anyone do liner restoration for "period" helmets?

Sleepless
New Member & Happy To Be Here

anyone do liner restoration for "period" helmets?

Post by Sleepless »

Hi all - I gots me an old Arai, late 80's model (Snell 85 certified!).
Great helmets, but the liners on these go bad - foam gets all crumbly, start to smell like old socks, etc.
(I'm sure it does for every other mfg, too). Here is my email exchange with the Nice Lady At Arai:

ME: "Hi - I am finishing up a restoration of an 80s Honda.
I'd like to run it occasionally, wearing a period-correct helmet (the red/white/blue Arai *Freddie Spencer* model).
Do you (or do you know of anyone) that does liner restoration? "

NLAA: "Sorry, but those interiors are not made anymore so there is no way to replace the head liner to make that helmet safe.
Nice helmet!
It should be on a shelf for display as it is too old to protect you any longer but is definately a keeper.
Thanks, Kathy"

-> IT SHOULD BE ON A SHELF !?!?
If I wanna idle down main street in the July 4th parade, providing the young 'uns with a rare sighting of some treasured 80's bike,
I need to look the part (ignore the big abdomen for a minute...).
Does anyone make "parade-suitable" helmet restorations - especially liner (vs. exterior)?
I promise the lawyers I won't go over 20 mph...

~Sleepless
'77 Yam RD350, '78 Honda CM400, '77 Yam XS650, '78 Yam 750 triple, '83 VF750F, '84 & '86 VF500, '84 Nighthawk 700S, '82 CX500 turbo, Honda 1100. NOW: '85 VF700, Duc GT1K & 2 CBX pipes!

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Re: anyone do liner restoration for "period" helmets?

Post by alimey4u2 »

Good question. I too am interested as I have 4 Simpsons ( from 1981) up in my loft with perfectly good outer shells. However, with this Sue City mentality I doubt if anyone would dare undertake the job...
ICOA # 656

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

I saw HJCs at Motorcycle Superstore for $39 the other day. I wonder if it would be possible to extract the foam and piece it/glue it into your ARAI.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Thinking aloud, there are helmets with removable inner liners for cleaning (not sure what's involved here.) I wonder if they could be press ganged into duty...
ICOA # 656

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

I doubt the removable liners have anything to do with helmet safety. Its the material between the liner and the outer shell that does the work in saving your cranium.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

George R. Garrison #0857
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by George R. Garrison #0857 »

I'm also interested, my Fiber Nava Kevlar helmet is a perfect match for the 81 Prolink.

But, the liner smells like old socks and is falling apart.

I'd also jump at a chance to have a new interior.

Later, George in Delaware
I'm into motorcycles, wooden boats, airplanes, wood working and car restoration.

Sleepless

Post by Sleepless »

For AliM -
from Simpson's website at: http://simpsonraceproducts.com/faq/

"Does Simpson re-line helmets?
Yes. The helmet must be Snell 2005 to be relined. $125.00 charge for SA rated helmets, $100.00 charge for M & K rated helmets. Helmets must pass inspection by our technicians before we replace the liner. Shipping charges are the responsibility of the customer."

IMO, unless you race with your curlers and barrettes in, I'm not sure why you'd need a new liner on a relatively new, 2005+ helmet. May I suggest some stronger shampoo perhaps?

I started to consider using another Mfg's removable liner in my Arai, but upon inspecting it closer, the fabric portion of the liner and the white styrofoam are fine.
It is the 1/8 inch thick foam on the back of the liner that all crumbly, as well as the cheek pads. I vacuumed all the crumbs out, and am putzing with bicycle helmet inserts at the moment (stolen from the children bike helmets :shock: ). I may do bike pads around the crown, and then some proper new cheek pads (different thickness are available as a part of some helmet fitment kits)

~Sleepless
'77 Yam RD350, '78 Honda CM400, '77 Yam XS650, '78 Yam 750 triple, '83 VF750F, '84 & '86 VF500, '84 Nighthawk 700S, '82 CX500 turbo, Honda 1100. NOW: '85 VF700, Duc GT1K & 2 CBX pipes!

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Thanks for that sleepy...
ICOA # 656

Return to “RIDER GEAR: Boots, Gloves, Helmets, Jackets, Leathers, Rainsuits, Textile Suits”