Life’s been busy.

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Limey01
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Life’s been busy.

Post by Limey01 »

Well I haven’t been here in a while but life, work, family, etc. has just been in the way. Put the X up on the rack in February and that’s where it’s sat until last weekend. In that period I’ve rebuilt front and rear brake master cylinders and calipers, replaced front fork seals, new tires, done the engine tilt and reshimmed the cams and been through the carbs. Put about 300 miles on it this last weekend and I am very happy. :D

Made a great discovery today. Tim’s CBX is only about 30 minutes from my house! Went over there this afternoon and spent a while chatting with Bill. Bought some new cables but not much else but great to know that spares are so close.

Made a bad discovery. One of the reasons for pulling the carbs was because the choke flaps weren’t closing on the left three carbs. As soon as I got them off something didn’t look right on the no. 1 carb. Turns out that the mounting brackets were bent and some, “insert your own expletive”, had tried to compensate by grinding on the end of the shaft in order to try to get it to turn. Some delicate repairs with a braze and some whittling down repaired the shaft followed by some careful tweaking of the brackets and everything is now working as it should. The old girl now starts and runs great!
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Re: Life’s been busy.

Post by Larry Zimmer »

GOOD on ya for the garage work. Great to hear people doing that type of thing. Good old ingenuity! Yes, Bill is a great guy. He will be happy to help with anything he can. We need his type for our community; and, to support them.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Having a great resource like Tims nearby sure would make CBX ownership easier.
Glad you got the carbs sorted.

Limey01
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Limey01 »

I’ve done many sets of four cylinder carbs in the past, but I’ve never done any that I’ve got to spend a day and a half making special tools just to get to the adjuster screws. These bikes are definitely something different. And I love it. Just to have one of these bikes out on the street and running well is a fantastic feeling. So many people have come up to me and asked me about it in just the last two days. One of the best products to ever come out of Japan.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”