Well the time has arrived!

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Want2ride
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Well the time has arrived!

Post by Want2ride »

After only 4 ½ years I have the CBX I wanted. The bike came to me looking fairly good but running badly in 2014. A couple of days ago I had my first ride that didn’t require some compromise with the bike or repair when I got home (knocking on wood as this is written). The carbs and engine are now rebuilt, the suspension parts replaced or repaired, frame painted, one wheel replaced and both wheels have new bearings and tire, and on and on it goes. You get idea that no stone has been left unturned (or at least considered). More work is ahead with a new fork tube to fix a continued leak, a new and better rear wheel I just bought off C-List and other misc parts to add to continue to make the bike better. But it runs like a Honda should. I know I could not have gotten to this point without the forum and the individuals and great suppliers on the forum.

I’d like to thank a few of them
Dave McMunn for advice on the motor and carb rebuilds and more advice on parts location and selection. I very fortunately met Dave at the Las Vegas Auction just after buying my CBX.
Mike Nixon for his technical writings especially his carb and valve information. Never met him but owe him
Bill, at Tim’s CBX, for parts such as chain, sprockets, cables, and advice. Met him at Barber Motor Sports last year and wish I lived closer to Atlanta to pick his brain more.
David Silvers for many hard to find parts such as OEM bolts, cables
Nils Menten and Restocycle for shocks and a foot peg cover group buy. He also freely shared his information and advice along the way. If ever in Tucson, look him up.
Ian Foster for his book, hat and banner (for moral building purposes). Nice stuff!!!
Louis Mintrone for some really hard to find parts such as carb springs and other unobtanium. And also distributing Ian’s book and other swag.
Randakk’s for their excellent carb kits and obscure parts (carb tees, etc.) and ignition parts
Bert at Six Center again for hard find parts such as the turn signal bodies and cam chain tensioners
Terry S gave me help when I was stuck for cam chain tensioners
Phil (FalldownPhil) for even more hard find electrical parts such both hand controls and wiring

Locally my good friends furthered the cause:
Brian Bach helped with lock picking, and general advice, expertise and tools
Dave Zuber gave the project: time, tools and a ton of budget savings in showing me how repair and refurbish the head (24 new valves went in, ouch!)

I’m sure I have left some out but you get the idea. It takes a large village keep one of these bike alive without breaking your budget or your marriage. My wife drove the bike last week (she has ’16 Triumph Bonneville and Ducati Diavel so knows what she likes) and after all the spending even she said it’s a great bike. Thanks everyone for the help!

Here's some pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Well the time has arrived!

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

I love to read stories like this.
Glad you finally got it sorted out. They really are great bikes to ride when they are running properly.

Like the unique hoist you have there.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Yes, it does take a 'village'. And, you certainly listed some prominent citizens of this one. These type of success stories are what do keep us going. Now, enjoy! (And, as Steve mentioned, neat engine hoist!)
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Kneedragger-1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kneedragger-1 »

Great job on your 1980. I have a really nice C model which is now wearing a pile of improvements purchased from Bill Brint at Tim's. Bill is a great guy and a credit to this very helpful and giving website.

Bill Mammosser, Swain, NY

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Don't want to be a smart aleck, but it doesn't look like an '80. 8)

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

some 79 bits and bits of 80...date stamps on neck and engine case "might" settle that or just add more confusion.

It looks great and if it runs great that's what matters most
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

You may call the wheels and the shocks "bits", but the only '80 piece I see is the lidded tailpiece. And that is a very common modification for a '79... 8)

Want2ride
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Want2ride »

It’s a ‘79 with some bits from various sources. The PO put the ‘80 tail piece on. Yes it’s been around the block a time or two but it has some life left in her.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Want2ride wrote:It’s a ‘79 with some bits from various sources. The PO put the ‘80 tail piece on. Yes it’s been around the block a time or two but it has some life left in her.
that would be same for most cbx...although I have all the original pieces my Z is becoming a frankenbike, not only parts from other Cbx but other Honda models CB750 nighthawk, CB900 and other brands, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Husqvarna and soon Suzuki, whatever works best 8)
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by desertrefugee »

Beautiful bike, thorough restoration, understanding wife. What more could a man ask for? I’m also glad for the collective wisdom on this site, all of whom freely give of their time, experience and sometimes even parts.

One nit to pick. Please don’t hate me. I sure hope your wife “rode” the bike and didn’t “drive” it!
'86 VMax, ‘83 ZN1300-6, ‘78 GL1000, '75 750K

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

This is a great report!

From my own experience, I can recommend TNK, which are available from Race Tech. While you have those forks apart, do yourself a favor and install a set of their cartridge emulators if you haven't already. IMO they are probably the best modification you can make to a damping-rod fork for the money.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Kar1zma
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Kar1zma »

Sir beautiful machine
I hope to have one just like it

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Wonderful. So great to see it all together. Go ride!
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Ditto on the Syscrush comment regarding installing the RaceTech emulators in the forks. Makes a very different bike of it. DIY can do for ~$150 or less.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Larry Zimmer wrote:Ditto on the Syscrush comment regarding installing the RaceTech emulators in the forks. Makes a very different bike of it. DIY can do for ~$150 or less.
$150 is what it cost me have a machine shop do the drilling, the only other cost was the RT emulators themselves...amazing improvement worth every dollar spent.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”