Clutch Time

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Clutch Time

Post by desertrefugee »

It has become apparent that I am in need of a clutch refresh. I don't see a lot of clutch chatter (no pun intended) on the board, so I'm posing this quick question:

Where are folks getting their friction plates? I see that Tim's has a complete set for $130'ish. But, I cannot help noticing that David Silver sells the A plates for $9 bucks a piece. That's a better price, but he does NOT seem to have the B plate. Does anyone know where the B plate can be found separately?

Thanks!
'86 VMax, ‘83 ZN1300-6, ‘78 GL1000, '75 750K

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Clutch Time

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

With your many years of riding and wrenching i trust your diagnosis of a clutch refurb.
Curious as to the symptoms. Grabby? Slipping?
Have you contacted the usual vendors about a Prolink upgrade?

desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by desertrefugee »

It's a slipper. I knew the plates were worn when I did the Six Center rubber modification, but being the cheapskate that I am I put them back in anyway. I thought they had more life left in them. Now a mere 600 miles later, I need to pull them again.

I do not have budget or inclination to upgrade the basket. Just need that B plate...

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

Dynamohum
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Dynamohum »

I’ve had great success with Barnett steels and either EBC or OEM fiber plates which seemed to work the same.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I've used TIMs fiber plate kit with good success. Also get 3 HD springs to use with 3 originals. Gives a better bite without heavy pull.

Dave

desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by desertrefugee »

Sorry to have started another thread on this clutch job. Forgot about this one. I did just as Dave suggested with a Tims kit and springs. But...here's the rest of the story.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11313

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”