1981 CBX mirror problem

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
dvfr750f
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

1981 CBX mirror problem

Post by dvfr750f »

Hi all, I have a problem with my left side mirror. The bottom of the mounting peg has a washer??? that has fallen off. The mirror needs to be repaired or replaced, any suggestions?
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 1981 CBX mirror problem

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Is that the stock mirror?
Schematic of the area.
https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon ... bf/fairing

Site members Tevan or Louis will probably have you need if it needs replacing.

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

That's what happened to me on my prolink.
That washer in the picture is like a locking ring. You'll have to take mirror mount off the bike (the other piece that's on the fairing still).
You then put spring on the mirror peg, mirror through the mount and press locking washer on the peg. You'll need to find suitable sized socket that will fit over the washer and put the whole thing in the vice if you have otherwise, big pair of pliers and extra pair of hands would do.
It's fiddly and it took me a while but i doable, it took me several tries.
One thing, you'll have to press washer on just enough not to fall off but not too much where it would make your mirror very stiff. It's hard to loosen it once on.
If you can't, you should be able to pick one up on ebay or from one of members from here

Sasha
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:Is that the stock mirror?
Schematic of the area.
https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon ... bf/fairing

Site members Tevan or Louis will probably have you need if it needs replacing.
Schematic doesn't show these parts, they are what holds mirror onto its' mount under that boot

Sasha
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

Ringnalda
ICOA Staff
ICOA Staff

Post by Ringnalda »

If you are going to do this, I may recommend a fairly small room with a white tiled floor, and a sturdy bench preferably with a vice. If you try this in a packed basement, I can almost guarantee you will launch the washer effectively into outer space, never to be found again... Ask me how I know. This mirror is not easy to hold, and there is no flat surface the position it on as you attempt to push the washer in place.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

We've repaired a couple of these as Sasha describes, wasn't too bad. A couple of other tips:

That locking washer got slightly hogged out and more dish-shaped in use before it went SPROING, and so before you reassemble, put it in the vice solo and crush it a teeny bit flatter before you reassemble. I mean A TEENY BIT. That will help tighten up the fit on the shaft

There is a groove in the shaft where the washer wants to seat, and it's hard to know when you've pressed it far enough together that it's securely in there. Measure it on the bench with the sticky-outy part of your vernier caliper before you reassemble so you can be confident you got it far enough as you go. This will make sense when you do it.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The lock washer you show in the picture is not the stock one. Someone has been in there before. I don't know if the stock one is still available, but it would be what you really need there. Lacking that, I think carefully drilling the end of the shaft and installing a cotter pin or hitch pin clip might hold that washer on. I just got done fixing two of them, so it's still fresh in my mind.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I had that issue on one of my Prolink mirrors before. I tried to find the lock washer but as far as I recall, it was not available separately. I tried to use a hardware store lock-washer/pushnut but it did not work well. Ended up buying a complete mirror. They are not that rare and not that expensive. Standard Hondaline item.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

I'm certain that Louis can always help at usedccbxparts.com
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

NobleHops wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 11:16 am
We've repaired a couple of these as Sasha describes, wasn't too bad. A couple of other tips:

That locking washer got slightly hogged out and more dish-shaped in use before it went SPROING, and so before you reassemble, put it in the vice solo and crush it a teeny bit flatter before you reassemble. I mean A TEENY BIT. That will help tighten up the fit on the shaft

There is a groove in the shaft where the washer wants to seat, and it's hard to know when you've pressed it far enough together that it's securely in there. Measure it on the bench with the sticky-outy part of your vernier caliper before you reassemble so you can be confident you got it far enough as you go. This will make sense when you do it.
I've completely forgotten about that. I did have to flatten it as well.
I did give up on trying to fix it and did order replacement from Ebay. In the mean time i got stubborn and got it fixed by the time replacement mirror arrived
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Always like happy endings! :-)
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

sixofsix
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by sixofsix »

Had same problem on my 1981 CBX except the washer was missing from a previous lookie-loo. Dont have to remove mirror mount off fairing. Pull back rubber to expose 10mm nut and remove that and take the mirror off and the round part. Where washer goes, drill and tap the hole in the stud to accept a M6 x 1.0mm thread. Reassemble the round piece onto mirror mount with the spring. Add 2 SS washers of sufficient ID to allow clearance to compress spring and thread in a M6 capscrew into threaded hole you just made and voila...she's fixed. Oh yeah, reapply grease at the dedent location. Reattach mirror and the best part, wiggling the rubber boot over mirror and metal mount. Best thing for you to do is to lose the washer as previous folks mention and then you will scratch your head, think about buying a mirror which is weeks away, ditch that thought and come up with an alternate...a capscrew and washers to compress the spring.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Slick! Photos?
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

dcarver
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by dcarver »

Wanted to update this old thread for historical knowledge. Unfortunately, my Drupal site doesn't play nice with cut and paste. The next best thing is provide a link should anyone need/want to see, with words and pics, how to perform the 'cap screw' mod.

This link is to the final 'fix'. You can navigate to see the entire process start to finish.

https://candybuttorg.ipage.com/cba/comm ... mment-1002

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Great! Thanks, Carver
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”