Another Stuck Clutch Cover

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Another Stuck Clutch Cover

Post by desertrefugee »

Sheepishly, I appeal to the collective on this one. Pulling my clutch cover, it is broken loose from the case and is free on the right side. But, it is bound pretty tight on the left side. It actually moves off the case, but something internally has ahold of it. I did a search and see this is common - as it has been on others I've done - but this one is different. The cover is not stuck to the case. It's hung on something. Any idea what that something is? I've tried numerous combinations of clutch engaged and disengaged. It actually seems more stuck with the clutch pulled/disengaged. I can pry, but it will take a lot of force to free it. I can tell. Am I missing something?

Yes, all bolts are out and I have applied fairly liberal use of the rubber mallet. I'm to the point of worrying about damage. Hence the question.

Below is an excerpt from another thread where Dave offered councel. I thought, "Ha! Go pull the clutch in!" Well, it didn't work in this case.

Re: stuck clutch cover
Postby daves79x » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:34 am

Kent: Put the cable back on and adjust. Then simply pull the clutch lever at the bars and it should pop right loose. Alternately, do as the guys said, but put a leather glove under the spot you want to hit with the hammer.
Dave
daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: stuck clutch cover
Postby kbart1 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:44 pm

thanks guys

all great info and dave that's exactly what I did. cable back on, adjusted it so it was pretty tight, tied back the clutch lever and a couple good thunks with the mallet and she popped right off. now I have to clean off the old rock hard gasket, without damaging or stripping my paint.

thx
kent
'86 VMax, ‘83 ZN1300-6, ‘78 GL1000, '75 750K

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Another Stuck Clutch Cover

Post by desertrefugee »

OK. Nothing to see here. Move along.

(Embarrassed).

I gotta learn to count. Eleven (11) cover bolts. That was my count last night before retiring. Stuck cover. Still stuck this morning. Yup. Went to get another cuppa and cry to the collective. Go back out and find a sneaky #11 under the oil line. I could have sworn I counted eleven.

Sheesh. Sorry for the wasted bandwidth.
'86 VMax, ‘83 ZN1300-6, ‘78 GL1000, '75 750K

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

Yup !! I know about that little short bugger hiding behind the oil line. BTDT :oops:
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

If I remember correctly, me too. Have a few others, too. Some other time. :oops:
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Me three :-)
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”