ROOTS/THE STATEMENT

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
letxbruce
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

ROOTS/THE STATEMENT

Post by letxbruce »

Just received my April 2016 issue of Motorcyclist Magazine. There is a great article on page 48 entitled ROOTS/THE STATEMENT outlining the development of the CBX

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: ROOTS/THE STATEMENT

Post by RJ CB650 »

Will have to see if I get that magazine where I live. If not, might need to scan it after it leaves the shelves for us!

Montana69
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Montana69 »

I just purchased electronic version of that month for $4.99

https://www.zinio.com/www/browse/produc ... =244470337#/
1982 CBX1050
1970 CB750 KO
1971 CL450

Montana69
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Montana69 »

Afterthought.......... I should have spent $7 more and got 12 issues,,, Doh
1982 CBX1050
1970 CB750 KO
1971 CL450

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

Here is a link to the article.
https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&u ... VngSnbg48g
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Mitch Boehm rehashes what has mostly said before. Some things true and some things speculation and - if you analyze it - just not making sense.
One of the reoccurring stories is, that Honda worked on a 4-cyl 1000cc alternative to the CBX. that is just a fairy-tale.
Mr. Boehm even claims that this eventually turned into the CB900F. What most of the supporters of this theory ignore, is that Honda had already been working on a successor for the SOHC bikes in form of a 750 and a 900cc when they started working on the CBX.
The CBX is widely acknowledged of having the shortest development time of any bike Honda ever brought out.
And if that is true, Honda had to have the concept of the CB750F and CB900F already mostly completed, when they started the CBX. Both smaller DOHCs came out in Europe more or less at the same time as the CBX.
If you look at these bikes closely, you will see, that the CBX and the other DOHCs share many common design features. The CBX even has the same exact bore as the CB900F.
It makes one think that Honda just added two cylinders to an existing concept (the CB900F) very much like Benelli did with their 750 6-cylinder, which was a 500cc with two cylinders added and from whom Honda "copied" the jackshaft feature to reduce width for the CBX motor. All this, because they were under time pressure, as they needed to beat Kawasaki, when they learned they were going to introduce an inline six for the 1979 model year.
Having all these Honda people, who in past years were being interviewed, admit that they knew about Kawasaki's KZ1300 and this being the reason for Honda's rushed CBX development, would mean they would admit to industrial espionage. And that, of course, never happened. 8)

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”