John Davis 1982 CBX

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
reverend-ralph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

John Davis 1982 CBX

Post by reverend-ralph »

When John's family initially described what they were told the damage was to John's 82 and asked me if I thought it was repairable, I told them it didn't sound like it-once I saw it in person I knew it was a lost cause. I suggested "recycling" it and "transplanting" usable parts onto my CBX and others and thus keeping John's CBX going in some fashion or another, and they liked that idea. So, the family graciously gave me John's 1982 CBX to salvage what is usable.

For some reason I can't get photos to upload, so you will have to go to Photobucket to see them, listed under the library as John D 82 CBX if it doesn't automatically take you there. The photos of the bike on the ground are at the salvage yard, on the trailer is when I brought it home, and the rest are at my home. http://s32.photobucket.com/user/mikeyjo ... t=2&page=1

As you can see from the pix, a lot of damage was done. The frame is twisted in front-thus the forks pointing to the left approx 10 degrees, back end was also twisted-you can see where it buckled up in at least one photo. Fairing destroyed (but both mirrors survived!), gas tank impacted on both sides and tweaked underneath-had to twist and pry and smack it to get it off. Valve cover destroyed, all but 1 of the 4 engine mounting brackets on the head were ripped out, right exhaust cam holder etc. all took a hit. Right exhaust is crushed, left is probably tweaked beyond use, but won't know until I get it removed.
Engine cases were cracked either in the rear or underneath or both-you can see how the right side of the engine is pushed back (especially in the view from the top), look at the photos of the carbs in relation to the airbox on the right side-can't remove the air filter, and you can see the case is broken next to the shifter. When I got it home I pulled the drain plug expecting it to be full of water and oil as it had sat outside for almost a month uncovered and they had a LOT of rain in that area-only got a little water and oil, put the plug back in and when I poured oil into the filler hole, it only took approx 1/4 quart before it started running out the bottom of the motor. Tach took a hit, but speedo looks unscathed. Left sidecover ok (right one is MIA), rear fender/tail ok. Bag brackets look ok. Both saddlebags have damage-left one slid, but inner 1/2 of the bag looks basically ok, right bag outer is ok, inner 1/2 got pushed up by the muffler. Front fender is scratched, but maybe ok. Despite the weird angle of the front end, the forks still go up and down, although seemed a little stiff, but that may just be from the side pressure. I have it strapped to the wall and on stands under the swingarm, as the centerstand/mount is tweaked underneath. I am not sure if either wheel is damaged or not. Too much damage to describe, and a bit overwhelming at times as I take it apart, but it is a worthy project that I want to complete in John's memory.

So, the plan is you can let me know if there is anything you want from his bike with a few conditions:
1) Please only ask for parts you are going to use on a bike you currently have-running or project, parts are to be used and not sold-obviously that is on the honor system,
2) no cost for the parts, you only pay for shipping from my house to yours (and packaging costs if it is something I have to really pad well or buy a huge box for etc.),
3) I am getting 1st choice at parts-at this point I am taking the engine to use in reviving my 1979 street/drag bike-won't want the cams but will use most of the rest of it, the brake calipers-lines-etc, the alternator, ignition, and the handlebar switch assemblies. There may be something else I am not thinking of, but don't know what it would be, so please bear with me.

If you need better pix of a part, or a live description, let me know. This is 1st come, 1st served. This is also posted on the ICOA site.

As a side note, I am picking up John's 1100R tomorrow and bringing it home for reassembly, photos and then posting it For Sale. Will put that out in a separate post when ready.

Mike

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: John Davis 1982 CBX

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Mike, you are a good man for taking on what must be a difficult task.
A great way to honour the spirit of John and his love for the CBX.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

As Steve said, Mike. Thanks isn't enough. But, thanks!
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Larry Zimmer wrote:As Steve said, Mike. Thanks isn't enough. But, thanks!

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

PM sent

Sasha
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

reverend-ralph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by reverend-ralph »

My apologies, but I have to put everything on hold. Tom Davis (John's brother that I have been working with) called me this afternoon on my way home with John's 1100R, and told me they have decided to file a claim with the insurance company for the CBX. The good news is that Tom has made it clear to the insurance company that he wants to keep the CBX for parts/sentimental value. I will be sending pics to the insurance company to show them that it is indeed beyond repair. So with that in mind, I cannot in good conscience start sending parts away until the insurance company signs off on it, and the bike is indeed "mine".. Tom was optimistic that it will be a fairly quick process based on his conversations with them, but I have zero experience with insurance totaling a classic bike, so patience is the word. Please continue to send me your requests, and I will keep track of them.

Again, my apologies, but I have faith we will get there.

Thanks,
Mike

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

No problem, thank you
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

reverend-ralph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by reverend-ralph »

And thank you all for the kind words. Despite the obvious difficulty of the situation, it has been a pleasure and helpful to me personally to assist the family in getting through all of this. They have been very gracious and appreciative, and were appreciative of all the kinds words this group had about John. Interestingly, brother Ted is now talking about getting his own CBX! Go figure!

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

Mike;
Just wanted to say Thank You.
I never met John but he obviously meant a lot to many people. You have honoured his memory in the best possible way, by helping his family. Plus you have honoured us (the group) by passing on the messages of condolence those of us that knew John sent and by thinking of us in the possible parting out of Johns bike as a memorial to him.

Thank You
D.J.
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

reverend-ralph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by reverend-ralph »

I have received the title for John's 1982 CBX, so I can now start pulling parts-of course my garage is detached and not heated, and it is colder than you know what here, so it will be slow going. Probably won't be ready to start shipping until after the holidays. I will be sending confirmation emails out in the next week or so to confirm who has asked for what before I start sending parts to make sure everyone still wants what they asked for. If you wanted pics of an item and you haven't received them, please let me know and I will try to get pics to you ASAP. Thanks for your patience.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Thanks, Happy holidays to you.

cbxsei
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by cbxsei »

I have the same 82 and was having issues with the charging system.
I am interested in purchasing the upgraded alternator.
Please let me know how much or where I can donate the equivalent.
I will pay for shipping expenses as required.
Thanks.

You can PM me at any time

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Alternately, it is very easy to diagnose and fix your stock charging system.

Dave

reverend-ralph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by reverend-ralph »

cbxsei wrote:I have the same 82 and was having issues with the charging system.
I am interested in purchasing the upgraded alternator.
Please let me know how much or where I can donate the equivalent.
I will pay for shipping expenses as required.
Thanks.

You can PM me at any time
The alternator has already been spoken for.

reverend-ralph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by reverend-ralph »

daves79x wrote:Alternately, it is very easy to diagnose and fix your stock charging system.

Dave
That has been the case with my "rat bike" '79, approx 60,000+ miles-lots of drag racing and all it has ever needed is brushes, although I know others' bikes have not been as trouble free.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”