Suspect noise

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
jerry smith
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Suspect noise

Post by jerry smith »

The other day after a ride ther was a rattling noise at idle.I've adjusted the clutch and the cam chains and the noise has diminished(diminished isn't a comforting word). It's quieter and shifts well but on deceleration,especially on downhills there's a noise,kinda like gears not meshing,or maybe clutch noise. It's got 29000 km on it now. I suspect a clutch problem, but I'd kinda like to ride it for 2 more months before I do a winter tune up -valves clutch etc. It idles and pulls well so I think it must be a clutch thing. Still had a great ride today but worried about my baby.
Jerry

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Re: Suspect noise

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Could be alternator clutch, Jerry. Pull the alternator this Winter. Check the clutch plates. These things can make a sound, especially at idle, like a box of rocks. If scored, use some heavy sand paper on a flat surface (like a granite kitchen counter top) to 'lap' them smooth. Good job for some night when your wife is out!) Might be some small grooves in them -- not to bother. Just get the overall surfaces smooth. When you reassemble, be certain to get the parts in the correct order: that's the thrust washers, etc. Note things when you disassemble. Also, you might add a washer over the spring of about 0.5 mm (.020") to increase spring preload. Most of them 'sack' a bit with age. Also, be certain to lube the plates with moly grease or a engine rebuild lube when you reassemble.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

We call the alternator clutch noise a 'chirp', especially on deceleration. If it's squawking all the time, you'd better pull the alternator now and have a look. Worn clutches, as Larry said, bad bearings, lots to look at in there and needs serviced at regular intervals.

Dave

jerry smith
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jerry smith »

OK thanks. never wouldv'e considered alternator.
Jerry

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”