Arizona Riding Season and a Few Thoughts

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Arizona Riding Season and a Few Thoughts

Post by desertrefugee »

The switch has been flipped in Arizona. From 100-105F to 80-85F in the last two weeks. 70's this week.

Anyway, I'm alive and in the garage again. I have the Pro-Link swingarm to go on soon and a set of Mike Nixon-messaged carburetors waiting in the queue. The bike has been running well, but with bit of a ragged idle. Easily holds 1000RPM but stumbled slightly off idle. (More on that in a bit). The bike has been easily and gratifyingly streetable as-is.

I took the CBX for a 100 mile jaunt today. Runs like a scalded dawg. A couple of young Harley riders pulled alongside to my left at a light with an older Goldwing trike pilot just behind them. I was surprised when the Harl ey guys pegged throttles and laid down on their tanks (for speed, no doubt) and took off. I say to myself "why not?" and, from a solid 50 foot disadvantage, easily ran them down in just a few seconds. I toyed with them a little and turned right. I don't think they had a clue what the bike was - and probably wouldn't have know even I they were told.

But, here's the funny thing, after a few really spirited bursts up to redline today, the ragged idle and off-idle stumble have disappeared. How could idle jets have cleared up with that sort of activity? At first I didn't notice it, but realized that the idle was like silk with all six purring away! Had to turn the idle back down a bit to compensate!

So, here's question: Would there be any downside to keeping the Mike Nixon prepared carb rack dry and wrapped indefinitely? Is there a shelf life on these babies - particularly if they are dry? I'm not sure. What I AM sure is that I have no reason to pull the current rack other than some less-than-desirable cosmetics.
'86 VMax, ‘83 ZN1300-6, ‘78 GL1000, '75 750K

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Arizona Riding Season and a Few Thoughts

Post by daves79x »

That can happen to a lucky few. The carbs will keep just fine on the shelf.

Dave

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”