Aftermarket oil cooler

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Dynamohum
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Aftermarket oil cooler

Post by Dynamohum »

For those that have swapped out the tiny cooler, there must be some, which one did you go with? Besides the couplers, did you have to extend the oil lines? I’m looking at a 16 row Earls model.

preston
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Aftermarket oil cooler

Post by preston »

The main problem you will run into will be the fittings at the
oil cooler connections. Most aftermarket/euro coolers may use
an AN fitting. So there may be the possibilty that you may need to
adjust the feed and return lines.This is easy to do, all lines (braided
stainless steel lines and AN fittings can be sourced from Summit Racing)
I,m running a 13 row cooler ( they all look like an Earl's) and
made up adapters for the engine fitting to accept the AN fittings.
Note: Too much cooling may require a thermostat in line to keep
the oil at optimal temp

CBXTRA6
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBXTRA6 »

Interesting point about the Thermostat, Preston . :think:
the CBX engine in particular, definitely does not like overheating, so
In your opinion, is it better to control the problem by installing a huge oil cooler, like a 13 row Earl's, with
the esthetic , fitting and space issues, OR use the expanded oil pan and oil pick up adapter ?

Both have the same function, which is to keep oil temp under control... but ?
JP

Dynamohum
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Dynamohum »

Are these the fittings I would need? Can the OEM hoses connect with these?

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance ... 5/10002/-1

preston
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by preston »

Yes, but the fittings come in different sizes and configurations. Each project may take
different types, I used 8AN fittings and steel braided lines on mine and I machined
some aluminum blocks to fit the oil feed and return ports on the engine.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The best thing is not to let these things sit in hot traffic and idle for very long, big cooler or not. They were just not meant to do it. You can run in 90-100 degree temps with the stock cooler without problems, provided you are at some speed and do not sit and idle.

Dave

desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by desertrefugee »

Exactly why my Z will soon be in suspended animation until October.

Heck, my water-cooled '78 GL1000 doesn't like traffic in the Summer. It's just as well, my "maturing" body isn't fond of riding in the heat, either.
'86 VMax, ‘83 ZN1300-6, ‘78 GL1000, '75 750K

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

I have a 13 row Earl's cooler and a Thermostasis brand 190F thermostat. All plumbed with AN-6 lines. The thermostat (barely) fits under the tank, and the stock engineer fittings were cut and welded with threaded adaptors to take the AN hose ends.

I haven't monitored oil temps before or after these changes, but anecdotally the bike behaves much more consistently across a wider range of conditions now than it did before. I'm happy with the setup.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by desertrefugee »

I guess I may be out of touch, I've always debated the merits of an oil cooler thermostat. I prefer my oil flow to be unimpeded by something that could fail. I suppose here in the SW, it's less common to be in truly "cold" conditions, but I wonder how helpful diverting oil flow is during warmup...

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

You are not alone in questioning the value of a thermostat - there was a lot of back & forth from some very knowledgeable people about the pros and cons.

For me, the risk of a problematic failure mode is worth it. I wanted the biggest oil cooler that I could reasonably fit because where I live it is effectively impossible to ensure that I'll never be stuck in traffic, and because I valued the freedom & flexibility to ride this bike (my only bike) where and when I want. However, it also gets proper cold here, and I didn't like the idea of frequent overcooling, or not getting up to operating temp during short trips.

Overcooling or overheating are both bigger day-to-day risks for me than the risk of failure of a very simple device like a t-stat. Others (most) have made different choices.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Syscrush wrote:Overcooling or overheating are both bigger day-to-day risks for me than the risk of failure of a very simple device like a t-stat. Others (most) have made different choices.

The key issue is the failure mode of the thermostat. If the failure mode is "open" - which it should be - there is no risk.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

To the original question: I have a 13-Row Wide cooler. It has -10 ports, but I went with -6 fittings and lines in order to have lines that could actually route under the tank and fit with the thermostat. The thermostat I have is a Thermostasis 190F with -6 ports. Lines are Jegs black A/N fittings and hose ends on braided -6 hose.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by desertrefugee »

Anybody got photos of the sump connections/adapters they used for aftermarket coolers?

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

desertrefugee wrote:Anybody got photos of the sump connections/adapters they used for aftermarket coolers?
I won't be able to take pics for a while, but I am almost certain that mine were made as follows:

1. Cut the stock adapters from the stock hoses.
2. Cut the ends off of the stock adapters that connect to the sump, and off of 2 new cast 5/8-20 to press-fit nipple adapters.
3. Weld the stock adapters to the new adapters so that one end connects to the sump and the other end has an 5/8-20 fitting on it.
4. Put a 5/8-20 to AN-6 adapter between the AN-6 hose end and the new customized adapter.
5. Fill with oil and have fun riding. :lol:
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by desertrefugee »

Syscrush wrote:
desertrefugee wrote:Anybody got photos of the sump connections/adapters they used for aftermarket coolers?
I won't be able to take pics for a while, but I am almost certain that mine were made as follows:

1. Cut the stock adapters from the stock hoses.
2. Cut the ends off of the stock adapters that connect to the sump, and off of 2 new cast 5/8-20 to press-fit nipple adapters.
3. Weld the stock adapters to the new adapters so that one end connects to the sump and the other end has an 5/8-20 fitting on it.
4. Put a 5/8-20 to AN-6 adapter between the AN-6 hose end and the new customized adapter.
5. Fill with oil and have fun riding. :lol:
Pretty much what I figured. Fabrication - some assembly required. Thanks for the rundown. Too bad Honda didn't use a standard fitting.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”