6ix in print

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
sasquash
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

6ix in print

Post by sasquash »

The Toronto Star publishes each Saturday a section called Wheels and part of which is a feature called Eye Candy. This past Saturday, they printed my submission on my 79 CBX. The story is in part about my long time lust for a 6 pack (which until I bought my CBX was fulfilled through 6-packs of beer).

For those who do not get the Star, the link to the on-line version is as follows:

https://www.thestar.com/autos/2016/05/1 ... cycle.html

Of course there are several pictures of my CBX.

Hope you enjoy as much viewing it as I did preparing it.
6ix-78-9

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 6ix in print

Post by Mouse »

:text-goodpost:
Congrat's on the article. :clap:
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Way to go, Peter.
Nice representation of the big six.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

nice find...when you come back this way let me know what day and if it's on a Wednesday we can drop by Fred's for garage night, or bike night on Thursday.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

Great article. Saw it via my daughter who lives in Cochrane nr Calgary. Then a buddy from near Toronto sent it as well!!!
cheers Mel UK #1876
:flags-australia: :flags-usa: :flags-canada: :flags-wavegreatbritain: :auto-sportbike:
Bikes since 1960,BMW R27,Calthorpe 350 twin port, 50cc Maserati,C110,S90,CB92,CB77 webco 350 racekit,C72,CB450,TS125,GT380,GT750x2,Harley 45,Ariel Sq4,Vincent Rapide,NorVin shadow,GPZ750turbo,GSXR1100H,FJ1100,RC30,Moto-Martin cbx x4,CBX specials x3,79cbx x 20 & GL1500

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

Wait wait... Article question...

You rode from Toronto to BC and didnt stop by Regina to say hi?

Seriously though, cool to read. I plan on a roadtrip with the prolink once I get suspension and brakes replaced. Anything unique you found with the CBX and that kind of mileage?

Lash
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Lash »

Peter, we are going to have to meet up again at the forks, if it ever warms up enough !

sasquash
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by sasquash »

Lash,
Peter, we are going to have to meet up again at the forks, if it ever warms up enough !
You're on. The road into the forks is one of my favorite rides though I always tense up doing that 180 degree turn. I made it to Belfountain a couple of weeks back on one of those surprise days of an Ontario spring where the sun shone and the temperature hit high teens.

You name the date and I'll pretty much be a show.
6ix-78-9

sasquash
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by sasquash »

RJ CB650 wrote:Wait wait... Article question...

You rode from Toronto to BC and didnt stop by Regina to say hi?

Seriously though, cool to read. I plan on a roadtrip with the prolink once I get suspension and brakes replaced. Anything unique you found with the CBX and that kind of mileage?
Where is Regina? I may have blinked. LOL

I noticed oil consumption was greater than I had expected, more in the first half of the trip than the last. My rides are now shorter and speeds slower thanks to those speeding tickets and a lot of riding in the city and so I've not noticed any great amount of oil consumption. My CBX knowledge and experience is slim however I believe older engines needed to burn a small amount of oil. (I hope I'm not getting this mixed up with 2-strokes - haha). I didn't track my mileage but I do know those 6 carbs feeding 6 cylinders makes it as thirsty as a modern day car - maybe even more so.

So if you are planning a longer trip on your pro link, you could always head to Toronto and say hi.
6ix-78-9

sasquash
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by sasquash »

wyly wrote:nice find...when you come back this way let me know what day and if it's on a Wednesday we can drop by Fred's for garage night, or bike night on Thursday.
Wyly and Mouse,

I know we had a very tentative 'discussion' where my visit to granddaughter in Vancouver would be on my CBX and in the process meet you in Calgary and the two of us continuing on to Canmore to hook up with Mouse.

Sadly, it's not going to happen. When I calculated the cost of rooms and meals and yes, gas as it gets sucked into those 6 carbs, it became obvious that my pocketbook was much smaller than my vision.

But maybe sometime in the future? Maybe as soon as I win the lottery. In the interim, I get to ride on an airplane - I can't think of anything less pleasurable.
6ix-78-9

sasquash
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by sasquash »

cbxmel wrote:Great article. Saw it via my daughter who lives in Cochrane nr Calgary. Then a buddy from near Toronto sent it as well!!!
cheers Mel UK #1876
:flags-australia: :flags-usa: :flags-canada: :flags-wavegreatbritain: :auto-sportbike:
It is both a small world - communication threads from Cochrane and Calgary to the UK - and a large community of CBXers.

Thanks Mel for your appreciation.
6ix-78-9

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

sasquash wrote:
I didn't track my mileage but I do know those 6 carbs feeding 6 cylinders makes it as thirsty as a modern day car - maybe even more so.
I recall a time when I made an effort to obey the speed laws on a full day's riding on highway( very low on cash for fuel and a long way from home) I recorded about 45 miles per gal...but that's not my normal riding mode, a big twist of the throttle at every opportunity is my normal, predictably millage drops to less than 30mpg. :D
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

sasquash wrote:[

Wyly and Mouse,

I know we had a very tentative 'discussion' where my visit to granddaughter in Vancouver would be on my CBX and in the process meet you in Calgary and the two of us continuing on to Canmore to hook up with Mouse.

Sadly, it's not going to happen. When I calculated the cost of rooms and meals and yes, gas as it gets sucked into those 6 carbs, it became obvious that my pocketbook was much smaller than my vision.

But maybe sometime in the future? Maybe as soon as I win the lottery. In the interim, I get to ride on an airplane - I can't think of anything less pleasurable.
Thats life.

Best way l found to deal with airplane rides is to carry an iPad with some old B/W movies on it. Put on some headphones and just ignore the lunacy around you. :-)
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”