Wolf exhaust system photos needed.

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Wolf exhaust system photos needed.

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Does anybody own a Wolf out of Canada 6-1 exhaust system or have pics of that exhaust they could post/send?
I had a Wolf 6-2 set-up years ago but i am trying to identify an unknown 6-1 system.
This one has the small silver exhaust can and "stacked" collector box but not the rounded arc of the header pipes that i have seen on other Wolf 4-1 systems.
Thanks in advance for any info.

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Wolf exhaust system photos needed.

Post by Mouse »

Syscrush has a Wolf 6 into 1 on his CBX
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

The header section i saw briefly is quite different from the one that is on Phils bike.
I might see it again in a couple weeks and will try and get some pics for the eyes here.

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

Were not those Wolf CBX headers all, by request only, if he felt like it, custom, one offs?
If so the way they look will vary. They sure sound glorious though.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Finally got some pics of the exhaust i was asking about.

Mouse, i don't think the Wolf pipes were quite that random.
Certainly small numbers and different "styles" but they were fairly common in Ontario and east coast U.S. in the eighties. Quite a few were at the track.

Turns out these are Carron pipes. The story i have heard is he worked with Gary Wolf in Cambridge for a couple years and they had a falling out so he ventured out on his own. Based in Kitchener. He catered more to the drag race crowd but there are definite similarities to a Wolf system.

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:
Mouse, i don't think the Wolf pipes were quite that random.
Certainly small numbers and different "styles" but they were fairly common in Ontario and east coast U.S. in the eighties. Quite a few were at the track.

Turns out these are Carron pipes. The story i have heard is he worked with Gary Wolf in Cambridge for a couple years and they had a falling out so he ventured out on his own. Based in Kitchener. He catered more to the drag race crowd but there are definite similarities to a Wolf system.

I was raised in Guelph so I would see Wolf headers on 4 cyl bikes in that area in the late 70's and 80's. Those 4 cyl units were fairly common but I only ever saw a Wolf on one CBX in that area. Phil told me he got his CBX from a fellow in Guelph, so his CBX might be the same bike I remember. The sound of that bike wailing off into the distance on a warm summer's night is what got me wanting a CBX. When, in 1992 I found a pristene 81 CBX covered in dust tucked in the back corner of Zedeno Cycle's storage barn (which I persuated him to sell to me) I had to try to get a Wolf header for it. I was in almost every bike shop in the Kitchener / Waterloo / Guelph area trying to track down or get info on Gary. I did get his address in Cambridge and went there a few times but it was always locked up tight. My earlier post is what I remember being told about his CBX headers at the time, interestingly nobody ever mentioned Carron.
An interesting looking set. I wonder what they will sound like?

P.S. Sold that 81 a couple of years later when I realized I had become a " I OWN A MIGHTY CBX !" kind of person. :roll: sheesh!

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Small world, Mouse.
My ex went to Vet school in Guelph and i spent a lot of time up there in '79/'80.
Traveled back and forth from Niagara to there on my '79 GS1000. One day heading up #6 to Elora 3 guys on CBXs flew past me. We had just passed a radar cop by the Conservation Area so i guess they figured it was safe to play. I remember the sound being wonderful.

About 6/7? years ago i tracked down Gary Wolf at the Breslau Airport where he restores Vintage airplanes. I was looking for info on the set of new 6-2 Wolf system i had acquired. Gary was great to talk to. Lots of stories about the early days of Canadian Superbike racing.

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

A GS1000 :D
My best bud in 88/89, had one of those, I loved riding that bike. That bike was the best of the two worlds of street bike at the time, 4stroke vrs 2stroke. It had the power band of a 2stroke with the compressive braking of a 4stroke, loved it. Mind you, that bike well and truly cured my "need for speed" addiction. I would not mind finding one of those again. That 8" headlight was 8)
That Gary is/was restoring vintage aircraft does not surprise me. From the stuff I heard back then he did what ever he fancied and some how made it work for him.
Was that 6-2 Wolf system an offshoot of him or was it the Wolf of (i think) German origin? I remember seeing magazine ads of a Suzuki race bike in the 80's sponsored by a possibly German company by the name of Gary Wolf.

barryadam
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by barryadam »

Steve I had a similar experience.
I sought out Wolf pipes for my Suzuki RG500 and couldn't be happier.
When learning road racing in Edmonton on my 1978 GS750, local fellow racer, Steve Dick got a new 1979 CBX with Wolf 6-2 pipes. Hearing him roaring down ice fields parkway was memorable, and why I bought an exhaust system (Supertrapp 6-2 stainless Steel) before getting my CBX.
I also spoke to Gary, about the same time and same results as you.

Barry

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Sorry, I'm a bit late to this party... I do have a Gary Wolf 6-2-1 setup which was supposedly made as a one-off for the previous owner, who knew Gary personally. The story is that GW was out of the motorcycle exhaust business by then, but that he did this one as a favor for the previous owner (who claims to have had the bike since the early 80's.

I don't have any good shots of the exhaust on its own, but I can dig up some photos that feature the header if that's helpful.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Here are some pics of the exhaust on the bike. It originally had a megaphone, but that rusted out and was cut off and replaced with a new midpipe and a Hindle muffler:

Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

And one sad picture of the system off the bike, after fresh and exciting ceramic coating:

Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

I can't help myself, I like this photo and wanna pimp it out a bit more:

Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Last night I had a terrible nightmare. I dreamed that I stumbled upon a deal from a shop who would install some vintage turbo system on my bike, including an old log-style cast exhaust manifold. I decided to have it installed because it would look good when showing the bike, and it would also let me put the Wolf system into storage for preservation. In this dream, when I was picking up the bike, after I paid the bill, the shop owner said "you're gonna love it, we did a great job hooking the turbos up to the Wolf header - and I LOST MY MIND. Then he calmed me down and we went to look at it, and it was an incredibly sloppy, awful job where nothing lined up and the gaps were closed with piles of lumpy welds. I was furious and heartbroken that my irreplaceable exhaust had been destroyed. When the shop owner was offering to make it right, I didn't even know what to ask him for.

I woke up relieved, and also no longer interested in upgrading to a cool Ti system. :lol:

Here's a recent pic of the installed full system after ceramic coating:

Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

Yup, that's a nightmare! Hope you rolled over, hugged your wife and had a better night afterwards.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”