Rear Brake MC - Guts won't Come Out

WingMan71
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Re: Rear Brake MC - Guts won't Come Out

Post by WingMan71 »

barryadam wrote:Can't tell from your pictures, but how's the bore condition? Especially at the end nearest the snap ring? The seal wiper doesn't quite come all the way back when assembled. And how does the snap ring groove area look after your clean up?
Barry,

The bore is surprisingly pretty clean and smooth.

Only a small slightly rough area just at the bottom 1/2 inch of the bore. I don't think that's an issue since the bottom seal never gets down that far.

The snap ring groove area was pretty toasty as well. I got that really clean and smooth using a Dremel tool with a small wire brush attachment. So, I think I'm good there.

Thanks!
1981 CB750C
2006 GL1800
1987 GL1200A
(U.S. Navy SWO - 1967 to 1976)

WingMan71

Post by WingMan71 »

daves79x wrote:Unfortunately, this is the condition of many m/cs we find today. You've done a good job of cleaning it, but I usually hone out the bore with a Scotchbrite ball on a Dremmel. There's a lot of crud in there and you need it perfectly clean to check for pitting, as has been mentioned. Usually the rear one doesn't pit much due to the vertical position of it. The Dremmel with a selection of brass wheels is also great for cleaning the cup and snap ring area as well. Dave
Dave,

Thanks for the tip on bore cleaning. As I mentioned only the bottom 1/2 inch of the bore has any roughness at all, but no pitting. The rest is smooth and clean.

Tell me, where can you get a Scotchbrite ball for a Dremel tool? Is that a standard Dremel accessory these days that Home Depot or Lowes should carry?

Thanks again!
1981 CB750C
2006 GL1800
1987 GL1200A

barryadam
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by barryadam »

For small holes, I make my own scotchbrite dremel attachments. Use the dremel arbor with the small pointed screw thread on the end. I use small tube or hole punches to make little scotchbrite wheels from a sheet. They don't last long, and you have to be careful and use a relatively low rpm.

Barry

WingMan71

Post by WingMan71 »

IT'S FINISHED ! ! ! :dance:

The bore was pretty clean and smooth except at the very top and very bottom. I cleaned that up using a Dremel tool with a brass brush attachment that I cut down the OD of to just fit inside the bore. That worked great. Cleaned up the little bit of roughness at both ends. Don't think the seals ever touch those spots, but I decided to clean them up anyway.

Here's a shot of the cleaned bore:

I wire brushed the external push rod parts and such to clean those up and then gave the whole MC body a nice coat of new Rustoleum paint before assembly. (Hope that holds up.)

Here's the parts before final assembly:

Here's the MC after rebuilt and painting:

That should get my buddy Walter's '82 back on the road!

Thanks again to members for all the help and advice! :clap:

1981 CB750C
2006 GL1800
1987 GL1200A

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

You guys are sooo timely. I just bought a cordless Dremel to do some ongoing maintenance on my foot,( at the suggestion of a podiatrist), so now I can play with it out in the garage too.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Nice job Wing. Sometimes these little projects turn into sieges. Looks great, bet it works great too.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Return to “BRAKES: Calipers, Pads, Lines, Rotors, Upgrades & Fixes”