Black 1979 Euro Model CBX?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Black 1979 Euro Model CBX?

Post by hondaman160mph »

Found this on Craig's list today. Is this really a Black '79 Euro Model?
Don't the foot peg rubbers look like more than 16,000 miles?
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ ... 00012.html

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Black 1979 Euro Model CBX?

Post by EMS »

No, it is not. The bike is/was on ebay several times, first for 15K. I tried to discuss this with the seller, but he is a self-absorbed, pompous putz. He has little knowledge about the CBX.
If it was an original black Euro bike, it would have at least different shocks, maybe a different speedo, different alternator and different rear fender (longer and with a reflector).
It also does not have the Euro VIN plate which is riveted on the frame bar visible from the tank to the steering neck.
I pointed out the tailpiece showing totally wrong pin-stripe application indicating a repaint, and then he changed his story about "all original paint" and came up with the repaint story for the tail.
It is likely a North American stock 79 model where a previous owner installed a Sport Kit, changed to a black tank and painted the tail black to match the tank color.

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

Thanks for that info,he recently had a '79 silver CBX for sale on Craig's list also. I did get an email response from the guy and he said he is 79 years old and getting rid of some of his "collection". He claims to have 2 more '79's, one with 10,000 miles and one with 15,000 miles.
I found out he lives only 10 miles from me. I am trying to make arrangements to look at the other 2 but haven't heard back yet.
You are right about his knowledge of CBX's. Here is part of his response,
"A friend of mine in Canada worked at a Honda dealer when he was a kid when the 79 came out and it was offered in Pearl White and also in black or red."

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

hondaman160mph wrote: You are right about his knowledge of CBX's. Here is part of his response,
"A friend of mine in Canada worked at a Honda dealer when he was a kid when the 79 came out and it was offered in Pearl White and also in black or red."
if he said "Red, silver and black" ...yeah clearly he's pullin' facts out of his butt...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

It looks like it sold on ebay for $10,900. Now the seller had added a picture of the VIN plate, which is - as to be expected - a U.S./Canada VIN plate. So, no Euro bike.
Also, checking the VIN numbers, the bike was sold on ebay in June of 2015 by a seller from Indiana for $7,900. Back then, it was black already, had the dent in the tank and already 21,803 miles on the odometer. With a crack in the speedo lense .....Now it had only 15,941. Seems like the buyer got screwed on a couple of fronts.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-Honda-CBX ... 7675.l2557

Check out this seller feedback. The bike is the second item on that list. The buyer ID is hidden, but the feedback number shows (330) that it is our seller from MN

https://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI. ... nterval=30

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Thanks Mike for all that info - you're the best at sorting all that out! That bike was a ringer from day one.

Dave

Ringnalda
ICOA Staff
ICOA Staff

Post by Ringnalda »

We are seeing quite a few ringers these days, but the community at large does not know most of the details. Even 'expert CBX restorers' like Keith Whatshisname who can't tell the difference between a 1980 valve cover and a 1979 valve cover paints handlebars, dashboards and calipers gloss black. I guess it is high time we submit an article about correct CBX finishes to one of the more known motorcycle restoration magazines so these experts can get it right...?
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

Thanks for that great information. A friend of mine was going to buy that bike and is now glad he didn't.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

To be fair: The bike was not all that bad. It was just greatly misrepresented and if someone bought it for the things it was advertised for, he got screwed. But if someone figured he would get a decent good running (???) CBX, he could have gotten a decent bike. Just not for the asking price.
If you look at it and say, what is a good running (???) 1979 with the wrong bodywork and the non-original exhaust and higher mileage than shown worth.....maybe $6,000 to $8,000 max...

I always thought that this was one of the biggest arguments for having a CBX-dedicated forum like this, where people with long-time experience can share their knowledge and prevent new potential owners from paying too much or getting the wrong bike.
I am visiting other motorcycle forums regularly and it is funny too me, how many "CBX experts" reside on other sites which do not have anything to do with the CBX and people go neither here nor to CBXWorld to get first rate advice.

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

Ringnalda wrote: I guess it is high time we submit an article about correct CBX finishes to one of the more known motorcycle restoration magazines so these experts can get it right...?
:text-goodpost:
Two thumbs way up for that.
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

There are certainly some guys to be found here that know their CBX's.
I have learned so much from them over the years and am truly grateful
to them for sharing their knowledge. Something new all the time, like the
VB63 carbs !!
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

I don't have so much of a problem with the bike being misrepresented as I do with the milage being changed.
That's criminal as far as I'm concerned.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

That depends a lot on where one is located. Here in Ohio, you have to state whether the mileage shown is "actual" or not. Not telling the truth is an offense and against BMV laws and regulations.
In other states the mileage may not be required and it would not matter. The seller obviously replaced the instrument because the glass was cracked. It could fall under "misrepresented".
There is no proof other than my record from the previous sale.
Together with all the other claims the seller made, it sure is a seedy transaction.
Anybody knows who bought the bike? Maybe the buyer shows up here??

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”