How close is too close – oil line to header?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

How close is too close – oil line to header?

Post by desertrefugee »

While doing my clutch fix, I am confirming what I already knew. This right side oil line runs perilously close to the RC header. And is the original oil line. Has anyone addressed this or do we just throw caution to the wind?

I would prefer not to do that. Thinking about some shielding.
IMG_0032.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'86 VMax, ‘83 ZN1300-6, ‘78 GL1000, '75 750K

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: How close is too close – oil line to header?

Post by EMS »

Darrell:
There is a shield on the right side which separates the oil line from the stock header. I don't know if the RC exhaust runs closer in that area.

ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-HONDA-CBX ... SwIdpZwtUI

desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by desertrefugee »

Thanks, Mike. I have the OEM shield, but am the worrying type.
IMG_5957.JPG
In front of the shield the pipe is still pretty close to the oil line. Guess maybe I'm just being paranoid...
IMG_5942 - Copy.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by desertrefugee »

You know, I've poured over many dozens of photos and see that I actually AM being paranoid. It looks like my exhaust routing is not appreciably closer than many of those I'm seeing - including the factory config. It just reminds me of a very unpleasant experience with a VW once where an oil line melted on an exhaust pipe. It was dark, so I didn't see the cloud behind me. Luckily, I smelt it, stopped in time and didn't frag the motor, but it was close. There was less than a quart left in the case.

Spooked me for life, I guess.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”