Opinions requested: ProLink windshields

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Opinions requested: ProLink windshields

Post by NobleHops »

Hello fellas,

I have acquired a really lovely 82 that I am in the early stages of refurbishing, for me to keep even. Great fun! I promise to post up a project thread and show you guys my progress.

I do however need to purchase a new windshield for it and I find that there are several options available. I am 6 foot 2 and more body than legs and I generally prefer my head up and over the wind stream. Anybody have any first-hand impressions of the different windshield mounting systems that I see available? I see some have cat-eye vents for reducing the screen back pressure and others are more replicas of the stock screen. Others have a flip at the rear. What do we like, and why do we like it? Thanks in advance for your wisdom and experience.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Re: Opinions requested: ProLink windshields

Post by Rick Pope »

Clearview offers a "sport" screen. If memory serves, it wasn't listed for the CBX, but for the Hondaline fairings on other models.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

6'4" here, and I have only ever used the stock '82 windshield. I have no desire to change to anything else. No buffeting, wind in the face (when I raise my helmet faceshield), good rain protection on torso. And the lines of the screen look good, as opposed to a large lip or "bulbous" bump.

Steve
82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

You are going to be on the bubble at 6'2" with a stock-style screen. The Honda Sabre screen was 2 inches taller and worked for me (but that's at 5'9") . Clearview makes it. They also make a slightly taller-than-that screen with the cutouts for back pressure. Still looks fairly stock. There is also one that has no upturn at all and gives undisturbed air, but does not look exactly stock. I think Clearview makes it as well. I might still have one of those I don't need.

Dave

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

daves79x wrote:You are going to be on the bubble at 6'2" with a stock-style screen. The Honda Sabre screen was 2 inches taller and worked for me (but that's at 5'9") . Clearview makes it. They also make a slightly taller-than-that screen with the cutouts for back pressure. Still looks fairly stock. There is also one that has no upturn at all and gives undisturbed air, but does not look exactly stock. I think Clearview makes it as well. I might still have one of those I don't need.

Dave
Well it turns out I need TWO screens :D , and so if it's not too hateful to pack, why don't you plan to send that along with my carbs or something Dave. Good plan?
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I’ll have to check, haven’t looked for that stuff in quite a while.

Dave

CBXTRA6
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBXTRA6 »

I owned a 82 pro link for several years which came equipped with a RIFLE fairing. While I preferred the look of stock fairing & screen set up, I'm also 6'2 and the buffeting was annoying on long trips, so I reverted back to the RIFLE and shipped it to Europe where it was ridden for a few years with great satisfaction and comfort, even under rainy weather. The protection was excellent. I sold it there since.
RIFLE is well built, very strong and came with a color matched upper element.
JP

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”