Last Post

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Last Post

Post by EMS »

I would like to let you all know that and why I am quitting this forum.

As you all know, I have never shied away from a good argument, both about facts and opinions, and that has definitely earned me the stigma of being controversial.
For some time, it has rubbed me the wrong way, that a certain member here, let's call him Jeff Bennetts, makes snide remarks about the ICOA and keeps telling everybody that everything was so much better when his friend Mike Barone and he ran the ICOA. Although he is no longer an ICOA member, he comes here, to the ICOA forum and puts up his little kicks. He wouldn't last two days on Dave Krager's CBXWorld, if he would dare to pull stunts like this against Dave or Mark Miller.
Here, unfortunately, we have a (past-) administrator, let's call him Nils Menten , who is borderline anally concerned about having peace and quiet and no controversy ( I have yet to find an internet forum which is totally free of controversial exchange). Consequently, I am reprimanded behind the scenes for "causing trouble" and "driving people away" from participating here.
Last time this happened, I shared this with the other ICOA Directors and told them, I would reduce my presence here, if this was the case and it would help increase membership numbers.
I did not get any encouragement to stay, so I thought, well, it must be the general opinion that I am really representing a problem on this forum.
I realized that one of the reasons Nils is so very interested in having a nice and well behaved crowd here, is that he needed this site to advertise his new business. And so he does.
As a result, I stepped down as secretary of the ICOA effective January 1, and also cut down on my visits to the site and refrained from making so many posts.

Today's events showed me it was a mistake not to completely quit and I am doing this now.
It was a nice ride and I enjoyed all the discussions we had here.

If any of you should have a CBX-related question that you cannot get an answer here - or any other motorcycle related question for that matter, send me an e-mail. I will be happy to help.

Mike

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Re: Last Post

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Mike, you are not the ICOA.

The ICOA is a sum of its part's, which in this case are people, not numbers, formulas, equations or theories but people exchanging ideas and opinions, unfortunately for you everything needs to be boiled down, dissected and holmolginised to the point of obsession. It's just gets old no matter your intentions.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

I find EMS a bit prickly at times but hey that's no biggie I also found EMS to be very helpful when asked(and I need a lot of help)...I would hope whatever caution EMS received for that exchange should've been minor in comparison with the other poster received, calling other forum members names just for supplying the info that the poster requested, that was waaaay out of line and over the top...IMO he owes EMS and Dave an apology for that uncalled for tirade...

If I get kicked out for expressing my opinion on the matter so be it...CBX world is a nice place too, although I still haven't figured out how to post pics there yet :(
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

I have (privately) suggested to Mike Simon (EMS) that his tone is at times off-putting, and has inhibited participation by people that don't know him. The problem in my eyes was not strictly due to his penchant for pedantry and bickering, but that he did it with the mantle of a club officer, which had the inevitable result of having people associate him very closely with the ICOA. I did not (do not) think that reflected the rest of us as well as I wished.

Those of us that do know him know that he is highly intelligent, knowledgeable, very experienced with the CBX (and many other vintage machines), and has been kind and generous with his time, his knowledge, and in my case his parts trove, while I was restoring my bike. He has also contributed hundreds of hours in service to the ICOA. That's the rest of the story, and my respect for him and his contributions are another reason that I kept my criticisms off of the board, and between us.

I am definitely still a little protective about the quality of the dialog here. Possibly too protective, but that's not for me to say I think. Without dredging up boring stories, this forum and the tremendous knowledge base it contains had nearly collapsed when I came along, and I spent quite a lot of <everything> rebuilding it. So yes, some residual sense of guardianship remains. If folks feel like I should keep that to myself anymore, I will, and this would be a good time to say so. I certainly made mistakes along the way and alienated some people as I was trying to put it back together. I did the best I knew how at the time.

I too have largely redirected my energies to my new career, including my restoration and vapor blast business. And years before I did this, I setup vendor forums here and encouraged several of the boutique and 'cottage' businesses that serve the community to post and communicate with the community here, and their potential customers. And that also included several compilations of resources and links I compiled, that don't in fact include me at the moment. My 'advertising' has been confined to a single thread I maintain in that vendor area, and I allow myself no particular advantage over other vendors other than the fact that I do keep the post current, which keeps it near the top. If anyone feels like that participation is inappropriate or unwelcome this is certainly the time to speak up.

I know Mike well enough to know that he will read this thread and so I will offer both my thanks to you Mike and also an apology for at times coming down on you privately if you feel it was unwarranted. Happy trails to you, and I hope something fulfilling takes the place of this for you.

Nils Menten
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

I've told Mike before, and I'll say it again; I value your input here, and have never taken offense to anything you have said. I appreciate your knowledge and the help you have given so many people. I am very sorry to see you go. Maybe if others who feel the same will say something, you might reconsider.
SCH Rochester, MN

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jnnngs »

Personal view is that the forum is better off with Mike's (EMS) contribution, than without it. Being challenging, expressing opinions, being contentious (at times) is what makes the forum what it is.

(I have shared the above previously with Mike)

Paul.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Agree with all the above sentiments. Much as it may seem at times, Mike and I do not really disagree very much at all. It's really minutia that we have lively discussions about and, as echoed above, what many find quite fun and informative. I know Mike very well and off-line and in person we hardly disagree. Mike's command of the English language is nearly impeccable, indeed most native-born folks should do as well, but I've always felt that, in the heat of a 'discussion' something maybe doesn't translate just right.

Mike will likely still follow the forum and show up from time-to-time at events. Life will go on and we'll all just try to do our best.

Dave

Z Grand
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Z Grand »

Mike - I've always found your posts and knowledge extremely helpful here. Having a fairly diverse (if small compared to some) stable of motorcycles, I frequent a lot of different internet forums (probably too many). I don't follow every post on all the forums I visit, so I haven't really been aware of any animosities on this one. But I will say that compared to some of the forums I visit, this is the least contentious one I belong to.

Stick around, dude --- we need ya!

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

From me -- DITTO all of the above. Always look forward to seeing you and hearing from you Mike.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

swarrans
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by swarrans »

Ditto me too for what it is worth - Mike and Dave seem to me to be the stalwarts of this forum and it would be a real shame if he left. That New Orleans guy that was perhaps Mike's last straw was a complete ar$e IMHO and why Jeff would virtually plead with him to not go is a mystery to me.....

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

Stick around Mike. We all have our failings some more than others. The uk cbx club site nearly imploded back in 2008 but got through it when everybody calmed down. Will keep sending you surviving engine and Vin numbers so don't give up maintaining your record.
Mel UK #1876 :flags-australia: :flags-canada: :flags-usa: :flags-wavegreatbritain: :auto-sportbike:
Bikes since 1960,BMW R27,Calthorpe 350 twin port, 50cc Maserati,C110,S90,CB92,CB77 webco 350 racekit,C72,CB450,TS125,GT380,GT750x2,Harley 45,Ariel Sq4,Vincent Rapide,NorVin shadow,GPZ750turbo,GSXR1100H,FJ1100,RC30,Moto-Martin cbx x4,CBX specials x3,79cbx x 20 & GL1500

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

Mike;
I'm a relative newbie here and I don't know all the history behind your decision, but please don't let one person who's ego bubble got burst drive you away. Your knowledge and generous help is too valuable for those of us struggling to understand our CBX's.
Don't leave, Please.

Mouse
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

gak1047
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by gak1047 »

I have known Mike for a long time. We have had dinner together, rode together, and even took trips with our wives together. I have always found Mike to be very intelligent, generous, and most of all honest. He can come across at times as a little over the top, but he is just very passionate about his motorcycles. For him to drop out of this forum because of the ramblings of some MENTAL CASE is a shame! I hope he reconsiders and realizes that the views of a few do not reflect the views of the group!

mike209
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by mike209 »

All that is pretty solid opinion, I am with all the guys above who wants Mike to stick around

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

And just so there's no doubt, I am too.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”