And Then There Were Two...

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Wheels24
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

And Then There Were Two...

Post by Wheels24 »

Stumbled upon Okinawa Joe's Vintage Motorcycle Sales in Harrisonburg, VA while searching for an '81 CBX. Turns out they (meaning John, the owner and ICOA member) had just finished refurbishing one which used to belong to another local ICOA member. Needless to say, I jumped on it and now have the '81 keeping my '80 company in the garage. I think I heard them arguing out there last night...something about "fairings are for wimps" and "red is for firetrucks"... Naturally, I love 'em both. John took me for a great test ride in the Harrisonburg area...beautiful part of the country. He has an '81 of his own which, as it turns out, was likely manufactured on the same day as mine since the serial numbers are only a few numbers off. Stop by if you're in the area...he'll talk CBXs with you all day and likely go for a ride!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gary

1980 CBX

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: And Then There Were Two...

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Congrats on the new bike. They both look great.
Such a unique situation these days. A shop that works on vintage bikes and an owner that rides one.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I assume you are talking about John G? He is a long-time CBX owner and enthusiast and he's on here too, I think. Congrats on finding great examples of these bikes and enjoy them both!

Dave

portalespeanut
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by portalespeanut »

Both beautiful bikes...well done! :clap: I noticed the windscreen on Your new '81 does not have the lip on the top that causes turbulence. I've wondered if it might be better...a clean slipstream vs. buffeting at the helmet. How do You like it?
You begin cutting your wisdom teeth the first time you bite off more than you can chew...

Wheels24
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Wheels24 »

daves79x wrote:I assume you are talking about John G? He is a long-time CBX owner and enthusiast and he's on here too, I think. Congrats on finding great examples of these bikes and enjoy them both!

Dave
Yep...John G. Great guy and did a great job refurbishing the bike. I'm getting out on both as often as I can as it gets a little warmer here. They're both great in their own ways.
Last edited by Wheels24 on Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

1980 CBX

Wheels24
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Wheels24 »

portalespeanut wrote:Both beautiful bikes...well done! :clap: I noticed the windscreen on Your new '81 does not have the lip on the top that causes turbulence. I've wondered if it might be better...a clean slipstream vs. buffeting at the helmet. How do You like it?
Thanks! Looked a long time for an '80 and an '81 as close to stock as I could find and in decent condition. It hurt my head a little when I first saw it missing the lip, but after riding it, I love it without the lip. The purists may balk, but it gives me much cleaner air around my helmet, and a much more enjoyable ride overall. To each his own, but I've always preferred that any windscreen on any bike just keep the air off my chest, not try to shield my head. It works great for me at about 6'2" with the Corbin seat which sits a little lower than the stocker. Not sure how it would work for others of different heights with different seats. It's a mod' that John did during the refurb' process. He has the same mod' on his personal '81.
Gary

1980 CBX

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Gustafson makes/made a replacement shield without a lip that bolts right on. I liked the best of any of the several screens I had on my various Pro-Links.

Dave

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Clearview did as well, but they had so little call for them, the threw out the molds a few years ago. Susan and I were at Clearview in Sept. to see about having a screen made for her Spyder.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”