Helmet

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Louis
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Helmet

Post by Louis »

http://www.vozzhelmets.com/

I like this for sure. I was told they will be $800.00 Australian.
Watch the video

harvey
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Helmet

Post by harvey »

It is an interesting concept. I guess it is like anything else new, perhaps better to wait and see how it works out. It is my understanding that the company is selling its first products this week.
harvey

Ride Safe and Ride Often

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

interesting, no chin strap is a definite plus but I'm not sure it suits my requirements like my modular Zeus does.

before I make my next helmet purchase I want see what's being done with HUD technology, Skully, iC-R, Nuviz and their price!
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

It is interesting, but it freaks me out. I'm not that keen on buying any new helmet technology - for helmets and brakes I want time-tested.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

gak1047
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by gak1047 »

I am not sold. I saw nothing about D.O.T. certified and doubt it would receive a Snell rating. I think I will stick with my Arai's.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

gak1047 wrote:I am not sold. I saw nothing about D.O.T. certified and doubt it would receive a Snell rating. I think I will stick with my Arai's.
Don't put too much stock in a DOT rating - the helmet manufacturers self-certify for that one. Snell is a lot more useful but still somewhat controversial. I had an Arai, found it comfortable, loved the tool-less shield changes. 2-3 years in it started falling apart. I switched to cheap-ass HJCs, have owned 4 and they have been perfect, fit great, shields are cheaper and more readily available. But they don't fare all that well in the objective testing that Dexter Ford did either.

More reading:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/27/autom ... .html?_r=0

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Articl ... lmets.html
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

IMO, this is the best and most important reading a motorcyclist can undertake. Love this article. It shows that impacts and safety are a lot more complicated than what gets reflected in standards and tests.

Even so, I have no interest in helmets that flip up or open or apart - it just adds a class of failure modes that I'm not willing to live with.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Syscrush wrote: IMO, this is the best and most important reading a motorcyclist can undertake. Love this article. It shows that impacts and safety are a lot more complicated than what gets reflected in standards and tests.
DOT, Snell, ECE? my helmet's manufacturer claims to pass all three, is it all bs?...
Even so, I have no interest in helmets that flip up or open or apart - it just adds a class of failure modes that I'm not willing to live with
yeah we all have our levels of safety that we feel secure in, I always wore full coverage helmets because I just didn't feel safe in a 3/4... I can't comprehend how anyone feels secure in one of those even smaller lids.

I worry about my modular, will it hold up as well as the manufacturer claims? I've been telling myself if fails in a crash then the impact would be so severe as to be fatal regardless what type of helmet I'm wearing.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

wyly wrote:DOT, Snell, ECE? my helmet's manufacturer claims to pass all three, is it all bs?...
It is definitely not all BS, it's just more complicated than it first appears.

What it comes down to is that a helmet that deforms more at lower energies gives better protection in low-med impacts and may fail from high impacts (offering insufficient protection), while a helmet that deforms less at those lower energies gives better protection in high impacts but transmits more energy to your head/brain in low-med impacts. So, like what you said about modulars and 3/4 helmets, it's a personal choice about the nature of the risk a rider is willing to accept.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

When you have a noggin like mine you buy what fits. I'm happy I found, after trying loads of helmets, a Snell rated modular from Shoei that does not give me a massive headache. The thought that went through my head upon see'ing this new helmet design was, in the event of a crash will first responders know how to work the unlatching system? :?
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Mouse wrote:The thought that went through my head upon see'ing this new helmet design was, in the event of a crash will first responders know how to work the unlatching system? :?
that was my thought as well, worst case scenario the wearer is unconscious with a spinal injury and some well meaning bystander not seeing a strap attempts to pull it off...

I suspect the latch or whatever locks it in place will be marked in red and our local EMS teams are very knowledgeable on such things.

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

wyly wrote:
Mouse wrote:
that was my thought as well, worst case scenario the wearer is unconscious with a spinal injury and some well meaning bystander not seeing a strap attempts to pull it off...
:naughty: :doh:
When I had my bike accident years ago, I was lying on the ground with my friend kneeling over me asking how bad was I when I heard a voice shouting "get his helmet off and see if he's OK". I said to my friend "DON'T LET ANYONE TOUCH THIS HELMET IT MAYBE THE ONLY THING HOLDING MY HEAD TOGETHER!"
I was only bashed and bruised but still .....
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

wyly wrote:I suspect the latch or whatever locks it in place will be marked in red and our local EMS teams are very knowledgeable on such things.
I suspect that a responding EMS team would cut the helmet off.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”