After the upgrades....

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Skyguy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

After the upgrades....

Post by Skyguy »

So after musing about what my CBX really needed to bring it to a level of reliable, safe, and fun ride, I decided to tackle these:

1) Have Mike N. do a complete carb overhaul. It was worth it in every regard. Not having the "Know how" to really turn my medieval carbs into something that is done right and will remain
correct for years to come. Do yourself a favor and have your carbs done "Mikes way." They work absolutely perfect now. Plus Mike has been a invaluable source of help throughout this process. Big thanks Mike!

2) Shim the valves. This undertaking is not for the faint at heart for first timers. Lots of lessons learned here. Patience is a must. With the help of "Phil", I was able to complete this task without too many "Gee whiz" moments.

3) Loose the DG 6 into 1 pipe and install a new 6/6 pipe master set. It is sweeter than I could have imagined. The quality is superb and the fitment was spot on.

4) Opt for a Corbin gunslinger seat. Nuff said.

5) Change the plug wires to red to match the bike and install new plugs. Ok, so it was a fashionista moment.

6) Ditch the strange low output coils and put in the "Green Dyna coils." Runs better. *Shoutout to Dave: Thanks for the guidance on the wiring.

7) New valve cove gaskets, exhaust gaskets, tach drive rubber thinghys, etc. Much needed replacements.

8 ) Tighten the cam chains. There is less written in the library of congress than what is written online about doing this simple task. Every little bit helps.

9 ) Tighten and torque to spec all the drive sprockets, chain, etc.

10) Ditch the K & N filter pods and put back on the OEM complete intake setup. *Thanks to Loui$.

*Tomorrow I will install the Dyna ignition.

It now runs like it should. Perfect. It starts, idles, runs, revs, perfect. It is a real joy to ride. It is not a garage queen and will be a "Rider" within my stable.
*I think my Honda Rune just let out a audible gasp when I brought the other 6 gun Honda home.

Thanks to this forum and all who helped. Truly a great community.

Sky.

VIDEO HERE:

https://youtu.be/kZEMXpomCZU

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: After the upgrades....

Post by herdygerdy »

Very nice Sky, always good to get all those 'gotta do' jobs done on your ride. Have always been partial to the black ones and the black cyl. head with the fin edges polished off always adds a very nice touch of class IMHO.

Have you considered putting in an ignition coil relay? Helps starting immensely I have found. Easy to do, and happy to send you the how to info' if you wish.

Cheers...Tony 8)

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

Now that's a beautiful CBX !! Congratulations !
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Now we need a video of you romping through the gears.
Great work, Sky.

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

Superb!!
:flags-australia: :flags-canada: :flags-usa: :flags-wavegreatbritain: :auto-sportbike:
Mel #1876
Bikes since 1960,BMW R27,Calthorpe 350 twin port, 50cc Maserati,C110,S90,CB92,CB77 webco 350 racekit,C72,CB450,TS125,GT380,GT750x2,Harley 45,Ariel Sq4,Vincent Rapide,NorVin shadow,GPZ750turbo,GSXR1100H,FJ1100,RC30,Moto-Martin cbx x4,CBX specials x3,79cbx x 20 & GL1500

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

Love the looks of those gunslinger seats, and even more how Corbin accounts for your height and weight. They currently have order approved for the gunslinger on my 82 ^.^ Nervous cause is pricey indeed, but better than my farm tractor seat. How have you been finding it? What material makeup did you get? I went pretty traditional. Black leather seat, black vinyl on the high stress with royal blue welt. Looks like you got the weave and charcoal or is that lighting?

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Skyguy wrote:4) Opt for a Corbin gunslinger seat. Nuff said.
Sorry, can I ask for a bit more? I love the looks of these but have heard complaints about fitment. How was your experience? The bike sure looks great in the video!
5) Change the plug wires to red to match the bike and install new plugs. Ok, so it was a fashionista moment.
You don't have to explain yourself when it comes to matters of style. The CBX is a style machine! If we only cared about function, we'd be on something practical like NC700's. :D
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”