Sandcast number 12 found!!

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Sandcast number 12 found!!

Post by FalldownPhil »

Wow !! The seller must be following this thread as the photo I saw earlier with the
missing pin striping has been removed from the ad. Also, now the ad mentions the repainted tail. Wyly, it is missing the pinstripes
on the top of the tail cowl.
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Sandcast number 12 found!!

Post by wyly »

aaahhh, now I see it, thanks phil...I see the two rubber bumpers on the front of the tank are absent as well, another sign of a repaint or replacement tank...

now that I made the pics bigger the paint does look better than I recall from back in the day, lot's of wet sanding on this example if I'm not mistaken...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Don't know how we got onto this bike from here, but anyway, the whole bike has obviously been repainted. The stripes on the tank are not correct and the rivets on the front fender are painted over. Guy doesn't know what he has.

Dave

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

Hi guys,

You seem to be on the wrong thread here. This sandcast not for sale. He has only just bought it!! The one you are talking about is black not like the sandcast silver one!!!

all the best Mel #1876 :techie-error:
Bikes since 1960,BMW R27,Calthorpe 350 twin port, 50cc Maserati,C110,S90,CB92,CB77 webco 350 racekit,C72,CB450,TS125,GT380,GT750x2,Harley 45,Ariel Sq4,Vincent Rapide,NorVin shadow,GPZ750turbo,GSXR1100H,FJ1100,RC30,Moto-Martin cbx x4,CBX specials x3,79cbx x 20 & GL1500

CBXTRA6
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBXTRA6 »

<<You already see all kind of people spreading fantasy facts about the CBX, like the ebay seller in Minnesota, who has "black" 1979 for sale as "completely original". Just a look at the pinstripes on the tail shows that is is a repaint. And then asking over $12K...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-Honda-CBX ... Ciid%253A1 >>

OK, inquiring mind wants to know...
- Can we be absolutely sure that there were NO BLACK 79 (or Z model) anywhere ? not even in the middle / transition from 79 to 80 model ? this one for sale on E Bay surprises me with its 79 silver Comstar rims,and its standard 79 shocks...why ?

- As for the tail repaint, the seller clearly says that it was,in his description.
but this tail section is not from an 80 model, more like the 79 model, It has no storage & lockable cover.
JP

CBXTRA6
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBXTRA6 »

I did not read the entire post to the end before answering as above, sorry.
It does provide some clarification now, but I still wonder about the possibility that there might be some black 79 model sold, and not exclusively reserved to the 80 . Could that one be one of them ? even if it was repainted ?
JP

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Larry: Can you move these last off-topic comments to a new thread? If so - thanks! To reply to JP - yes, there were a few confirmed factory black '79s sold in Germany mostly - this according to the research Mike S has done. He might chime in. The bike in question here is clearly not one of them.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

daves79x wrote: To reply to JP - yes, there were a few confirmed factory black '79s sold in Germany mostly - this according to the research Mike S has done. He might chime in.

Dave

I am a sucker for punishment...I am sure there are some who will disagree with me. But here I go:

Yes, there are some CBXes in Europe which are clearly 1979 (CB1, CBX-Z) models EXCEPT for the bodywork color, which is black.
Most of the owners insists that they came like this from the factory. Some of them were interviewed by Ian Foster, he put their feedback in his book and now it is a fact.

Here are the facts that I know.
The few black "1979s" that I have encountered are ALL extremely high VIN/serial numbers, i.e.: over CB1-20 20000, which puts them all into a production date of January 1979 and later.
There was no 1980 SC03/CBX-A model sold directly by Honda in many countries in Europe, including Germany. The only 1980 models that have appeared in Europe are ED and DK models from Japanese production and private imports.
The production of the 1979 (CB1,CBX-Z) model ended in February of 1979
The production of the 1980 (SC03/CBX-A) model started in June of 1979

Considering these facts, I do not believe that any 1979 spec model in January or February of 1979 left the Honda factory with black bodywork. I just don't think that Honda had black bodywork to go on a bike 4 or 5 months before they officially started to build models like that.
I believe, that due to the lack of official 1980 models, Honda dealers converted leftover late 1979 models to black after the black bodywork became available. And that is what is out there.

There was a thread about Black 1979 models in 2009. Since then, we may have learned a little more...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5052&hilit=black+1979

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Mike - I do not dispute or disagree with anything you presented. My only issue with the theory is - where did the black '79 tails come from? We really do need this moved to it's own topic - we're cluttering up an excellent and important thread.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

8) :D I knew someone would come up with the tailpiece question. That is the only hole in the story. One way or the other. 1980 models did not have a tail without a lid. Maybe it was painted.
Honda did have a part-number for the lidless black tail. Whether you were ever able to order one, I don't know.

I also agree that the thread should be moved away from Mel's Sandcast thread.

Louis
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Louis »

daves79x wrote:Mike - I do not dispute or disagree with anything you presented. My only issue with the theory is - where did the black '79 tails come from? We really do need this moved to it's own topic - we're cluttering up an excellent and important thread.

Dave
I have in stock 2 or 3 NOS black 79 tails ( not with lid) and as Mike said they are from Germany. There has never been any other black 79 cbx anywhere else.
Mike, Yes you could order one in Germany for black 79 tail, but that was many many years ago.

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

The brand new black tail I bought in a job lot of NOS cbx parts many years ago came in a Honda factory unopened box. No German markings on it but there again could have come via Germany.

Mel UK 1876
Bikes since 1960,BMW R27,Calthorpe 350 twin port, 50cc Maserati,C110,S90,CB92,CB77 webco 350 racekit,C72,CB450,TS125,GT380,GT750x2,Harley 45,Ariel Sq4,Vincent Rapide,NorVin shadow,GPZ750turbo,GSXR1100H,FJ1100,RC30,Moto-Martin cbx x4,CBX specials x3,79cbx x 20 & GL1500

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

cbxmel wrote:The brand new black tail I bought in a job lot of NOS cbx parts many years ago came in a Honda factory unopened box. No German markings on it but there again could have come via Germany.

Mel UK 1876
I also had a black 79 tail, still in the Honda box in my hands at the first Mid-Ohio Vintage Days swap meet in the mid 90's, the vendor wanted $150 for it, I passed on it and Chuck Ewing bought it to re-sell. I don't know what it means or how that fits into the complete black 79 CBX conversation but I doubt the vendor was trying to fool anyone by re-painting a tail black.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”