front brake master cylinder help

Thomasg
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

front brake master cylinder help

Post by Thomasg »

Hi, I am re-building the front master cylinder which was truly gunked up, In removing the piston the spring popped out the little cup shaped rubber piece that goes between the piston and the spring, can anyone tell me which way this is supposed to go in and also which way the spring it supposed to taper?

any help is much appreciated, thanks

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: front brake master cylinder help

Post by daves79x »

Spring goes in big end first with the cupped end of the rubber fitting over the small end with the little flat part. You will see an imprint of the flat end of the spring in the cupped end. FWIW, you may find the master cylinder pitted and it will leak and not hold good pressure. This is very common - I have a whole box full of junk master cylinders.

Hope you're not going much further into this without a shop manual - it will be the best money you can invest right now.

Dave

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Re: front brake master cylinder help

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Thomas,
First, if you are rebuilding, you do want to use all new seals. Secondly, for new seals, I would suggest you go with a kit from TIMS. Not to shill for Bill; BUT, the kit he sells comes with the secondary seal already installed onto the piston. That seal is a bit of a challenge to install. (The parts are separate if you buy original Honda.) Bill's kit is, also, a good price.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “BRAKES: Calipers, Pads, Lines, Rotors, Upgrades & Fixes”