what is a the best road side assistance program

Houtman
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

what is a the best road side assistance program

Post by Houtman »

Due to me now only working part time I want to take longer trips on my bikes and leave for days at the time.I always carry a flat tire kit with me but have just signed on to the Progressive Insurance Roadside assistance program (hopefully never need it!) Do any of you have experience with them or any other companies/clubs offering similair programs ? My only real concern is to get the bike to a safe place and than I can pick it up later with my own trailer.Safe Riding John.

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: what is a the best road side assistance program

Post by SteveG »

Join the American Motorcyclist Association. Helps protect our rights as motorcyclists, gets you a decent magazine every month, a 10% discount off everything you buy at BikeBandit, and free roadside assistance for any bike or car you own. $49.00 per year.

I can't vouch for the roadside assistance as I haven't had the opportunity to take advantage of it, but it is reassuring to know it is available in the unlikely event that my 30+ year old bike breaks down.

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/

My 2 cents.

Steve
82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

harvey
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by harvey »

Highly concur with SteveG about the AMA and its towing service! If you join and pay with a credit card, you get the towing service as part of the membership. This is a good deal!

however, there are other options. The first that comes to mind is the Motorcycle Towing Service: http://www.mts-towing.com/default.asp
MTS is sort of the grandfather of this service for motorcycling and they offer several plans.

Other options include the Good Sam Club which has a really good roadside assistance plan. Natuarally AAA now has a plan for motorcycles. And there are many others available today.

Beware when you do select a plan that they will tow/provide assistance to your motorcycle. Some plans do not support older motorcycles so be sure you read that your old CBX will be covered. I urge you to check out other plans and compare before spending your money. Of course in addition to any plan, you will need a cellphone or some way to contact the provider, and it always helps to have a good credit card in your pocket.
harvey

Ride Safe and Ride Often

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

I agree with Steve. Whatever faults or missteps they have made, AMA is the only thing protecting us in Congress, and the benefits are pretty decent. I just shipped three bikes cross country for $500 each, on pallets, using the AMA discount at Federal companies. That just paid for about 10 years membership.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

It sounds as though the AMA may be the place to go.
As a second option, I use the AAA and have nothing but praise for them. They took my Harley with a flat tire recently for a 100 mile ride home on a flat bed truck. No charge.
That is the second time that I have needed to have a bike transported by them and they were great. They also cover anything else I am riding in or on including my motorhome.
Just another option.
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

Will
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Will »

Sorry to rain on the AMA parade. They only cover motorcycles.

As far as I know, AAA doesn't cover motorcycles. I may be wrong.

A few years ago we, the ICOA, were crossing the country. We were in Oklahoma, I think, and having a meal with a few who had joined us. One of the guys was also an Iron Butt rider, yes on a CBX, and that may bring his name out of hiding, because I can’t remember. He recommended “Allstate RV Roadhelp”.

Why? Because it covers anything you are driving. Car, truck, camper, motorcycle, you name it; it doesn’t even have to be yours. So let me see. I have a car – check. I have a truck – check. I pull a camper – check. I have a couple motorcycles – check. Yes, the motorcycle coverage is an add on. But, for all that it is well worth it.

I have never used it for a motorcycle, but they have dragged my sorry ass down the road with a truck and a camping trailer with a motorcycle in it when I blew a transmission in an ICOA ride in Colorado one year.

I vote for Allstate RV Roadhelp. 1-800-786-2277.

harvey
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by harvey »

Will, Don't worry about raining on the AMA Parade, you did not. If you go to this site: http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/mem ... assistance
you will see that coverage is for all vehicles, cars trucks, RV's as well as motorcycles. The limits and conditions are also listed. One of the big limits is the very short towing distance of 35 miles. But for the price this plan is a real value.

You can get a lot more towing distance with other plans. AAA does offer this but not specifically for motorcycles. Their basic plans are for household cars and trucks. However if you move up to their Premier Plan, motorcycles are included and more tow distance than AMA but also much greater cost.

The Good Sam Plan also covers all of your vehicles and is worth looking at.

All plans have their good points and drawbacks, you have to read the fine print and determine what is best for you, your vehicles, and your ability to pay.
harvey

Ride Safe and Ride Often

Houtman
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Houtman »

Thanks for all the info.After signing up with the Progressive Roadside Assistance program I also decided to become a member of the AMA again.I was a member for over 15 years but because of all the infighting and financial misteps I decided some years ago not to renew my membership.One other reason was that I am pro helmet law and they were not .However I still believe we need a strong voice and I am glad that I rejoined them again.It is a very good deal if you pay for the three years in advance and I look forward to their magazine again. Safe Riding John.

Return to “RIDER GEAR: Boots, Gloves, Helmets, Jackets, Leathers, Rainsuits, Textile Suits”