Crankcase Ventilation and Blow-by

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Crankcase Ventilation and Blow-by

Post by desertrefugee »

Well, hoping to avoid any major expenditures on this custom wakeup, so far I've been successful in doing only "expected" things (carbs, swingarm, brakes, alternator, cosmetics).

But...as this machine has K&N pods installed, of course it sports a K&N filter for the crankcase vent. I've run them on other bikes with varying amounts of oil haze emanating from the vent. This Z had a pretty sizeable buildup of oil in those nether regions when I got it and I faithfully detailed the area while the carbs were out. Now doing the alternator job, I notice that there are the beginnings of more oil haze. And that's with just under 200 miles. Sheesh.

How much is normal on the CBX and at which point do I begin to concern myself with excessive blow-by and start considering a top end refresh? I'd really prefer not to go there just yet. I'll do another compression test soon - I haven't done one since the baseline. Baseline was done before I ever fired the motor.
'86 VMax, ‘83 ZN1300-6, ‘78 GL1000, '75 750K

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Crankcase Ventilation and Blow-by

Post by daves79x »

Every pod set-up I've seen with the K&N vent filter does that to some degree. Best to route it so it can 'drain' back down into itself and the hose as much as possible.

Dave

desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by desertrefugee »

Thanks Dave. I'll see if I can get creative.
'86 VMax, ‘83 ZN1300-6, ‘78 GL1000, '75 750K

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

desertrefugee wrote:
How much is normal on the CBX and at which point do I begin to concern myself with excessive blow-by and start considering a top end refresh? I'd really prefer not to go there just yet. I'll do another compression test soon - I haven't done one since the baseline. Baseline was done before I ever fired the motor.
Every motor has a certain amount of crankcase pressure. It is caused by the pistons moving down, not necessarily by excessive blow-by. A leak-down test should give yo an indication of the condition of your rings.

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

What i did on my prolink is i routed clear hose from the crank case vent, under the airbox and up below the seat with breather filter at the end.
This way P trap is created at the bottom and all the liquid from condensation and some oil gets trapped there. ENd with filter on it is to high for any liquid o some up there. I should make some kind of drain at the bottom but there never is much fluid there

Sasha
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”