Words of Wisdom

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Limey01
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Words of Wisdom

Post by Limey01 »

OK, so I now have, or have on the way, new tires (Shinkos), rebuild kits for front and rear master and caliper brake cylinders and fork seals. Any pearly words of wisdom out there that I need to know other than it is impossible to remove the rear wheel the way the manual tells you to on the center stand on a 1982, which of course you don’t realize until you have removed the axle and now have an immovable 600 lb lump sitting in the middle of your garage floor?
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

whatscooking
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Words of Wisdom

Post by whatscooking »

What problem do you have? I believe the tire comes out without jacking beyond what the center stand does. Get your spacers and caliper out of the way.

Limey01
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Limey01 »

Hmm, I didn't remove the spacers. Maybe that was my problem. Thanks.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Not a wheel removal tip per se but any time i am doing something like this i put a strap around the front wheel and center stand.
With all the rear end wrasslin' the strap will stop the bike from pitching forward.

harvey
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by harvey »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:Not a wheel removal tip per se but any time i am doing something like this i put a strap around the front wheel and center stand.
With all the rear end wrasslin' the strap will stop the bike from pitching forward.

Great idea Steve! and easy to do.
harvey

Ride Safe and Ride Often

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

You also need to remove the section of the bag bracket that's bolted together with stubborn Phillips-head screws. Think it also says that in the owner's manual.

Dave

Limey01
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Limey01 »

I did that (impact screwdriver) but still couldn't seem to wiggle it out through the gap. It must have been the spacer stopping it. I finally picked the back end up with an engine hoist and set the stand back down on a 2 X 6. If you have someone to give you a hand to centerstand it that is probably a good way to do it and make life a little easier.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

I've never had a problem removing mine. It can be a bit tight getting it past the brackets and fender. But, it will go. As mentioned above, do remove the spacer on the right side and the caliper bracket. Also, be certain the chain is completely out of the way. Wiggle and waggle it by going sideways. If I remember correctly, slide the bottom of the tire to the left. (Clears the sprocket going that direction.) Also, if needed, let the air out of the tire so that it will 'squoosh' down a little.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Limey01 wrote:OK, so I now have, or have on the way, new tires (Shinkos), rebuild kits for front and rear master and caliper brake cylinders and fork seals. Any pearly words of wisdom out there that I need to know other than it is impossible to remove the rear wheel the way the manual tells you to on the center stand on a 1982, which of course you don’t realize until you have removed the axle and now have an immovable 600 lb lump sitting in the middle of your garage floor?
I don't know if this counts as words of wisdom, but I strongly suggest that while you're doing the fork seals you do the following:

At a minimum, put a micrometer or caliper on the slider tubes to check for wear. If the seal is leaking, it's probably just the seal, but I have had worn slider tubes on an abused SV650 that resulted in leaking even after seal replacement. Those were so bad that I could actually feel the diameter changing as I slid my hand along the length of the tube. Any CBX forks are certainly old enough that they could have similar problems. If you do need (or just want) new tubes, I can vouch for the ones from TNK sold through RaceTech. At my request, Traxxion Dynamics ordered a set for my Pro-Link forks and reported that they were very impressed with the quality.

If you haven't already, I would strongly suggest fitting some RaceTech cartridge emulators to those forks while they're apart for service to fit the new seals. Reams have already been written here and elsewhere about the benefits of the emulators, so I won't say more about this unless you ask for more.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Limey01
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Limey01 »

Thanks for the advice Phil. I went the “quick” route and just threw a new set of seals in for the time being. I did measure the length of the springs and gave everything a quick once over before reassembly and all seemed to be in order. I do need to revisit the front wheel bearings but want to buy new ones and seals before I attack that.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

yup, race tech emulators and springs, no regrets, good value, great improvement... 8)
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Limey01 wrote:Thanks for the advice Phil. I went the “quick” route and just threw a new set of seals in for the time being. I did measure the length of the springs and gave everything a quick once over before reassembly and all seemed to be in order. I do need to revisit the front wheel bearings but want to buy new ones and seals before I attack that.
If the forks don't leak after the new seals, then your slider tubes are good enough. :)

Good luck!
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”