CBX Racing

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: CBX Racing

Post by Syscrush »

Great, now I want an NC30.

And an MC22.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

Phil Reads RC30s Mel Watkins no4 spring 1989.jpg
How about an RC30? This is me in 1989 with Phil Reads which he let me use for three months as a thankyou for assisting when I was his bank manager(President) for five years.
all the best Mel 1876
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bikes since 1960,BMW R27,Calthorpe 350 twin port, 50cc Maserati,C110,S90,CB92,CB77 webco 350 racekit,C72,CB450,TS125,GT380,GT750x2,Harley 45,Ariel Sq4,Vincent Rapide,NorVin shadow,GPZ750turbo,GSXR1100H,FJ1100,RC30,Moto-Martin cbx x4,CBX specials x3,79cbx x 20 & GL1500

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Very nice and I recall the first RC30 I saw on the road when they were very exotic and desirable, much like the first Honda 4's. Sadly, RC30's are not competitive in historic racing. That class is dominated by GSXR's that are lighter and more powerful. That is all you see. A pity really as it would be nice to see more RC30's and other makes on the track.

I can't help thinking that the classic racing rules in the UK, USA, Oz and elsewhere are all misconceived. In the UK James Fisher has to run a diaper on his CBX and putting a bellypan on an unfaired bike is just dumb especially one with ground clearance issues. A breather catch tank does tha same job and can be accommodated almost anywhere The Americans have to run headlight nacelles and other silly stuff. In Oz we can run 180 slicks that were never available in the day and the critical issue is how it looks on the outside, forget about what it really is.

I think maintaining an original look is important but the relentless search for more power is fruitless and counter productive. My solution to that problem is bracket racing. You can race any make, year or capacity so long as it is a genuine historic bike with grids determined solely by qualifying times. Taveri's 125 could be raced against Sheene's RG500 if the riders are doing similar times.

This would encourage more classic bikes and their owners onto the track and would exclude the over ambitious youngsters who see classic racing as an alternative career move. You could circulate at a pace that suits the age of the rider and the machine and avoid the kamikazi, win at all costs, dash for the line. Still have a good scratch but not have to compete with 21 year old professionals or wannabes on hot rods.

Heresy perhaps, after all, what would I know?

R.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Sorry Steve, I haven't made myself very clear. When I opined that, "One of them should go, shouldn't it?" I wasn't contemplating getting rid of one of them. It was more of a wry hope that at least one of the damn things should actually run. So often with the CBX it runs fine in the workshop the night b4 but as soon as it gets to the track it goes on strike.

Last time I took it out we were held up on the dummy grid for a little while while a crash was cleaned up. I smugly used my neutral light to find neutral (no amount of fiddling seems to improve neutral selection in a hot CBX) and give the clutch a rest and it was idling sweetly with all the others. Then the green light came on and we took off onto the track but the CBX only did about 50 metres b4 expiring with a very loud bang! A large backfire thru' the carbs and it just quit. So, I now think that was fouling of the plugs caused by the long idle and blocked slow jets but there always seems to be a new problem or an old problem that re-visits. Old bikes, you know and old fellas with short fuses. Sometimes they don't mix well.

R.

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

I really can't express to you how much I enjoy reading these posts !!
I thank you 100 times over. By the way, I was looking at a very nice
RC30 today. Also, a friend of mine had one at the IOM year before last.
Too bad that he crashed it.
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

cbxmel wrote:
Phil Reads RC30s Mel Watkins no4 spring 1989.jpg
How about an RC30? This is me in 1989 with Phil Reads which he let me use for three months as a thankyou for assisting when I was his bank manager(President) for five years.
all the best Mel 1876

Gee whiz, Mel.
I am doing things ass-backwards....i have been assisting my bank manager for decades by giving him piles of money and all i received is a couple calendars and an ashtray.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I have an RC30. The prices for the things have gone to a level where I can no longer keep it. I really want to ride all my bikes and I cannot risk that with the RC30. It may go to Bonhams.

As far as the belly pan is concerned, it is not so much for catching fumes from an open breather, but to prevent liquid spills ending up on the track. I slid on an oil patch on a track once. Not fun.

desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by desertrefugee »

I'd like to add my voice to the chorus of those who really appreciate this thread. I am not a racer, but have been a devoted fan for decades and have been to many tracks in the US from Bryar Motorsport Park in New Hampshire to Laguna Seca to Daytona. It's really special to get an inside glimpse of what goes on, classic machines or not, through your narrative.

The recent chatter about factory racers made me think of another Honda "exotic" I saw down at Nil's place (Restocycle) this past Spring. An NS400R. V3 two stroke! Another testament to Honda engineering prowess.

As Mr. Biggs would say, "It probably takes time, money and patience...
...to make sure everything is tickety boo.
...on any of these old girls, CBX, VFR/RC, NS or otherwise!

Hats off.
'86 VMax, ‘83 ZN1300-6, ‘78 GL1000, '75 750K

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

Mike,
We set up a deal for Phil to import 25 RC30's via Honda France. Needless to say Honda Uk were not happy! At that time in my spare time I was a course marshall for the Brooklands Society who hold events at what remains of the old Brooklands racing circuit banking and all. I took the RC onto some of the surviving banking and you should have seen the faces of some of the old guys who used to race there. I have to say they were very impressed with the build quality of the RC and most certainly it was the best handling bike I have ever ridden. The factory bike did of course win the WSB championship several times. Here is a picture of Phil's RC30 on my front driveway with the Suzuki GSXR 1100 I owned in 1989.
all the best Mel 1876
ps you can just see Phil had his name painted on the fairing. I wonder were the bike is now as Phil no longer owns it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bikes since 1960,BMW R27,Calthorpe 350 twin port, 50cc Maserati,C110,S90,CB92,CB77 webco 350 racekit,C72,CB450,TS125,GT380,GT750x2,Harley 45,Ariel Sq4,Vincent Rapide,NorVin shadow,GPZ750turbo,GSXR1100H,FJ1100,RC30,Moto-Martin cbx x4,CBX specials x3,79cbx x 20 & GL1500

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

This is probably a dumb question, but would you be allowed to use a ride-by-wire throttle? It's obviously not period correct, but perhaps you could petition for an exemption on the premise that it's not a performance modification but rather an accommodation for the rider? It seems like it could be a fine line to make the claim that you need a lighter throttle to be able to participate in the races without raising concerns about your overall fitness to race, but it might be worth considering.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Predictable really. My rhetorical question that, "At least one of them should go, shouldn't it?" has been answered in the negative as regards the little VFR.

Oh, it typically started well with a lovely crisp to warm sunny day at the track and everything going like clock work. A few minor issues with stands and tyre warmers snagging on things but we were ready to go.

Out in the first session and what a revelation the little screamer turned out to be. Smooth, strong and tractable V4 motor with a high pitched whine from all the gears spinning around. Flickable, neutral, light and stable handling with fantastic feedback. Powerful brakes with excellent modulation.

I found myself having to adjust all my turn in points and braking markers and it felt very untidy but it was exhilarating. The next session started even better as I started to get the hang of the little pocket rocket and I was really enjoying myself and starting to stretch the envelope. It really flew down the back straight with the extra gear, close ratios and high revving motor belying its limited cubic capacity.

And then it happened. Coming out of one of the slower corners, winding it on hard - is the fairly worn back slick spinning? Surely not. Its not that powerful but has the tyre gone off? Well, its not sliding. Feels OK. Keep going. O-oh, its happening again. Back off a bit.
Now its happening on the up changes going down the straight. Can't be the clutch. Its just been replaced. Is it the right Jayco oil? Now people are starting to pass me and its getting a bit hairy because my progress is becoming unpredictable. Time to call it an early day b4 I cause a spill. We'll have to sort it out back in the workshop.

So I found myself home for lunch with the bike up on the stand, fairing off. Nothing obviously amiss, Correct play top and bottom cable adjusters. Have to pull out the clutch basket. Now I've seen this done in a jiffy at the track. Just lie the bike on its side so you don't even need to drain the oil. The manual confirms it can be done with the motor in the frame so that's good but what's this? It has diaphragm springs. Oh no, shades of Nortons past and it requires some special spragged sockets. I think I have them but off course its a weird 27mm diameter.

So, hit the wall for the moment and have to turn my attention to changing the belts on the ride on mower - An MTD terrible piece of American 'engineering' designed by a Trump supporter. Sorry, this is a CBX forum and we have strayed too far. In 2 weeks 'the lump' will be racing again and I hope that at least it goes. Old bikes...

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Sorry Phil, I didn't see your question about an electronic throttle. Yes, if I could hide it I could run it but after many hours of fiddling I did manage to improve my existing throttle action to an acceptable level. More mods are in the pipeline but an electronic throttle won't be part of the package, mainly because my race loom has no more pick up points and I don't have the spare electrical capacity.
R.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Nowhere in this blog have I posted a pic o f 'the lump' b4 I got to work on reducing its bulk and turning into something approaching a race bike. So here is a pic of how it looked when I acquired it. Very much your typical 'C' model Prolink except for the absence of panniers. What was Honda thinking?

I didn't put it on the brake in the beginning but typically a well tuned CBX makes around 85hp at the rear wheel. We did get up around 120hp b4 that (Robinson) head blew and it is now around 107hp with more conservative porting. Weight is down from its original 275kg (dry) to around 210kg (wet). Speaking of wet, it looks like next weekend's racing might be wet if the forecast is to be believed. i don't have a spare set of wheels fitted with wets because even with wets I wouldn't risk the CBX in the rain.

B4 then we will do the 520 chain conversion 9shaving a bit more weight and My Venhill quick action throttle kit is apparently in the mail but not sure I will have time to fit that. Mght be something to do in the pits if it rains.

R.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

OK, that was then and this is now...

Ready to go? Depends on it's mood.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Never can tell until you get there...

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”