be that better or more specific diodes are necessary to prevent this problem and others with superior technical knowledge may have an answer.

The connectors on the Dyna leads and the leads themselves will also need re-configuring. The mounting is identical to stock altho' if you are improving the lay out I would move them away from over the top of the engine where they get quite hot and interfere with access to the spark plugs.

AshishNJ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by AshishNJ »

JT - thank you for pictures and the offer . Since I am on a full custom path, I bought a whole bunch of electrical wiring and connectors. Once I start with install, I will know and may take up on the offer.
As to compatibility, I checked with sachse and they said it is compatible. I found out a few other folks using these coils with Sachse. Hopefully I will be ok as well.
1979 CBX (faster Red)
1981 CBX Streetfighter
2017 Aprilia Tuono.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”