CBX1000 zero mileage

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

CBX1000 zero mileage

Post by jnnngs »

Fancy a zero miles / unregistered / unused 1000Z?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301940142867? ... EBIDX%3AIT

and its only £30k (around $45k)...

Paul.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: CBX1000 zero mileage

Post by EMS »

I want to be the "Doubting Thomas" again, but the front rotor doesn't look to me like it has 0 miles on it.
Besides, no new CBX ever had 0 miles on the odometer when sold new. Mine came with 2 km on the clock, when I bought it off the dealer. :roll:

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jnnngs »

EMS wrote:I want to be the "Doubting Thomas" again, but the front rotor doesn't look to me like it has 0 miles on it.
I was wondering about that aswell. It doesn't have the rubber bumpers on the front of the tank, or the warning sticker on top of the tank. But, everything else looks right.

Paul.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Sure is pretty.

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

Another school bike? Maybe is part of mobile ebay, but any details on it. Zero miles of course does not mean all original

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The caution sticker on top of the tank was dealer installed during prep, I think.
No 1979 school bikes. Contrary to some info floating around, only 81s were donated to vocational schools.

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jnnngs »

I asked the seller about the history of the bike:

"I have had several enquires concerning the history of the bike: I purchased it from the son of the original motorcycle dealer who decided that, being such an iconic machine, he would keep back an example. My understanding is that following assembly from the crate in 1979, the engine was run. Thereafter the carbs were drained, battery removed and sump filled 'to the brim' with oil. It has not run since."

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

Well, it is interesting and a potentially believeable story but for that money, i would have to come inspect in person with one of you guys who know the bike way better than me

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

EMS wrote:I want to be the "Doubting Thomas" again, but the front rotor doesn't look to me like it has 0 miles on it.
Besides, no new CBX ever had 0 miles on the odometer when sold new. Mine came with 2 km on the clock, when I bought it off the dealer. :roll:
yup, every bike that rolls off the Honda assembly line is fired up and driven to a roller bed to be run through the gears before it's allowed to leave the factory... then it's ridden away to the shipping center. zero kms/miles is impossible unless the odometer has been tampered with or replaced.

There was another showroom model sold a few years back with 9km on the clock, it went in the high 20's ...another was listed not long after on ebay in the UK, maybe it's the same bike it was listed for a similar price.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

RJ CB650 wrote:Well, it is interesting and a potentially believeable story but for that money, i would have to come inspect in person with one of you guys who know the bike way better than me
if the milage is accurate or close to accurate you could never ride it, the value is in it's lack of use...if it became someone's daily driver the value would drop 50% instantly...it's forever doomed to be a trailer queen...it's for the Jay Leno deep pocket types but even Leno likes to ride his rare bikes...
Last edited by wyly on Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

jnnngs wrote:
I was wondering about that aswell. It doesn't have the rubber bumpers on the front of the tank, or the warning sticker on top of the tank. But, everything else looks right.

Paul.
I took my warning sticker off within a month of ownership...my Z still has it's rubber tank bumpers...it looks very good but there are details that make you question the story.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

According to the Honda parts list, a replacement tank comes without the caution sticker and without the rubber mole and clip in the front of the tank. Very likely that it could be a replacement tank out of the box.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

EMS wrote:According to the Honda parts list, a replacement tank comes without the caution sticker and without the rubber mole and clip in the front of the tank. Very likely that it could be a replacement tank out of the box.
and replacement odometer with zero miles would fit in with the questionable story...

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

EMS wrote:According to the Honda parts list, a replacement tank comes without the caution sticker and without the rubber mole and clip in the front of the tank. Very likely that it could be a replacement tank out of the box.
I agree with you 100% Mike and that is likely the case. Also a replacement speedo and there are no tits on the front tire for lack of a better word.
I personally do not believe that it is a true "0" mile bike. Too many wrong parts.
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jnnngs »

Hi,

I am not sure either way, but certainly some questions.

Things that are "wrong":
- front disc shows signs of use. In pictures, no fluid in front reservoir (now), but has been used (lightly) by the look of it. Discs mark up pretty quickly, so could be very light use (e.g. a test ride).
- fuel tank doesn't have rubber bumpers, or the warning / caution - could be a replacement tank? Maybe damaged / replaced during storage? This is the one aspect which can't explained at the moment.
- speedo show 0.8 miles. Is this consistent with a bike being wheeled around from factory -> crate -> dealer -> Test ride -> storage?
- (This is one for the "anoraks") gear lever punch marks don't line up on spline! The are supposed to, but did the factory always do it?
- tyres - no "tits"? They look OK to me, no signs of wear, and I think you can still see the "red" markings you get on the treads of new tyres. The tyres are definitely "period".

The things that are "right":
- It's definitely UK spec - everything looks right.
- It's not a "restored" bike - so very low mileage bike with maybe some NOS replacements?
- It's stated as being unregistered. Assume that to be the case, which I assume can be checked.
- Story of dealer keeping one back seems plausible. May well have been "test ridden" when un-crated (it would have been difficult to resist wouldn't it!), and then put into storage?

So, it's an unregistered bike, with very low use, in remarkable condition. Without more provenance difficult to confirm "zero miles", but nonetheless is a pretty unique bike - but is it worth that level of premium without that provenance?

Paul.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”