checking for true brake disc front end

beedub
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

checking for true brake disc front end

Post by beedub »

While I'm waiting to get my motor back from a cam chain link installation, I want to check my front end. How about taking off the calipers, setting up a dial gauge and running the wheel in the forks themselves. Any problems out of this? Seems like it might require a mounting plate for the gauge, we'll see. Is the Honda spec realistic, high or low for runout. And finally, what exactly is Blanchard grinding and can any auto machine shop do it, or do you need a real machine shop?, or perhaps a heavy truck shop i know of would do it.

any little details to watch?

thanks & Happy New Year,
Big and small, I like them all....bikes that is...

broook
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: checking for true brake disc front end

Post by broook »

beedub wrote:How about taking off the calipers, setting up a dial gauge and running the wheel in the forks themselves. Any problems out of this? Seems like it might require a mounting plate for the gauge, we'll see. ,

My dial indicator is magnetic so obviously I couldn`t check the runout on the bike so all I did was remove the wheel and spin it in Vee blocks with the gauge on the side of the blocks.

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

wheel and brake stuff

Post by Mike Nixon »

Hi! I always just bolt a piece of strap steel to the axle clamp stud, and put the magnetic based indicator holder on that. Turn the fork to full stop and turn the wheel gently. It will work fine. The manual's wheel runout specs are very generous, because they are for solid type wheels that cannot conventionally be rebuilt. A wire spoked wheel can be trued much closer. As for blanchard grinding, it means the disc is ground on both sides at the same time, thus enuring the disc has minimal thickness variation when done. The word "blanchard" comes from the word for "white," "blanca," because the same method is used to shell nut meats. That is, nuts such as almonds are blanched, or fed between two rollers to shell them yet keep them in one piece. The nuts end up being white when shelled.

beedub
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by beedub »

thanks Mike. wow another thing I didn't know! Nuts! :D I always like to know how things came to be.

Do some Honda dealers do this blanchard grinding, or what type of shop should I be looking for?

thanks,
Big and small, I like them all....bikes that is...

Rich Pleines

Post by Rich Pleines »

beedub,

There is a company called Mad Machinery that has advertised in the ICOA Magazine the CBXpress for years. He does brake drilling and also refinishing. I don't know the process he uses however I have heard nothing but positive comments on his work. The owners name is Norm and you can contact him @ 518-869-1278 with your questions. Hope this helps.

Rich Pleines

ICOA Member # 1882

Return to “BRAKES: Calipers, Pads, Lines, Rotors, Upgrades & Fixes”