Prolink gauge seat cushion options?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Prolink gauge seat cushion options?

Post by RJ CB650 »

Just like it sounds. attempting to fix my damaged bezel requires taking the gauges out. Now one wasn't quite seated properly but never looked too closely while they were on the bike. It turns out it looks like somebody in the past cleaned with something they should not of as they are all shriveled, and dissolved/glued to the gauges and readily crumbling to dust.

So those cushions are no good. I was going to check out rubber seals tomorrow that could be formed into shape and other alternatives. But seeing what you guys think?

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Prolink gauge seat cushion options?

Post by FalldownPhil »

You can find both sizes on eBay. I think several people sell them for the tach and speedo. Original Honda parts.
Louis and I both have them for the smaller volt gauge. You can also cut down a large one to make a small one :idea:
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

Saw one seller for a pair for the 79. However the part number coding, I agree with the E-bay listing statement that they will work on the 80-82 part number replacement.

That said, for 100 bucks, I might look to see if there is a more modern replacement. Will hunt around the next couple of days and see. Some things I am willing to pay premium for OEM for sure! But there very well might be something I can get through automotive or industrial that will serve the same purpose but better.

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

19.95 with free shipping $100.00 ???
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CBX-Gauge ... RO&vxp=mtr
Phil

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

Two boots, plus the volt meter, and also canuckian dollars...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Honda-NOS-1979-1 ... aQ&vxp=mtr

There is also the volt one from used cbx parts in canada but that is listed at 50 :x

I guess biggest part is paranoia. Do they usually break down or were they exposed to something. I thought it was cleaner hardened em up, but the gasket for the lamps are hardening as well. That is part of my apprehensive. Even NOS, what are they like, how will they last, etc.

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

The new ones are of very nice quality and in new condition. Yours have been exposed to the elements for 30+years and who knows what else.
Best,
Phil

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

Will ponder on it. Since I might as well take this time to do the LED conversion for the CBX as I have the cluster all apart. Plus need to straighten the mounting plate and do some touch-up painting. Also waiting for Corbin to get back to me about the seat.

She better appreciate all this bling ^.^ I just wasn't expecting them to crumble like this so has me a little frustrated. In addition poor exchange means these bubs will probably be running a fair bit more.

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

I just bought some for the tach and the speedo from Honda. $12 per gauge plus shipping.

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

tevan wrote:I just bought some for the tach and the speedo from Honda. $12 per gauge plus shipping.
Good thing I always check Honda. Ditto for that here. A little bit more for up in Canada, but total cost for both main gauges same price as one off E-bay all inc. Now for options on the voltmeter.

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

I love ingenuity. At times, gotta penny pinch. I could put many dollars into an NOS volt meter gauge cushion, or fab my own. I am liking option number 2...

Industrial grade rubber. Using a gasket for sealing industrial truck lights. A little bit of trimming and in they go.

Side part, the reason I pulled the cluster apart, the speedo side there.

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

Would you be willing to share a brand and part number for all of us to use in the future?

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

tevan wrote:Would you be willing to share a brand and part number for all of us to use in the future?
What Terry said. Let us enjoy your ingenuity first hand please :-)
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

patzx12
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by patzx12 »

I made my own, easy.
see my old post about this.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9865

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

patzx12 wrote:I made my own, easy.
see my old post about this.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9865
That was one alternative that I was thinking about.

What I have been experimenting with is semi light gaskets from Grote. They are trimmed up, but fitting nicely. The one issue with the voltmeter is that the low profile orientation does sit a tiny bit closer causing the metal bushings in the voltmeter grommets to snug up before it tightens down, though am pondering how to work with that. While I have the ones for the 4" gauges on order, I did pick up the 4" grote gaskets to see if they would work. at $1.50 a piece, is worth the experimentation at the least.

Else, might not be feedbacking too much, depending on mood. Got a call an hour ago about my 15 Tiger XCx that slid out on me last fall. Apparently part of the engine case got damaged due to how it landed. That combined with the bent footpeg (which is stupidly part of the frame) means almost a guaranteed total loss all due to a 30km/h spill that didn't even hit anything aside from the road.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”