New CBX??????

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: New CBX??????

Post by Mouse »

So.... wishful fantasy then. :neutral:
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Mouse wrote:So.... wishful fantasy then. :neutral:
I am afraid so.
Let's ignore all the passion we have for the CBX and look at the scenario completely pragmatical:

Since the days of the CBX, performance sportbikes have moved into a completely different layout as far as appearance and motor is concerned.
Even as something we tend to classify as "standard bike" today, an inline six just does not make sense. As Honda found out already back at the time, everything you can do with an inline six in a "standard bike" you can do with an inline four and better. The cost of manufacturing cannot be justified for a product that can only cost $15,000.- to be competitive.
An inline six can make sense if you look at a displacement of more than, let's say, 1500cc and there you go into the Touring segment.
A bike with a large fairing, saddlebag and all the touring amenities can command a price tag of well over $20,000.- where it can also justify a six-cylinder. Examples: Honda GL1800 and BMW K16
And I would not be surprised if someone else eventually comes out with a six to enter into this market segment. How about a Yamaha Venture with a V-6?
Or a Motus with two more cylinders? Frankly, I saw just recently that the top-of-the-line Harley has a price tag of over $42,000!!!!.. for an asthmatic V-twin. You can't tell me there is no room for something else at that price.

If you want a modern six, you have to put up with all the "crap" around it.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

occasionally manufacturers will roll out something just as an engineering/marketing exercise with no hope of recovering their investment but with the cbx they've already done that so I don't expect them to do it again....but we can always hope :handgestures-fingerscrossed: that one of the honda higher ups has the nostalgia to redo a modern version of the six...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Suzuki did the Stratosphere concept which I still lust after:

Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

Levis in the UK are in the final stages of development of a V6. Pictures in MCN a week or so ago.
Bikes since 1960,BMW R27,Calthorpe 350 twin port, 50cc Maserati,C110,S90,CB92,CB77 webco 350 racekit,C72,CB450,TS125,GT380,GT750x2,Harley 45,Ariel Sq4,Vincent Rapide,NorVin shadow,GPZ750turbo,GSXR1100H,FJ1100,RC30,Moto-Martin cbx x4,CBX specials x3,79cbx x 20 & GL1500

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”