Pipemasters turning pale yellow..

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
gandalf_025
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Pipemasters turning pale yellow..

Post by gandalf_025 »

Put a set of Pipemasters on the bike and after riding it a few times, I noticed the new stainless pipes are yellowing slightly ...
I don't mind the coloring.... Just curious if this is normal for these pipes ??
Bike is very original and I just want to be sure it isn't time to look for an issue that might be causing this..

By very original, I mean it hasn't been touched in a long time.. Bike has 17,000 miles or so..
and hasn't seen anything but oil changes for quite a few years.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Pipemasters turning pale yellow..

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

An old thread but the some of the info is still valid.
viewtopic.php?t=1298

A number of people have coated the inside of the head pipes with Kreem or high temp exhaust paint.

I have 2 sets. Neither of the headers are stainless and i have a bit of bluing and yellowing which i am fine with.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

it's a problem we've discussed before Steve while there the possibility of coating the inside of the pipes with a ceramic coating of some sort this week I ordered a product from Autosol Bluing Remover for removing bluing from pipes, my pipes are yellow but I thought I'd give it a try...it arrived this morning and I tried right away, I was prepared to be disappointed by another over hyped product but :shock: :o it works...no endless polishing just rub it on with a soft cloth and wipe/polish it away...autosol has to be much cheaper than coating the inside of the pipes
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

CBXTRA6
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBXTRA6 »

wyly wrote:it's a problem we've discussed before Steve while there the possibility of coating the inside of the pipes with a ceramic coating of some sort this week I ordered a product from Autosol Bluing Remover for removing bluing from pipes, my pipes are yellow but I thought I'd give it a try...it arrived this morning and I tried right away, I was prepared to be disappointed by another over hyped product but :shock: :o it works...no endless polishing just rub it on with a soft cloth and wipe/polish it away...autosol has to be much cheaper than coating the inside of the pipes
I love AUTOSOL ! great product, have used it for years :clap:
JP

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Just a general FYI for pipe discoloration: The discoloration is a matter of heat. When steel, and others, get to the 400F-700F range they discolor on the surface anywhere from straw color, at the lower temps, to blue/black at the higher temps. (Won't bother with the chemistry of the matter.) Exhaust gases at the port have no problem generating these temps. The bend in the pipes doesn't help matters. Internal ceramics, etc can help prevent this heat transfer to the outer skin; and, thus, prevent or limit discoloration. Although, eventually, there will almost always be some discoloration. The only 'fix' is some chemical or abrasive material to be applied to the pipes to literally remove the discolored layer of material. The discoloration will return. Just know that a person will be doing this forever if they wish to have shiny pipes. The OEMs often use double layer pipes to isolate the outer pipe from the heat to prevent the bluing. Even that, given enough ride time, will eventually show some straw color. It's all part of that certain 'glow' that comes with age.

One thing to note is that if one pipe is significantly more, or less, discolored than the others, it would indicate a likely carburetion issue. Or, possible intake air leak.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Ringnalda
ICOA Staff
ICOA Staff

Post by Ringnalda »

Don't run the bike without moving. Start it and ride it... That stops a lot of the excessive heat.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”